GR-55-Some guidances on John Petrucci's sound

Started by vleydan, May 11, 2014, 08:41:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vleydan

Hello everybody!
Thank you for accepting me in this beautiful and vibrant community.
Though I had a guitar for a long long time... I've been able to get a grip on music itself only in the last months.
I've been convinced, by Jim Williams's patches and technical arguments, into buying a GR-55 and so far I'm still amazed of what it's possible to do with this great instrument.
The bad news is that my amp is really really poor and after downloading a great patch with a great demo (examples... all Jim Williams's patches) the result is not really what I expect to hear.
From what I read it's probably an equalization issue that I should solve by changing the sliders... in some way... but how??? can you give me some suggestions?
And what if I choose to buy another amp? Since I've just bought the GR I don't have a big budget, and I've already sold my liver, I was thinking about a cheap but nice solution like the de salvo tube50
link, I've heard it's a good amp...and for sure a lot better than mine, an old KC300, no, not the Roland one, I assure...you've never heard anything about this thing here,  the brand it's cibes, cibes kc300.
One of the greatest waste of transistors in the history of music.
Now... I'd like to have some indication on "what and where" I have to study to understand how a particular sound it's created. I mean... I'm in love with the kind of sound that Mr. Petrucci is able to produce live and in his work... for example, what about the sound here? (at 1:35)

or in song like Wither, that kind of sound so clean but deep. Like a chocolate cake, John would say.
Is there some patches already? I've already tryed the "mesa" patches, but at the moment I'm really far from the target!
In the while... here some pictures of the sliders of this crappy amp of mine.

bye! and thank you again :)

Jim Williams

I'm so glad you like the patches.... I create them while going through my JC-120 amp. I have my GR-55 set for JC-120 return and my demos were all recorded with the GR-55 USB audio connection to my PC.

When making a tone I never use an amp model just because that's what the artist uses. I use my ear to pick out the sound I am going for Roland's "BOSS" amps are often a nice fit and they have a lot of range in the mids for tailoring your tone. As of late I like the tone of the "MS Scoop" model.As for the sound you desire you can get it from a few different models. John uses Messa Boogie amps I forget what model but they are close to a Mark V but the real secret will be in the delay and later on I hear some chorus. When I play live I use a Rocktron midi mate witch gives me massive control over my Patches. here is how it looks.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

vleydan

Thank you, both of you :) I really love what all this is about (Music!) and I understand that there is a lot to dig and find out. But I'll never get bored.

Thank you again :)

Jim Williams

Here is a Starting point.
CTL=Chorus witch
GK Volume=Delay level
and EXP is volume and wha
Guitar is normal pickups

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.