Many Thx in advance,
-m
"No such thing as spare time.
No such thing as free time.
No such thing as down time.
All you got is life time. Go!"
- Henry Rollins

gumtown

His sound was based mainly on his 12" fingers and technicl ability to play exceptionally well,
apart from that he used a regular Fender Jazz bass.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Elantric

Quoteapart from that he used a regular Fender Jazz bass.

Make that a regular "fretless" Fender Jazz bass  - which is essential for the Jaco sound

mapperboy

Yeah that's right about technique and his wonderful inventiveness but he did have a particular signal chain.
I read somewhere last year that he also experimented with and used pure metallic coned speakers in his cab in some of his later history.
So there's definitely a Jaco 'sound' especially the growling 'mwow that he generated.  I can sure hear it as very distinct from say Miller or Clark or Bootsy or (etc.) Victor sometimes comes close (not that he's trying to imitate I believe just pay tribute!)

Some examples of Jaco's rigs I've found:
A '62 Jazz Bass he bought with all the frets already removed, and a '60 Jazz bass with frets. He also owned a Steinberger that he got after seeing Sting play one with the Police. He used Rotosound strings, and played through two Acoustic 360s (although he always went direct in the studio). He had a no-name fuzz pedal that also had a built-in delay with infinite repeat. He also used an MXR Digital delay that he sent to one amp and left the other dry.

So that's a definite chain no?
- Henry Rollins

Sibbo01

Hi

Did you have any luck with a Jaco fretless patch for the GR55?

Thanks of you can help

bassman4d521

A large part of the Jaco sound was the rotosound rounds on an epoxied fingerboard - coupled with the bridge pickup.  The GR-55 doesn't really have a good amp model to use - on the VB-99 I use the Acoustic 360 model and boost around 800-1000 to bring out more of the fretless mwah. 

mapperboy

I know this will trash my bass 'purity' creds but I'm actually getting a pretty darn good bass resonance and mwah textured sounds using a Godin ACS Yylon 6 string with a bass patch I found in the vguitar collections a while back. I only applied some minor tweaks mainly to the levels of the modelling, and 2 PCM tones. I think in some ways it sounds better than my fretless Godin bass on Bass Mode of the GR-55.  For a long time I've been wanting to find a VB-99 to compare its bass patches and effects but so far have missed all the ones that have ever been offered on the web lists.
- Henry Rollins