Recording GR55 as midi controller into RC300?

Started by MrJim65, January 08, 2013, 01:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MrJim65

Hi,
I have my GR55 set up via usb into my macbook and use it as a midi controller for DAWS like Reason and Ableton.  I also have my RC300 connected to the GR55 and macbook via usb in audio mode.  Theres seems to be precious little about this mode (loads about the storage mode) in the manual.
Ive tried recording the string sounds from the reason sampler into the rc300 but to no avail.  Is it possible to do this via usb or do I need to connect them by midi and if so how?
Thanks, Jim

Threeleggedyoyo

Hi Mr. Jim.

If you want to record sounds on the RC-300 you'll need to use one of the input jacks - INS, Mic, or AUX. The Midi is only for controlling the RC-300's looping functions -- it cannot generate sound from a Midi controller like a synth.

The USB is only used to download sounds from the RC-300 to a computer, or to record sounds onto the computer through it (audio mode, I think). You can't get sound into the RC-300 that way.

You CAN upload loops onto it that way, but not in a live situation. You have to save the loops .WAV files, then upload them, and then there they are on the 300.

Hopefully that makes sense.

MrJim65

Thanks for the response and it makes sense.
I can record directly from my gr55 to the rc3oo no problems its just that the sounds from (particularly) Reason's samples are so much more authentic than the ones in the GR55.
Its  a lot more painstaking (at the cost of those eureka! moments) having to organise loops and export them as WAV's than just recording them on the fly.  I forgot to mention that between my mac, GR55 and RC300 I use a Tascam US 1800 audio interface.
Could it be possible to come out from the mac to 1800 to rc 300 and record soft synths this way maybe?

Threeleggedyoyo

Quote from: MrJim65 on January 09, 2013, 01:56:19 AM
Thanks for the response and it makes sense.
I can record directly from my gr55 to the rc3oo no problems its just that the sounds from (particularly) Reason's samples are so much more authentic than the ones in the GR55.
Its  a lot more painstaking (at the cost of those eureka! moments) having to organise loops and export them as WAV's than just recording them on the fly.  I forgot to mention that between my mac, GR55 and RC300 I use a Tascam US 1800 audio interface.
Could it be possible to come out from the mac to 1800 to rc 300 and record soft synths this way maybe?

Sure, yeah. The RC-300 can record anything that plugs into any of the input jacks. If plugging it into a speaker system can make noise, plugging it into the RC-300 can get it recorded.