Axe-FX II vs Kemper: Fractal's Comments

Started by onemoreguitar, April 30, 2012, 12:51:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paults

Quote from: Bill Ruppert on May 01, 2012, 07:18:45 PM
???????

Its from a 1995 movie (I haven't seen it, either..)

Billy Madison: Shampoo is better. I go on first and clean the hair. Conditioner is better. I leave the hair silky and smooth. Oh, really, fool? Really.
[Notices gold swan on edge of tub]
Billy Madison: Stop looking at me, swan.

Bill Ruppert

Quote from: paults on May 01, 2012, 09:20:24 PM
Its from a 1995 movie (I haven't seen it, either..)

Billy Madison: Shampoo is better. I go on first and clean the hair. Conditioner is better. I leave the hair silky and smooth. Oh, really, fool? Really.
[Notices gold swan on edge of tub]
Billy Madison: Stop looking at me, swan.

Thanks Paul....
????

onemoreguitar

Veronica Vaughn.....So hot...Want to touch the heiney. 

------------------

CF:That Veronica Vaughn is one piece of aaasse. I know from experience dude, if you know what I mean...

AS: No you don't.

CF: Well, not me personally, but a guy I know... him and her got.. it.. on.. WOOOEEEE

AS:No they didn't.

CF: No, no, no they didn't. But you could imagine what it'd be like if they did right? Huh? HUHHH?

awkward pause...

CF:Everybody on.. GOOD!! GREAT!!! GRAND!!! WONDERFUL!!!....  NO YELLING ON THE BUS!!!!!

----------------------------
Eric: Where the hell is he?.. I'm starving.

Carl: I ate some Triscut crackers in the car. You should have had some.

Eric: Well.. maybe if you'd told me there were delicious Triscut crackers I could have enjoyed them with you.

Carl: I'm sorry.

Eric: Well.. sorry doesn't put the Triscut crackers in my stomach, now does it Carl?
----------------------

I'll stop there.  I reckon I can quote that movie line for line from start to finish. 

For the record..I left a couple laughs out...  :-)

musicman65

Grandma always told me.... "An idle mind is the Devil's playground" LOL!

I could never find the time to memorize a whole movie....I can't even remember lyrics...(but can remember musical passages with no effort...???)

bd

gumtown

You've lost me on this one  ????

I guess you had to bee there..
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

A2theT

HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

aliensporebomb

Elantric: if you want to bring this post to another thread go right ahead but .....

So I hear Les Paul's estate is up for sale (at least the stuff the family doesn't want):
http://www.juliensauctions.com/images/auctions/2012/les-paul/flipbook/icatalog.html

How is this relevant to vguitarforums?  He has three Casio synth guitars and two Les Pauls with hex pickups and 24-pin Roland connectivity and GR style controls as well as two Les Paul HDX digital guitars in the collection (warning, 400 page PDF - you could be looking and dreaming for quite a while).  Among other stuff.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Kevin M

Maybe time to end this thread as it's gotten WAY off the original topic lately.

fuzzfactory

all i can say thanks to this thread i now must have a kemper and i don't even play "normal" guitar anymore but damn the gearslut in me says i need 2 grand soon
thanks guys...at least the wife agrees after she watched the vids  :)

tekrytor

SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

randyrocker

all I can say guys is I have the Axe-FX II the Avid Eleven Rack and a LIne 6 HD 500 and every single computer plugin for guitar..

They all have merits some tones on the HD500 are better than the Axe but see the prob with that forum is simple they are arrogant SOB's they think that the Axe-FX series is the end all
little do they realize its just the beginning... when I go out to play locally only thing I bring with me is my amp the HD500 and the GR55.. and of course whatever guitar I choose I have several GK3's now
so I would never bring the Axe FXII out live too much work and the sound quality is not worth it and to be frank for what I play mostly now adays Nashville stuff it dont matter what I use...

Elantric

Rule #1 at Live gigs - people hear with their eyes.

Give them a show, and nobody will care that your DSP tube amp emulator failed to nail the same dynamics as a real tube amp.

When I play live, my gear choice criteria is mostly based upon:

1) Will it fit in the Car?

2) Does it offer swift setup and tear down?

3) Does it allow me to flow with the Music, and provide a good show  - and not force me to think about math, which preset bank am I on, muted gaps during each patch change - those are deal breakers for me.

4) What you are capable of expressing on the guitar using only your fingers will always trump whatever "new sound" the latest toy adds to the show.

A2theT

@Elantric - Well said.  I concur 100% regarding live. 

I was just at a show a few weeks ago where the guitar player for an 80's metal cover band was fumbling through his axe fx during sound check and he leaned over to me on the stage and said, "omg I wish I had of just brought my trusty GSP-1101".  Not slamming the axe-fx but familiarity + simplicity = success.

One time I went to a jam with some old friends.  I had this crazy setup, GNX3000 + POD X3Live + A/B/Y and multiple guitars and I was switching between the gear for different presets I used for different songs....it was quite a gong show.  Patch levels were not equal, it was a pain.  Theres something to be said for a decent guitar and combo amp.  i.e. Les Paul and an Evil Robot....... 

my two cents
HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

DF400

I'm chiming in late in this post, but thought I would throw in my 2 cents:

I gig at least once a week and own a variety of amps. However, as of late I have been hauling around too much gear. During the last gigs I used my Splawn Quickrod, with the AxeFx Ultra for effects. I am now rethinking my set up. The AxeFx, along with a midi foot controller is more than enough gear to cover just about any cover song. Although personally, for playing my own material, I prefer the Splawn - which sounds amazing. But the fact is that we play covers - and for covers, close is good enough.

Although I have not tried the Kemper, I'm sure it does a great job. That said, few - if anyone in the audience are going to give a rat's ass what you are playing through. I think it's all about projecting and performing. Equally important is setting up volume levels to be consistent and fall nicely in the mix.

I'm happy with the AxeFx, and I'm sure I would also be happy with the Kemper. My priorities have changed though - a minimalist approach is definitely the way to go!

mbenigni

I recently picked up a Kemper.  I've never come within a square mile of an AxeFX, but I'm always impressed with what I read about them, and that hasn't changed one bit.

I think people miss the point by getting too caught up in the whole p***ing contest as to which product's tones are better/ more authentic.  The fact is their tone engines represent two totally different paradigms, and inevitably there will be strengths and weaknesses in each.  From what I understand they both sound amazing (I can vouch for the KPA myself) and there is always going to be the gray area where opinions vary.

More important, IMO, is the fact that they bring two completely different feature sets to the table: The AxeFX is more adaptable, more programmable, offers deeper routing and effects options, etc.  The Kemper is a bit more specialized/ purpose-built.  It aims to profile a specific amp's behavior without getting the user too bogged down in the component algorithms that determine that behavior.  It's not as programmable, but conversely it exposes what is programmable by way of a sensible UI with lots of conventional, mechanical controls.  As I see it, even if the KPA and Axe sounded identical (and they can probably be made to sound damn close), the experience of using them is completely different, and so each will best suit different needs and applications.  Buy what you need.

Personally, I'm finding it refreshing that the most technically advanced modeling amp I've ever owned has me tweaking less than I ever have.  This is counter-intuitive at first glance, but when a digital amp delivers on the promise of behaving like a tube amp, you can stop thinking like an engineer and finally start thinking like "normal" guitarists have been thinking for the last 50 years or so.  And oh what I've been missing...  :)  (But now's their turn to catch on to the fact that I just bought 1000 amps and they bought 1 LOL.)

Kevin M

Quote from: mbenigni on June 07, 2012, 07:34:23 AM
I recently picked up a Kemper.  I've never come within a square mile of an AxeFX, but I'm always impressed with what I read about them, and that hasn't changed one bit.

I think people miss the point by getting too caught up in the whole p***ing contest as to which product's tones are better/ more authentic.  The fact is their tone engines represent two totally different different paradigms, and inevitably there will be strengths and weaknesses in each.  From what I understand they both sound amazing (I can vouch for the KPA myself) and there is always going to be the gray area where opinions vary.

More important, IMO, is the fact that they bring two completely different feature sets to the table: The AxeFX is more adaptable, more programmable, offers deeper routing and effects options, etc.  The Kemper is a bit more specialized/ purpose-built.  It aims to profile a specific amp's behavior without getting the user too bogged down in the component algorithms that determine that behavior.  It's not as programmable, but conversely it exposes what is programmable by way of a sensible UI with lots of conventional, mechanical controls.  As I see it, even if the KPA and Axe sounded identical (and they can probably be made to sound damn close), the experience of using them is completely different, and so each will best suit different needs and applications.  Buy what you need.

Personally, I'm finding it refreshing that the most technically advanced modeling amp I've ever owned has me tweaking less than I ever have.  This is counter-intuitive at first glance, but when a digital amp delivers on the promise of behaving like a tube amp, you can stop thinking like an engineer and finally start thinking like "normal" guitarists have been thinking for the last 50 years or so.  And oh what I've been missing...  :)  (But now's their turn to catch on to the fact that I just bought 1000 amps and they bought 1 LOL.)

Well said!

As someone who writes original music I find myself distracted sometimes when having to edit patches for long periods of time just to dial in something that fits.

As always, though, use the tool that serves your purpose.

tekrytor

Quote from: Elantric on June 06, 2012, 10:25:20 AM
Rule #1 at Live gigs - people hear with their eyes.

Give them a show, and nobody will care that your DSP tube amp emulator failed to nail the same dynamics as a real tube amp.

When I play live, my gear choice criteria is mostly based upon:

1) Will it fit in the Car?

2) Does it offer swift setup and tear down?

3) Does it allow me to flow with the Music, and provide a good show  - and not force me to think about math, which preset bank am I on, muted gaps during each patch change - those are deal breakers for me.

4) What you are capable of expressing on the guitar using only your fingers will always trump whatever "new sound" the latest toy adds to the show.

Dead right on all counts!
If you're exhausted and frustrated from hauling and setting up a heavy and complex rig, you will be distracted and it detracts from your performance. Keeping things simple is a definate assert.

]
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

aliensporebomb

I keep thinking about using a digital projector with space or psychedelic images on the wall at my next gig.  Not even sure how I'd put the images together but it would be neat if I could use the V-Link to make the graphics happeen by playing.  That way they wouldn't look at the funny looking guy with the guitar but they'd be seeing a SHOW.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Elantric

QuoteI keep thinking about using a digital projector with space or psychedelic images on the wall at my next gig.  Not even sure how I'd put the images together but it would be neat if I could use the V-Link to make the graphics happeen by playing.

Read the V-Link threads - many important video tools and concepts  are presented there:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=39.0

DF400

Another recommendation on the visual topic is G-Force. It's a visualizer program that can use various signal input options. You can design your own wave shapes and ColorMaps combinations. I use it with a projector and a live signal from the board - works awesome. It's cheap too - I think I paid 29.00. You could also explore using CellDNA, which is a great program.

Bill Ruppert

Todd that would be VERY cool!
People would remember that.

Quote from: aliensporebomb on June 08, 2012, 05:25:02 AM
I keep thinking about using a digital projector with space or psychedelic images on the wall at my next gig.  Not even sure how I'd put the images together but it would be neat if I could use the V-Link to make the graphics happeen by playing.  That way they wouldn't look at the funny looking guy with the guitar but they'd be seeing a SHOW.

Elantric

Old thread. Just wanted to update that I now have a Axe-FXii+ with MFC-101 foot controller, and for live use I find its far more versatile as the nucleus of a full live guitar system compared to the "all in one" approach of the Kemper.(meaning the KPA remains very limited for controlling third party  gear)
After 4 years Kemper still has miles to go to match the  MIDI Control provided by AXE--FX +MFC-101, or even the GT-100.
Very few companies market products with the right mix of third party control capabilities, and the Axe Fx is at the top.

Read the Fractal Owners Manuals to discover the power of these systems

gibvictory

Congratulations. Needless to say with all your expertise you will not be disappointed with the Axe FX. I've never had the MFC controller but it seemed to have limited flexibility for what I wanted. I went with the Liquid Foot Controller. The Fractal Forum community is top notch, as it is here, and will be your friend. Good luck.

Elantric

QuoteI've never had the MFC controller but it seemed to have limited flexibility for what I wanted.

Curious what were the limitations you had with the MFC-101?

(I'm hard pressed to find any MIDi foot controller more powerful than the MFC-101 - outside an RJM Mastermind )

http://www.fractalaudio.com/p-mfc-101-midi-foot-controller.php

MFC-101 - Owners Manual
http://www.fractalaudio.com/downloads/manuals/mfc-101/MFC-101-Owners-Manual.pdf

The Fractal Audio Systems MFC-101 Mark III is a powerful, versatile, easy-to-use MIDI foot controller designed for
use with the Fractal Audio Systems Axe-Fx II, Ultra, or Standard, or any other MIDI devices such as modules, amps,
effects, synths, and more. It is built with the touring pro in mind, featuring a rugged 16-gauge powder-coated steel
chassis, 21 heavy-duty "Solid State" footswitches, which are both more durable and quieter than traditional
footswitches, a brilliant 20-character transflective display, 21 dual-color LEDs, jacks for 4 expression pedals and 4
external switches, and the performance control features that musicians demand from a best-in-class controller. In
AXE-FX MODE, the MFC-101 is the best and easiest way to control an Axe-Fx, with hassle-free integration of preset
names, intelligent control over effect bypass switching, integrated tap tempo and tuner, and more, including
"Scenes" support and a dedicated Looper Control Mode for the Axe-Fx II. The MFC-101 "Mark II" added a rugged
"EtherCON" -type connector for interfacing with the Axe-Fx II. The "Mark III" adds FASLink™, a new XLR connector
type for connecting to the Axe-Fx II via an optional XA-1 adapter, plus "Solid State Switching," with switches that
are extremely failure resistant and quiet in comparison to typical guitar stomp switches.
MFC-101 FEATURE HIGHLIGHTS
! Simple to set up and use, while powerful and flexible enough to control complex rigs.
! PRESET, SONG, and SET MODES are well-suited for a range of performance settings.
! The onboard memory stores 384 Presets, 100 Songs, and 10 Sets of up to 50 Songs each.
! Globally designate any number of footswitches for selecting PRESETS, each of which contains:
• Up to 16 MIDI program change messages (one per channel).
• ON or OFF states for up to 17 Instant Access Switches.
• ON or OFF states for up to 17 Internal Control Change ("CC") messages.
• Up to 16 bytes of custom MIDI data. Anything goes!
! Footswitches not assigned to Presets operate as INSTANT ACCESS ("IA") SWITCHES:
• Axe-Fx functions may be assigned to IA Switches simply by selecting from a list.
• "General Use" IA Switches (i.e. those not assigned to Axe-Fx functions) have independent ON and OFF
command sets, each with:
o Up to two CC# messages with custom values
o One MIDI program change command
o Up to 16 bytes of custom MIDI data. Anything goes!
• IA Switches may be set for Toggle (aka "Latching") , Momentary ("Hold") or "Auto-Off" function.
! REVEAL mode temporarily toggles Preset footswitches to their "hidden" Instant Access functions.
! Axe-Fx LOOPER CONTROL MODE gives access to all Looper functions with no programming required.
! Full support for Axe-Fx II SCENES
! Future enhancement and improvement made possible via user-upgradeable firmware capability.
! Can be powered by its own AC Adapter, by Phantom 7-pin MIDI, or by CAT5/XLR connection to Axe-Fx II.
! And more....