GR 55 for live use with looping

Started by damstars, January 18, 2013, 12:11:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

damstars

Hi all , I wanted to show you how I use the GR 55 , on this track its mainly electric guitar sounds, I hope you 'll enjoy !!

papabuss

Nice demo!
Thx for posting, damstars! :)
And welcome to the forum.
FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

DF400

tekrytor

Excellent! Very nice work!
Were your loops on the GR-55 or do you use another looper with the 55? Was it hard to get the drummer to work to the looper?
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

damstars

Hi , Thx for the comment !!
I use Ableton live as a looper, have tried lots of pedals, and I ended up "building" my own with my configurationbecause I need a reel and solid sync for the third member with the controller, regular pedal looper don't do the job as well , we all have a click that's why we need headphones, it took some time for my drummer to get used to the looping and click groove because of the influence we have on what we play with others ,if he's out my loop is out, so I 'm a pain in the A** with him on the and myself of course.
Thanks again !!!!!

sloopdawg

gumtown

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

fuzzfactory

stelligan

Cool jam. Ingenious use of the gear. What is the purpose of the cloth mute near the nut?

Elantric

QuoteWhat is the purpose of the cloth mute near the nut?

Its performing a damping function of the non speaking string length between your fretted notes and the Nut. Which lowers harmonic vibrations and improves tracking. See Gundy Keller videos, Jennifer Batten videos Chapman Stick videos. All use a similar string damper.

Avantjer

Very nice!
What's providing the click?
Godin Multiac (Nylon)
Roland Ready Strat
GR-55
RC-300

aliensporebomb

Quote from: Elantric on February 18, 2013, 10:57:09 AM
Its performing a damping function of the non speaking string length between your fretted notes and the Nut. Which lowers harmonic vibrations and improves tracking. See Gundy Keller videos, Jennifer Batten videos Chapman Stick videos. All use a similar string damper.

Yep.  I also saw some Guthrie Govan and Christophe Godin videos with this in place.  Seems like people have used everything from hair scrunchies to velcro to other items to make that happen. 
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

danimanic

KezzTCP

Very impressive all round!  Good luck to you in all that you do!
Godin LGXT with Roland Gr-55
Zoom G9.2tt
Fender Strat 1983
Hamer Artist Korina
Hamer SAQT GK3 loaded
Ovation Electro Acoustic
Tanglewood Earth 2000 Acoustic
G&L S-500
Antoria Memphis 74
Gibson Les Paul Special (hah!)

Life is full of surprises ........ as I don't know what I'm doing most of the time

damstars

Hi everybody and thank for the comments !!!
I've published the full video now here's the link :

QuoteWhat is the purpose of the cloth mute near the nut?
I've used the cloth mutes for many years now, on the GR 55 on this track i mostly use model sounds, I use it when I play tapping techniques or thumb techniques where I can't mute the strings with my left and. If I play PCM sound I 'll have to use classic finger techniques to have a good tracking.. and mute the strings with my left hand while I play.

QuoteWhat's providing the click?
Ableton Live is providing the click.
My set up is :
At first the GR 55 with main out only pcm sounds and guitar out only bass mics. wich goes in a mixing table added with a microphone (for the other songs), all that goes in the GT 6b and then to the slicer SL 10.
My sound chain is done (except that I m loosing stereo capability of the GR 55 because the input of the GT6 is mono, I 'm working on changing the chain to have the stereo out of the GR55 in stereo)
That sound chain goes in Ableton live on a mac dedicated for the purpose. the click comes from there wich is synced with the ableton live used by the 3rd member of the band. It was the only way we were able to have proper syncing. I've used loopstations for many years and never had proper syncing. but it means that you have a computer that can have very low latency.

I hope I was clear in my explanation.
You can listen to my album on soundcloud
https://soundcloud.com/snipethedj

If you liked it Don't hesitate sharing the sound, I 'm just starting with the band and I need a hand with promoting my music . Thanks again
Damien

Machh_2

reba

Very well done, Damian! I love it. Your trio is great and appears to have a lot of fun. Keep on "sniping" ;-)
Godin Mulitac ACS Nylon, Washburn Monterey Studio, Hagström Classical Guitar, Roland GR-55, Kurzweil K1000, Cubase 7, Halion Symphonic, Halion Sonic, Native Instruments Komplete 9