VMETER - USB TOUCHSTRIP MIDI Controller

Started by Elantric, July 02, 2016, 07:51:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

http://www.vmeter.net

Please note: the VMeter is now out of production. We may do another run if there's enough interest, but for now there is no eta. Please let us know if you're interested and if we get enough people, we'll do a crowd sale supported run.

If you're an owner, don't worry, we're still offering full support.

Did you know? The VMeter is fully opensource, from software through hardware. Feel free to build your own, modify, or use the design as part of another instrument!
VMeter™ is a USB MIDI touch strip that provides nuanced musical control and visualization for DJs and other laptop musicians.

Blue LEDs react to volume, touch or MIDI. The versatile touch strip is actually several controllers in one, giving you new ways to "play" effects and tracks.

Multiple controllers in one provide anything from simple track fader to sophisticated virtual instrument controller.
   Outputs include position, pressure, touch/release, note on/off, pitch wheel... Details
   Control Windows XP, 7 and OS X system volume. See instructions for download. NEW: VU Meter display of sound levels and cpu usage meter (Vista+ only).
   Super responsive touch strip for fast reactions, including ability to snap to new levels.
   Blue LEDs can act like a VU meter, touch tracker, or even MIDI envelopes for animation. Dimmable.
   Unlimited number of VMeters can be connected through powered USB hubs.
   Fully configurable. (MIDI channel, ctrl #, Note #, etc.)
   Native USB MIDI controller--control any music software without drivers, Win/Mac/Linux.

Firmware based on  LUFA.
main-page-33.gif   
Programmers: use as a generic I/O device. Python tutorial and demos.

Compatibility:

The VMeter is a class compliant USB MIDI Device, which means that just about all software can receive data from it. Some software does not send data back out, so mouse changes to faders and automation don't playback on all software.

Here is a brief summary of testing, see the tutorials & compatibility page for more details.

Serato: Any software knob, more through xml midi maps. (requires approved Serato controller to unlock MIDI control)
Tracktor: Everything! Metering out, input control, multiple vmeters. tutorial
Ableton Live: Control any knob, VU Meter output with special plugins.
LMMS: Control any knob, fader or instrument. VMeter --> LMMS only.
Torq DJ Software: Full bi-directional support + VU outputs.
Reason: Control any knob or fader, VMeter --> Reason only.
Cockos Reaper: Anything can be controlled via Actions, visual feedback only for MIDI track recordings.
Sonar X1: Control any knob or fader, VMeter --> Sonar only. New: can be used as a visual metronome.
Logic Pro: Control any knob or fader, VMeter --> Logic only. 
Cubase: Full bi-directional support, limited VU Meter.
Presonus Studio One: Full bi-directional support. Automation and mouse-changes show up on VMeter(s).
Resolume (Video DJ Software): Control any knob or fader, VMeter --> Resolume only. Pitch wheel mode not supported.
ProTools: Very minimal support. The fader controller numbers are hard-coded to 33-40, and pans on those tracks are hard-coded to 17-24. Some plugins let you "learn" a mapping, but not all plugins. No output back to VMeter(s).
GarageBand: Extremely minimal support. Volume and Pan control over currently selected track only.
Standard Keyboards: Unless your manual specifically says "USB Host", it's very unlikely that you can plug in a VMeter directly. However, the Kenton MIDI USB Hostbridge is an option.
kenton-midi-usb-host-vmeter-connection-diagram-300.jpg
Volume control for PC / MAC: Hardware version A can be "downgraded" to our original firmware that let's the VMeter act as a volume control on a computer. Contact us if you'd like it.

multi-vmeter-usb-controller-thumb.jpg   multi-vmeter-usb-controller-dark-thumb.jpg

"I assigned it to one track in Logic, using the location on the strip to control the panning like a pot, and the touch sensitivity to control the spread of the signal.  It was pretty awesome!  It's part of my toolbox now."

-Bob Lukomski, composer

"I use mine with orchestral libraries and the ability to simultaneously adjust expression and other parameters (for example Vibrato depth with LA Scoring Strings) is fantastic... I know lots of film composers who get very frustrated with the limitations of the Mod wheel."

-Jon Wygens Film Composer, London

1 min demonstration of VU Meter and CrossFader in Torq DJ software

5min demonstration of pressure sensitivity, pitch wheel, config utility.

Thanks to the Ableton Colorado User Group for some early prototype feedback and suggestions!

Dimensions:
width: .94" +- .02 (24mm)
length: 6.65" +- .05 (169mm)
height without feet: .36" +- .02in (9.1mm), with feet: .47" +- .02in (11.9m)
touch length: about 4.13" (105mm)

At 7:27 - see demonstration of VMETER USB TOUCHSTRIP onboard guitar mounted USB  touch strip my Mark Wingfield
http://youtu.be/56W4uRodsqY?list=PLBmZmwq4RkUbnV0Kxgl4Q3iqe45Y9eRwx

Snow Black

You can now buy these from AliExpress and they appear to be fully compatible with the original (I have used the Max patch software to configure mine)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001033054380.html
Moog Guitar Paul Vo Collectors Edition, Fernandes with sustainer & GK3, Fender Strat with sustainer & GK3, Brian Moore i9-13, Variax transplant & Firehawk FX, Fretless guitar with ATG luthier kit, SY-1000, GP-10, SY-300, VG-99, FC-300, GR-55, VG-8ex, US-20, GX-2, Roland Street Cube EX, Tech 21 PE