Who else models guitars and pickups (not just amps)?

Started by sine_3000, April 06, 2015, 08:30:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sine_3000

Quote from: Elantric on April 07, 2015, 02:37:07 PM
Read the Owners Manuals - Gibson L4 COSM Guitar model has been around in the Roland VG processors for years.

Yes, I meant any of the *non-Roland* offerings mentioned above, didn't have any jazz boxes.  I do appreciate that Roland has them!  They sound really good, I have a nice one to compare it with.

As to the Antares doing the fretless guitar, that's probably the only thing I'd like to have in the GR-55 that isn't there.  I suspect any "superior processor" is hard at work for that model.  I've always dreamed about a fretless guitar!  But I won't trade the GR-55 just to get a single modeled unit (the GP-10 has a fretless, too).

germanicus

Quote from: sine_3000 on April 07, 2015, 03:01:39 PM
Yes, I meant any of the *non-Roland* offerings mentioned above, didn't have any jazz boxes.  I do appreciate that Roland has them!  They sound really good, I have a nice one to compare it with.

As to the Antares doing the fretless guitar, that's probably the only thing I'd like to have in the GR-55 that isn't there.  I suspect any "superior processor" is hard at work for that model.  I've always dreamed about a fretless guitar!  But I won't trade the GR-55 just to get a single modeled unit (the GP-10 has a fretless, too).

The Variax definitely has jazz boxes. It has a bank of Semi and a bank of full hollow body guitars. In addition with workbench you can create completely new combinations of Jazz guitar bodies/pickups and modify their positions. The ones I have stored in my JTV's are custom made ones from workbench.
My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4

sine_3000

Quote from: germanicus on April 08, 2015, 09:48:34 AM
The Variax definitely has jazz boxes.

Hm, the website must not emphasize them then, because I didn't see any at all.  It is a pretty clumsy interface on that website to be sure, I could barely get any detailed info at all, just lots of bloated popup text boxes and lots of similar pictures all over the place. 

Good to know that big box jazz axes are being modeled elsewhere.  So Variax doesn't just sell a standalone pickup then?  You have to buy a whole guitar just to get access to the modeling software?

Elantric

Quote Hm, the website must not emphasize [ jazz boxes.] then, because I didn't see any at all.

QuoteSo Variax doesn't just sell a standalone pickup then?  You have to buy a whole guitar just to get access to the modeling software?

Correct - but for brief time there was a RackVax ( I assisted in the design) 
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3928.0

But these are no longer available

Smash

Some people still hack the hardware from the cheapest 300 models into other axes - wasn't someone still doing the RACKVAX in kit form?

Elantric

FWIW  -there are guitar PU modeling options in the Boss GT-1 and Boss Katana

search on "GUITAR SIMULATOR" in the GT-1 Parameter Guide
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/GT-1_parameter_e01.pdf

Katana BTS Guide includes Parameter Guide and search on "GUITAR SIMULATOR"
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/GT-1_parameter_e01.pdf

sixeight

QuoteFWIW  -there are guitar PU modeling options in the Boss GT-1 and Boss Katana

I have bern curious about this, as I don't have a Katana or a GT1. Does it sound good or is it just a gimmick?

alexmcginness

Quote from: rolandvg99 on April 07, 2015, 09:09:11 AM
The GR-55 has the same parameters, but the GP10 has a faster CPU leading to lower latency and a more direct feel to the simulated instruments. The GP-10 also offers re-instrumentation through USB. I have tried everything Roland/Boss has thrown at the market and personally I'll say the GP-10 is their best effort, soundwise, to date. It still barely scratches the surface of the VG-99 for creative flow and possibilities.

I use the VG-99 to model guitars and pickups. I modeled my Strat into the VG-99 using Har-Bal. Theres a lot of tone shaping possibilities in the VG-99.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

admin

Quote from: sixeight on June 14, 2017, 11:00:00 PM
I have bern curious about this, as I don't have a Katana or a GT1. Does it sound good or is it just a gimmick?

I find the Guitar Sim a powerful new EQ tool that is very effective