Blackstar ID:Core Stereo 40 (2x20W) Stereo Combo

Started by Elantric, March 06, 2014, 09:12:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

supernicd

Well rats.  Thanks for confirming.  Outside of that issue, this seems like the perfect portable, inexpensive, stereo amp for relatively low volume use.
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

Elantric

I did update the firmware in my Blackstar ID-Core 40 , and while its still incompatible with iPhone IOS 8  - it seems to "stay alive" longer without the dreaded thermal shut down after 5 minutes of playing anything into its 3.5mm Line Input.

But used with a normal Elecric Guitar feeding its 1/4" input, there is much joy in its tones and stereo spread in a small package. I swear its internal speakers remind me of my AuraTone 5C sound Cubes  - I could mix on this amp.

I'll give it a try with my GP-10 today and report back.

joaobraga

Hi Elantric, did you get the chance to check if with the new firmware update it is reliable now to support the gp10/kemper in the aux input at moderate levels?
Thanks

Elantric

The  Blackstar ID:Core Stereo 40 when used with just an electric guitar and straight cord sounds wonderful - many usable  / big sounds!

But the "MP3" / AUX" stereo 3.5mm input simply does not work for use with VG/GR/GP10/KEMPER

The  Blackstar ID:Core Stereo 40's still  shuts down under 3 minutes  of use at moderate volume when you Only feed external audio into the MP3/ Aux  input

I'm using latest firmware
I had high hopes too.

joaobraga

I was expecting you could say something different
but in that case it is useless for me.

Thanks

Elantric

I got a chance to meet up with Blackstar during Winter NAMM

They agreed the ID Core 40 has a thermal shutdown "feature" that can not be bypassed

I heard the new Blackstar ID Core  Beam"
http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/21990-blackstar-announces-the-idcore-beam

This should function as a small bedroom monitor for GR/VG/GP gear but with only 10 watts per side and dual 3 speakers its not going to be very loud 

http://www.blackstaramps.com/products/id-core-beam/

guitarno

>:( That's unfortunate about the "thermal shutdown" problem. I thought this product looked like something I could have put to use for practices, without dragging along the rest of my set-up. I was thinking somehow it was 2 x 20 watts, not 2 x 10 watts though. I had a brand new IK Multimedia "iLoud" that had this very same "thermal shutdown" problem. Couldn't have it running for more than a few minutes without it shutting down, very frustrating. Sent it back and never replaced it, so I was hoping this might fit that need.
Suhr Classic Pro SSS, PRS Hollowbody II Piezo, Breedlove Oregon Concerto E, Fractal FM3, Mesa Boogie LoneStar Special

JolietJake

Hello Elantric

I wonder if there was a hardware issue with you particular unit.
I've had the ID Core 40 for a few weeks now and have just found your post, so naturally like everyone else would do I thought "right, lets try and break it". For the past hour I've been playing some pretty full range audio (ZZ top) at full volume from my iphone. Admittedly we're not talking PA volume but it is at least as loud as my home Hi-Fi when cranked fairly loud (neighbour knocking on the wall loud), and I didn't seem to suffer from any thermal shutdown.

Lets be honest that is all the ID Core really is, a 2 speaker boom box with some modelling sounds tagged on the front which is designed for home practice/recording volume levels.

Admittedly the crunch/OD modelling sounds are pretty spectacular and seem to sound louder and bigger than they actually are. Maybe this goes some way to creating the impression that the MP3 playback "could be louder".

With the GR-55 plugged into the audio in, the sound quality was OK but I didn't really try blasting it for a long period of time. However at "practice" volume levels it appeared to function for another hour or so without any shutdown. Although personally this is not the use for which I intended when I bought the amp anyway.

I think if I had to describe the sound from the ID Core series I would say that it doesn't sound like playing a Marshall stack in your bedroom, but it does sound like listening to a good recording of a Marshall stack on a hi-fi in you bedroom.

If that is all you want it for then I would go for it.

Elantric

I spoke to the UK designer at NAMM and he confirmed there is a built in power amp shutdown.

This engages on my ID Core 40 within 5 minutes of attempting to play loud using the 3.5mm TRS Input.

Meanwhile the 1/4" guitar input with a straight guitar plays very long and loud

JolietJake

Hello Elantric

I was just wondering if perhaps your unit was just more sensitive than it should be as I couldn't get mine to shut down at all. I could possibly have found something with a higher audio output level than my iphone or I could really have turned the GR-55 output up full, but under normal use I wouldn't do either of these things.

In fact the only thing I don't really like about the ID-Core is that there is no method to access the EQ (other than ISF) from the control panel and instead you have to connect to a PC just to adjust the treble or Bass. I would have liked if they had done something similar to the effects section and done something like this:

Elantric

Just to come back to this thread

My Blackstar ID:Core Stereo 40 still auto shuts down and makes no sound within a few mintes of feeding output of Kemper / VG-99 / GR-55 / GP-10 into the Aux/MP3 3.5mm TRS  Input jack on the Blackstar ID:Core Stereo 40.

At 2015 Winter NAMM, I discussed this "feature" with the Blackstar design engineer, and he admitted this was a built in safe guard on this specific model "Blackstar ID:Core Stereo 40" 

i have not tried the lower wattage models - its possible the "Blackstar ID:Core Stereo 20" does not shut down. 

by contrast - for a similar size all in one stereo amp  - consider the

Roland Cube Street EX
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11600.0

Roland Cube Street EX  does work very well with Kemper / VG-99 / GR-55 / GP-10 in Stereo and battery powered and can keep up with a Rock Drummer.

sonnyv

Hey, Elantric I've owned the ID core 40 for a few months and don't play it often but I do love the wide stereo effects -- similar to the Yamaha THR line but even more of a 3D effect.

Last night I was playing at pretty much full volume and it shut down. For the record, I was using my guitar into the regular guitar input! I should note that my guitar cable was simultaneously being fed parallel into a Blackstar HTM5 tube amp guitar input and both were silenced when it happened (the tube amp came back on when I unplugged the Core40). I doubt that had anything to do with it. I hope not because I plan on playing into both that way since it doesn't seem to impact the tone otherwise.

Searching the web, i'm not finding anyone else writing about the thermal shutdown issues.

Are you still using the Core40? -- how did the truck speaker project your were building work out?

JolietJake

I'm not sure it it's thermal protection or some form of "overload" protection.
I was playing some youtube video's into my ID-Core 40 via ipod. I could hear the usual click as I navigated to a backing track. However when the music began playing it was MUCH louder than expected and the amp shut down within about half a second. A power cycle reset the amplifier and it was working fine again. However I dont believe there is any way in such a short space of time that any thermal affect could account for the shut-down. I suspect that when playing music at loud volume some transient peaks are actually the cause of tripping the protection within the amplifier.

Elantric

Bottom line, the IDCore 40 is NOT Suitable as an amplifier for VG-99/ GR-55/ GP-10 or Kemper. It shuts down within seconds of signal being fed into its Aux Input.

QuoteAre you still using the Core40? -- how did the truck speaker project your were building work out

I ended up buying a Roland Cube Street EX and that fulfills my small portable amp needs

JolietJake

Quote from: Elantric on May 26, 2015, 07:52:04 AM
Bottom line, the IDCore 40 is NOT Suitable as an amplifier for VG-99/ GR-55/ GP-10 or Kemper.

Agreed. Then again it was never designed for that task.

sonnyv

yes, overload protection makes sense -- from either the aux input or guitar input.  I wonder why more users haven't posted complaints about it online.

JolietJake

Quote from: sonnyv on May 26, 2015, 03:14:20 PM
yes, overload protection makes sense -- from either the aux input or guitar input.  I wonder why more users haven't posted complaints about it online.

I've used it for a while now and only had the protection cut in once (and it was probably for the best it did). If you use the amplifier for the use it was designed for (bedroom level practice), it functions perfectly well. If your requirements are to drive it at full power 100% of the time then I would probably suggest you have the wrong product and require something with a bit more power.

Dr Tadpole

Ciao,

anyone ever tried the head version? I was considering to buy a used one, to be connected to two marshall 4x10 cabs, and to plug in my GP-10 in the aux in, but after Elantric comments on thermal shutdown, i am pretty concerned about the real possibility to use it this way...

cheers

Giorgio

Elantric

I have not - but I understand the circuit is identical in the head version.
Bottom line, the IDCore 40 is NOT Suitable as an amplifier for VG-99/ GR-55/ GP-10 or Kemper using the Aux/MP3 Stereo input . It shuts down under a minute of signal being fed into its Aux Input.

Dr Tadpole

Elantric

More info regarding the "auto shutdown" of the Blackstar ID:Core Stereo 40 (2x20W) Stereo Combo when using only the MP3/Aux Input and not the 1/4" Guitar input

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/vox-av-users-something-to-be-aware-of.1731112/

QuoteHi guys owned the AV60 for a few weeks now and have found loads of great tones using the first 6 Amp Models.

So....... recently I tried my Boss ME 80 plugged directly into the fx return - just to test the quality of the COSM amps on the ME80 (not too bad actually).......anyway, found a real nice HiGain Marshall patch and was happily wailing away ( badly but happily) when the AV60 switched off .......PANIC!!!!

Then I remembered that the amp has an auto shutoff if left idle for more than an hour....... this function seems to be tied to the input ie if the input is not "hit" with sufficient signal for more than hour the amp switches off.
Obviously, the fx return does not have such a "safeguard" and so, although I was using the amp, it did not register this use and so the auto shut off kicked in.

Not sure how many users would use the amp for gigging as a "power amp" for their modellers ( not many I would suspect) but, for those considering doing so, be aware that your amp will shut off after an hour or so.

Happy Wailing
Porcs.

The Vox AV60 info above is related to the Blackstar ID:Core because behind the scenes, the same Korg R&D design team in Japan designs both the Vox AV series and the Blackstar ID :Core amps and both employ similar "auto-power down circuits" to comply with new Green Energy power regulations that are now in effect in many EU countries   

IEC 62368-1

http://www.korgusa.com/blackstar/dealers/
I contend that part of the ID:Core Amp's "auto shut down" problem when I feed my Kemper Line output into the the Aux Line input on the ID:Core and the ID:Core Amp completely shuts down within a few minutes is more related to the "smart" signal sensing circuitry of its DSP initiating a power down sequence anytime its not seeing any signal from the Guitar Input. 

myksara

Interesting thread! I picked up the core id 40 recently and like the sounds..very usable..
Also purchased the footswitch fs11 for live use.
However this amp is not useful at all if you want to change patches and maintain balanced volume levels because separate volume levels are not stored with patches.
This means if you move from clean patch to an overdrive patch, you are going to blast ears if the volume pot is full!!...this is because the volume pot acts as a master?
Pathetic amp missing any usability live..
Ridiculous absolutely!!!@
Guitars: Ibanez Prestige S5470, Ibanez Jem 7v, Ibanez JS2410, PRS SE Custom24, Cort  Ltd G16, Ibanez RG370Ahmz,
MultiFX: Roland GR55, Zoom 1on, BOSS GT00
Loopers: Digitech trio+, Line 6 JM4
MIDI:, MAudio Axiom24 keyboard, Alesis IO Dock with iPad air 2

Elantric

Quote from: myksara on December 06, 2017, 11:17:16 AM
Interesting thread! I picked up the core id 40 recently and like the sounds..very usable..
Also purchased the footswitch fs11 for live use.
However this amp is not useful at all if you want to change patches and maintain balanced volume levels because separate volume levels are not stored with patches.
This means if you move from clean patch to an overdrive patch, you are going to blast ears if the volume pot is full!!...this is because the volume pot acts as a master?
Pathetic amp missing any usability live..
Ridiculous absolutely!!!@

If you have any other MFX unit ( GR-55 , GP-10, Kemper, etc)  - , feed it's headphone out into the Blackstar ID:Core  MP3/Aux Input, with nothing connected to the 1/4" Guitar Input Jack.

Start playing your guitar

My  Blackstar ID:Core Stereo 40 will "auto-power off" after 5 minutes.

I talked to the Blackstar reps at NAMM, they tell me this is by design , to comply with a IEC-62368.1 UL/CE global standards ( to save energy)   

Makes the Blackstar ID:Core Stereo 40  useless for me as a stereo amplification systems for my Kemper / GP-10, etc

myksara

Not tried yet. But will try with my gr55 or zoom g3x...however i have a cube street ex for that..or even better my behringer b210d powered speaker..
I loved the tone demos of the core id and bought it...the good ends there! Zero.usability if you were to do a song that yku nned to toggle between super clean to high gain!!
Guitars: Ibanez Prestige S5470, Ibanez Jem 7v, Ibanez JS2410, PRS SE Custom24, Cort  Ltd G16, Ibanez RG370Ahmz,
MultiFX: Roland GR55, Zoom 1on, BOSS GT00
Loopers: Digitech trio+, Line 6 JM4
MIDI:, MAudio Axiom24 keyboard, Alesis IO Dock with iPad air 2

pacemaker1000

Did this cutoff get fixed with later versions?
New version 4 just revealed.
Is the problem in the amp or separate power supply?

Ta