GR-55 - Functional ground terminal Help!!

Started by deka, May 01, 2012, 03:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deka

Can someone please help with my roland gr-55.I have a grounding problem with it.The solution is the "Functional ground terminal" (it is writen in the manual). Here is what it says in the manual:
11. Functional ground terminal
Depending on the circumstances of a particular
setup, you may experience a discomforting
sensation, or perceive that the surface feels gritty
to the touch when you touch this device or the
metal portions of other objects connected to
it, such as guitars. This is due to an infinitesimal
electrical charge, which is absolutely harmless.
However, if you are concerned about this,
connect the ground terminal (see figure) with an external ground.
When the unit is grounded, a slight hum may occur, depending on
the particulars of your installation. If you are unsure of the connection
method, contact the nearest Roland Service Center, or an authorized
Roland distributor, as listed on the "Information" page.
Unsuitable places for connection
• Water pipes (may result in shock or electrocution)
• Gas pipes (may result in fire or explosion)
• Telephone-line ground or lightning rod (may be dangerous in the
event of lightning)

The problem is I don't know how to conect the ground terminal with an external ground.Can someone help me with this one?If you can show me some pics or videos it would be very helpfull.

gumtown

You may have noticed the screw next the the GR-55 power socket, which is to connect a wire to 'ground'.

One suggestion i have, which must only be done by a qualified technician, and only if your power outlets have a ground terminal, is to replace the 2 pin GR-55 AC adapter with a 3 pin type (that has a ground terminal), and run a ground wire from that to a plug attached to the GR-55, with a ground lift switch in-line. The ground wire can be taped to the AC adapter wire.

Another suggestion is to plug any of the GR-55 1/4" jack outlets into an amplifier which is grounded, the guitar cable sheild will ground the GR-55, and the amp doesn't need to be switched on, just plugged into the wall power socket (the amp must have a 3 pin grounded type power plug).

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

deka

Thanks for the reply man but here in my county everything is with 2 pins and not 3.Any other suggestion?

musicman65

I don't know what country you are in but "ground" exist in ALL electrical systems at some point...if not at your receptacles, then at least it should be at your distribution panel or service entrance. You may need to consult a local person with electrical knowledge.

Let us know your country and maybe we can find some Google links to a solution for you.

bd

tekrytor

Usually, two pin electrical outlets have a third edge connection that is ground. If you look at the outlet, you can probably see a metal ground contact at the edge. Most of continental Europe uses this type connector.
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

deka

Here it is and how it looks.Sorry it looks dirty I didn't clean it for a while becauese it behind a closet :-[

Elantric

The GR-55 Ground is not mandatory. It's there only if it helps tame noise.

Your AC Mains Earth / Ground connection is highlighted in Yellow

This is the type of plug that can make an earth ground connection in your home

deka

Elantric thanks for your reply but here is how my roland adapter looks like
Is there any other option or should I change the adapter?

gumtown

Quote from: gumtown on May 01, 2012, 03:24:17 PM
You may have noticed the screw next the the GR-55 power socket, which is to connect a wire to 'ground'.

One suggestion i have, which must only be done by a qualified technician, and only if your power outlets have a ground terminal, is to replace the 2 pin GR-55 AC adapter with a 3 pin type (that has a ground terminal), and run a ground wire from that to a plug attached to the GR-55, with a ground lift switch in-line. The ground wire can be taped to the AC adapter wire.

Sorry to quote myself, it was quicker than retyping, the options are as quoted above, or to drive a 6' (2mtr) rod into the ground/earth/dirt and attach a grounding wire from that to the GR-55.
Some people recommend using metal water pipes, but I don't because they can not be guarenteed to be safely grounded if an electrical fault occurs else where.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Elantric

Your house already has a good Earth Ground connection available.

Its #2 in the pic below

Refer to this article to understand how to gain access to it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schuko

tekrytor

That's the standard continental European electrical outlet. As he pointed out, pin 2 in Elantric's markup is ground. You can run a separate lead just for ground.
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

deka

Thank you for your reply again.I usderstand now that where my earth ground conection is but my Schuko plug does not conect to the cround conection just to the 2 pins for electricity.So the option is to conect a electric wire ftom the "Functional ground terminal" to those little earth ground things?

Elantric

Leave your factory Roland GR-55 AC Mains power supply  stock.

QuoteSo the option is to concect a electric wire from the "Functional ground terminal" to those little earth ground things?

Correct!

You should be able to go to a local hardware store that sells a replacement large ROUND Schuko Male plug,

Just like this one

http://www.made-in-china.com/showroom/davidnan87/product-detailsojnzxWJvfUH/China-European-Schuko-Plug-Rubber-HQ-R-012-.html

and connect your own wire between the Earth connection on the Schuko Male plug, and the GR-55's Earth chassis screw (details in the GR-55 Owners Manual)

This Earth Ground connection cable will be a separate cable.