GR-55 - Looking for worship service patches

Started by Singwas, April 28, 2014, 12:42:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Singwas

Hi! I downloaded the complete categorized Patches... wow.. over 1.500 Patches! Thank for this inspiring collection. I m playing guitar in our sunday service. I found a lot of patches which will fit, but would anyone be so kind to post some of his patches using for worship music? Thank you.
GR 55
Godin LGXSA
Roland Testgitarre

musicman65

I play on a worship team. I don't have any patches that I would say are "worship" patches. I use a VG99 and external synth most of the time. I have GR55 that the other guitarist uses. Either setup can achieve similar results.

I play a Strat with noiseless single coils. The majority of my tones use my mag pickups or a GK Telecaster.

I have 5 patches that I use most often:

1.  59 Marshall (my main patch) - dirty but cleans up with Strat guitar vol at 4. I run a compressor post amp to make clean tones louder, similar to the way cranked tube head behaves. I have a GK Les Paul set as an alternate to my Strat tone. Think of Lincoln Brewster tone as a reference.

2.  Fender Twin - classic strat cluck and twang with a little grind, cleans up on guitar vol 7. Post compression also. Sounds shimmery with chorus. Tube screamer effect cam be turned on for grind. Alternate GK Telecaster if needed. Great patch for cleaner contemporary tunes.

3. Soldano - Modern distortion with sustain. Smooooth as butter. Alternate GK Les Paul. Good for fills, power chords, and more progressive songs.

4. Acoustic with B3 - GK Acoustic with a little chorus, reverb, EQ. Classic B3 organ if needed. Fender Twin on Mag pickups can be mixed to taste.

5. Acoustic with Viola - same GK Acoustic as #4. Dry chamber viola  if needed. Fender Twin on Mag pickups can be mixed to taste.

These patches cover 75% of our 322 songs. I do create custom patches as needed if the song has something unique like piano or synth pads.

Jim Wintringham

I posted several patches that I use. I think if you click on my name...you can link to all of my post  :)
Roland GR-55
Wechter Pathmaker PM 7354
Brian Moore i91.13 (China)
Zoom G2
Ventris Dual Reverb
Roland kc-300

musicman65

I guess I'm confused what makes a patch a "worship" patch. The patch only sounds good or not...we make it worshipful.

What style of music does your church like? Modern Contemporary Christian music uses the same instrumentation as other current music out there...and ranges from pop to rock to soul to country...and everything in between.

Jim Wintringham

Hi Frank, I am attaching my user patches (1 to 99) for you to have. I mainly use the first 10 (01-1- to 10-3). The rest are just experimental, or Sound style patches that I wanted to play with. I modify most patches to have the volume control on the 'GK' knob (on the guitar)...so I get smoother control. The pedal (for me) tends to drop out too quickly. The Modeled guitar volume is usually on the pedal. The organ patches have the MOD or MFX effects on the pedal. I use the Librarian program to test patches, as they are easy to access...and only temporary, until you save them

Jim  :)
Roland GR-55
Wechter Pathmaker PM 7354
Brian Moore i91.13 (China)
Zoom G2
Ventris Dual Reverb
Roland kc-300

Singwas

Thank you. Thats what i'm looking for. Patches which are in practical use. I know, that there is no typical "Worship-Patch", but it is helpful to get some like these.
GR 55
Godin LGXSA
Roland Testgitarre

Elantric

aliensporebomb

I have a lot of ethereal synth-like patches for the 99.  Check the synth and acoustic sections. 
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

musicman65

Alien,

I'm gonna try some of your VG99  patches. From what I've heard, they should be perfect with some of the worship material we cover. I assume they are located on the forum somewhere?

Thanks!

Jim Williams

I think you must keep in mind that "Worship" music has changed a lot in recent years and you might want to change your request to suit the sounds you are looking for. I think you might request a certain sound that my go with the song you have in mind. I only play acoustic guitar in church and I don't use my GR-55 there, frankly I think something that modern might scare the people of my church. You might want to request patches of acoustic and pad nature or if the services are a little more up beat some low to mid gain sounds might be good. but as you can see the term can cover many sounds and some details on what specific sounds might help us to create usable patches for you to get ideas from.

I also think you should look into some patch creation ideas from others and how they use it live. That might help you make some killer patches that would impress the other members of your Worship group.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

Elantric

QuoteI think you must keep in mind that "Worship" music has changed a lot in recent years

So true, some congregations are acoustic oriented, and by contrast, an old roommate was friends with the guitarist in Stryper - a popular "Jesus Rock" band - which was something i never new existed - yet some churches do embrace that form and idiom  of worship - so it all depends . . .   

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stryper

sixeight

Haven't had any requests for Stryper yet in church, though I did play an almost Metal song in a baptismal service of a teenager once - can't remember the song, but the Soldano patch is still somewhere on my VG99.

But I have quite a lot of freedom music style wise in my church, which is great. Try to play something for the youth and something mellow in most services. As long as the focus is not on me, but on the Lord, it's fine...

aliensporebomb

Quote from: musicman65 on April 29, 2014, 06:18:35 PM
Alien,

I'm gonna try some of your VG99  patches. From what I've heard, they should be perfect with some of the worship material we cover. I assume they are located on the forum somewhere?

Thanks!

Yes.  See the synth and clean and acoustic areas of the VG-99 patch area.

datsunrobbie

I never caught Stryper, but I did see a lot of contemporary Christian rock bands in the 1980s. The first time I ever saw a Roland G-707 was at a Petra concert.

Singwas

Hi! Thank you for all helpful comments. My kind of playing and arranging worship-electric guitar is like the way Paul Baloche describes in his DVD-Tutorials (look at youtube).

GR 55
Godin LGXSA
Roland Testgitarre

musicman65

Funny you should mention Paul. I saw this video and was speechless.

It seems he has an idea that worship should be done one way. I like his style but don't like the lack of freedom and the confinement. There is room at the cross for everyone! The fake "bad solo" was just bad...Lincoln Brewster has the skills and freedom to step outside the box and I like that too.

Paul's a cool dude and has a lot to share....just don't get trapped in his box! You are free.

aliensporebomb

What I ended up doing was lots and lots of arpeggios that complemented the chord progression or played it strictly and if I solo'ed it would end up being a reflection of the vocal melody. 

I did that for four of five years I think playing in a worship context. 

DreamTheory

For about a year (2012?) I played GR 55 in a new downtown church with lots of 30 somethings attending. The main leader sang and played a Taylor with a pickup that must have had some harmonic enhancers, because that thing sounds huge. Most anything you add in there would clash. We usually had bass, drums, and a keyboard player handling all the pads. This left me with, of all things, electric guitar sound- fancy that! So I set up a few models that would add some light clang or crunchiness to the mix, and makes sense with the PA system and cavernous room (renovated warehouse) we were playing in. I do not usually play the Rickenbacker guitar model, but it fit this band and provided support where needed. Occasionally I would be called upon to grunge things a bit, so I had some overdrive ready, and occasionally there would be a clean solo with requests for delay. The young folks were fond of the dotted 8th note delay.  You can use light tremolo in a quiet praise song. I used bass a few times in a pinch.
electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008