GR55 Recording guitar direct to Digital Recorder or PC

Started by KuRi, September 25, 2014, 04:30:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KuRi

Hi!

I am using the GR55 connected directly to the Boss BR-1600CD. When monitoring, the guitar sounds great, but once recorded, and listening to the recorded tracks using headphones or other speakers, the guitars sound muddy, bassy and very compressed. This is something I usually get when using pedals like korg AX1000G or other older boss pedals I have but I thought that was solved when using amp simulators.

Do you know what params or set up is better to record directly to digital recorders?

Thanks,
Regards.

Jim Wintringham

Are you recording the modeled guitar, or your normal pickups? I get a great recording with either. I use the headphone out for the mod guitar, into a small mixer, and my normal guitar directly from my guitar's 1/4 inch jack ...to a Zoom G2, and also into the mixer. I use the USB out from the mixer...to my computer. Many people record using the GR-55's USB directly to the computer (after installing the Roland driver on the computer...and selecting the GR-55 as the input/ output.) I usually just use Audacity (free) to record.
Roland GR-55
Wechter Pathmaker PM 7354
Brian Moore i91.13 (China)
Zoom G2
Ventris Dual Reverb
Roland kc-300

KuRi

Thanks for your answer Jim. I have tried directly connecting the roland to the PC using USB and I get the same result, a very saturated sound. Maybe it's just a problem of EQ's but I have tried several presets from roland site and they all sound very similar : (

I am interested in recording the normal pickups after applying some effects of the GR55 (overdrive and amp simulators)

Elantric

What's the PC type?
What is the recording application?

When your Roland GR-55 USB driver is set correctly, and GR-55 Output mode is set to Line/Phones  and you record with an app like Reaper or another DAW or recording app, the playback track should sound identical to what you hear in the GR-55 Headphones during recording.

Try Roland GR-55 USB ASIO driver and Audacity, a shareware recording app.
www.audacity.sourceforge.net/

Read GR-55 Top Things to know for info you need.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=4006.0

for more important reading in my blog click the link below in my signature

KuRi

That's exactly the problem Elantric, that I don't like what I hear using headphones. I only like what I hear when connecting the gr55 to real amps, powered speakers or passive speakers with a preamp.

What I hear from headphones is a very saturated sound, the same that I record into my PC (Windows) using USB cable and Cubase.

For reference, when using Guitar Rig 5 I get a very clear and nice sound even with hard distortions and effects.

Jim Wintringham

Have you tried reducing the volume you are recording at, or changing the treble/bass settings? the EZ edit  on the GR-55 is a great tool to use in adjusting settings to compare results. As I mentioned in the first reply I am getting a good sound, but I do tend to use the clean sounds most of the time, and I adjusted the levels of all my patches to a lower level than the built in patches. With a lower level coming out of the GR-55, I can adjust the volume up through the mixer. Playing live, I use my amp (Roland kc-300) as a stage monitor...and have a DI out of that amp to our sound man for the house speakers. Always have had good results. We record our services on CD's...and usually come out very clear.
Roland GR-55
Wechter Pathmaker PM 7354
Brian Moore i91.13 (China)
Zoom G2
Ventris Dual Reverb
Roland kc-300

Elantric

QuoteFor reference, when using Guitar Rig 5 I get a very clear and nice sound even with hard distortions and effects.

Problem solved -just use NI GR5 and record that, since that's what you prefer.

Or try the over 1400 user created GR-55 patches here, I'm sure there are a few clean GR-55 guitar tones you have overlooked
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3684.0

KuRi

Thanks Elantric, but that's not what I prefer.

I mean that I would like to have a similar quality of distortions and effects on my gr55 than I get with NI GR, because I want to use the synth instruments as well, and on stage I prefer a multieffects pedal instead of a computer (although as I said before, it sounds good with amps and speakers, but not as good a GR).

I am just wondering if I have overlooked some settings that would help me to improve the sounds. The clean tones sound well, I am having troubles with distortions.

Regards.

P.D: Thanks for the suggestions Jim, I will try that and thanks elantric for the patches, I will try some again.

gumtown

Do you have the GR-55 output select set to "line/phones" and the guitar running through the amp and cab modelling?
The bassy muddy sound would explain a full range tone without the frequency spectrum limiting of the amp/cab (which cab sim only works while line/phones is selected).
Try more eq'ing with 200hz low cut and 4 kHz high cut.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

KuRi

Yes, the line/phones output is selected, and amp/cab modelling as well. I have been playing with the EZ settings and some EQ's and I am getting much better tones. I am still testing and I need more fine tuning, but the sound is getting more and more "recordable" XD

Thanks for all the tips!