Line 6 - Firehawk Floor Processor with Variax VDI Input

Started by Elantric, January 22, 2015, 11:07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Line 6  - Firehawk Floor Processor with Variax VDI Input
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Firehawk

Appears to be an Amplifi Floor with FX Loop and VDI Variax Input - and older POD tones ( just like Amplifi)

Killer Guitar Multi-FX Processor
Get world-class tone and wireless convenience with the Line 6 Firehawk FX multi-effects guitar processor. This monster tone machine comes packed with over 200 must-have guitar amp tones and effects, including 50 of Line 6's acclaimed HD models and 128 killer presets you can call up instantly. Tons of other great tones live online, ready for you to grab them when inspiration strikes. What's more, a set of footswitches give you pedalboard-like command over you tone on the fly, while an onboard expression pedal lets you extract a massive range of nuanced expressiveness from the Line 6 Firehawk FX.

Line 6 Firehawk FX at a Glance:
Juice your creativity with superior HD modeling
Fully stocked with amazing features
Total access with the Firehawk remote app
Juice your creativity with superior HD modeling
Line 6's Firehawk FX is loaded with over 200 amps and effects, giving you the sonic mojo to forge your signature sound or nail the tones on your favorite recordings. From tasty vintage classics to shredtastic high-gain beasts, the world's best amps are now yours for the taking. And to take your tone even further, Firehawk FX is packed with cool effects, - including essential stompboxes and killer Line 6 originals. Firehawk FX is a beastly guitar processor that will juice your creativity and inspire your guitar playing.

Fully stocked with amazing features
In addition to a fully loaded selection of essential amp models and stompbox effects, the Firehawk FX includes Variax Digital inputs, an effects loop, and USB connectivity that lets you record on you Mac, Windows PC, or iOS* device. That's not the only way this cutting-edge effects processor interacts with your mobile gadget. Thanks to the amazing Firehawk Remote app, you can control your settings, save presets, and recall as many sounds as you like over Bluetooth - all from your iOS* or Android device! At Sweetwater we're jazzed about the Line 6 Firehawk FX. We're confident you will be, too!

Total access with the Firehawk remote app
Firehawk FX comes with the Firehawk Remote app for iOS* and Android, making it easier than ever to craft the ideal tone. You can sculpt elaborate signal chains from your phone or tablet, fine-tuning you tone and connecting with a huge online community of guitarists. The Line 6 cloud boasts an enormous tone library that covers virtually musical genre. In the cloud, you can create, save, and recall an unlimited number of presets and have instant access to your tones whenever you need them.

Line 6 Firehawk FX Features:
Wirelessly control every aspect of your guitar signal chain
200-plus world-class amps and effects, including 50 HD models
Five FX on/off, channel, and bank footswitches with color LED rings
Onboard tone control, plus fine editing via Bluetooth Remote app for Android and iOS*
Access 128 onboard presets plus thousands of tones in the cloud
1/4" Guitar and VDI inputs; 1/4" and XLR main outputs, plus headphone output
Low-latency DSP and USB recording
Onboard Expression Pedal; Pedal 2 input; FX loop
*iOS connectivity requires optional Apple Camera Connection Kit
Craft your tone with the Line 6 Firehawk FX!

--

What is it?
The Firehawk FX multi-effect processor combines world-class tone with intuitive app-based editing, so you can get the perfect sound faster than ever before. The Firehawk Remote app for iOS and Android gives you the power to sculpt great tone, right in the palm of your hand. Choose from over 200 legendary amps and effects—including 50 HD models—and wirelessly control every detail of your sound. You get access to 128 internal presets plus a massive online tone library, making it easy to find the right sound for any recording session, rehearsal or gig. With 1/4" and Variax Digital (VDI) inputs, two outputs, FX loop, USB connectivity and ultra-low latency, Firehawk FX is also an ideal guitar recording interface for PC, Mac and iOS.*

World-class HD modeling
Firehawk FX is packed with over 200 amps and effects, giving you powerful flexibility to create your own sound or reproduce the tones of any recording. From warm vintage classics to high-gain powerhouses, the world's best guitar amps are now at your fingertips. And to take your sound even further, Firehawk FX is loaded with inspiring effects, including must-have stompboxes and stunning Line 6 originals. Firehawk FX is a powerful guitar processor that will foster your creativity and energize your playing.

Firehawk Remote app
The Firehawk Remote app for iOS and Android makes it easier than ever to create the perfect tone. From your phone or tablet, you can craft elaborate signal chains, fine-tune hundreds of tone parameters, and connect with a massive online community of guitarists. The Line 6 cloud contains a vast library of tones covering countless genres and thousands of popular songs. You can create, save and recall an unlimited number of presets, so you'll always have access to the tones you need.

Ready for anything
Whether you're recording in the studio, playing on stage or working on new song ideas, Firehawk FX offers the power and versatility you need to deliver your best performance. Record to your Mac, PC or iOS device with extremely low latency. Hook up external effects, speakers and other gear using an array of essential connections. And when you're ready to hit the road, Firehawk FX delivers the bulletproof build quality that makes Line 6 multi-effects the top choice for professional touring guitarists.

Seamless Variax integration
Firehawk FX integrates seamlessly with Variax* guitars to deliver a powerful combination of tone and versatility. Save your Variax settings along with your Firehawk presets—including instrument models, tone knob settings, pickup settings and even alternate tunings—and edit them using the app. Instantly match your Variax sounds to your Firehawk FX amp and effects settings with the press of a footswitch. Plus, Firehawk FX powers Variax so you don't need to remember to charge your Variax battery.
*Firehawk is compatible with all Variax instruments, but only Variax Standard and James Tyler Variax models support alternate tuning and pickup features.
How do I get it?
Visit your local Line 6 retailer today to check out Firehawk FX.

Spider

It is possible to edit Variax from Android/iOS editor via Firehawk.

GuitarBuilder

I'm curious as to what the key differences would be between Firehawk and POD HD500 (other than the wireless control).
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

Elantric

QuoteI'm curious as to what the key differences would be between Firehawk and POD HD500 (other than the wireless control).

Firehawk lacks the HD500X's Mic in

Firehawk lacks the HD500X's "L6 Link" digital connection to DT25/DT50/ Line6 Powered PA Cabs

There is more than meets the eye with the new Firehawk Floor pedal. Right at the start they are advertising the Firehawk works as a USB Class Compliant Audio Interface for recording to Win/Mac/IOS.
Line 6 developed an IOS app for Firehawk Patch Editing, which is deeper than the similar IOS app for Amplifi, and rumor is they will expand this for Variax Workbench type Editor on Ipad later this year.

GuitarBuilder

This is the part that got me confused - from the Line 6 website:

QuoteThe world's greatest guitar amps. In all their HD glory.
For Firehawk FX, we opened up the Line 6 vault and included the best-sounding and most popular guitar amps from our POD® HD, POD XT and POD Farm™ families. So you get a massive collection of guitar amplifiers, including 29 models in stunning HD quality. Choose a vintage blues amp with plenty of smoky mojo—then load up a model with face-melting gain and light a fire under your next solo. After you experience the amazing sonic depth, character and detail that Firehawk FX offers, an ordinary tube amp won't look the same.

Elantric

I played the Firehawk for at least 15 minutes, it was "OK"  - but not in the same league as Kemper or even the GP-10 IMHO
QuoteFor Firehawk FX, we opened up the Line 6 vault and included the best-sounding and most popular guitar amps from our POD® HD, POD XT and POD Farm™ families. So you get a massive collection of guitar amplifiers, including 29 models in stunning HD quality.
To be honest I remain not that impressed with any of Line6 Amp Models , even those on my HD500X pale in comparison to my Kemper

GuitarBuilder

Toby Krebs

I am intrigued by the new Variax  and  only heard a short demo of the Firehawk at the show.Sounded good but no better than my HD500. The demonstrator was a good player but he did not play the Variax when I was there. He did answer my questions about the upcoming firmware update and model packs.
In my experience the HD500 sounds really good into the effect loop of my tube amps.Not so good into FRFR setups. My old GT10 sounds great through either one and I dont have to use two different sets of patches for different amplification situations like I do with the HD500. Hoping my local GC will get a new cheap Variax for me to try in the spring.

Elantric

QuoteI am intrigued by the new Variax  and  only heard a short demo of the Firehawk at the show.Sounded good but no better than my HD500. The demonstrator was a good player but he did not play the Variax when I was there.

I concur the Firehawk - but it does open the door for patch  Editing with iPad during middle of the live gig - something the HD500X cant do. 

I also noticed that the Line6 Demonstrator (Sean Halley) on the Line 6 Stage used his Black HSS Fender Strat for all demos - and not the Variax Standard 

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=304357

vtgearhead

Quote from: Elantric on January 26, 2015, 04:41:15 PM
To be honest I remain not that impressed with any of Line6 Amp Models , even those on my HD500X pale in comparison to my Kemper

Seconded.  The HD500 tube amp emulation has very unrealistic response to input volume variation.  The GR55 is quite a bit better, but I still keep coming back to my Fender Mustang III for convincing tube sounds.  There's a lot I don't like about the Fender, but the amp modeling is quite good. 

I'd love to try a Kemper, but cannot find a dealer in New England that carries them and it's too costly for a speculative purchase.

Elantric

GuitarBuilder

Deus02

Elantric

Coming soon

Mitch Gallagher presents the Line 6 Firehawk FX guitar processor. After the video, click the link above for even more info on the Line 6 Firehawk FX.

Expected to be available April 24, 2015

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/line-6-firehawk-guitar-multi-effects

Elantric

Elantric

Elantric

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/firehawk-remote/id962503739?mt=8
Firehawk Remote
Firehawk Remote is the control app for the Line 6 Firehawk FX multi-effect pedal, making it easier than ever to create the perfect guitar tone.

From your phone or tablet, you can craft elaborate signal chains, fine-tune hundreds of tone parameters, and connect with a massive online community of guitarists. The Line 6 cloud contains a vast library of tones covering countless genres and thousands of popular songs. You can create, save and recall an unlimited number of presets, so you'll always have access to the tones you need.

Download it today to view the introductory tutorial and explore the possibilities.

KEY FEATURES
• Take command of the 29 HD Amp Models, 25 HD Effects Models, 78 POD Farm Amp Models, and 95 POD Farm Effects Models in your Firehawk FX.
• Control and configure 8 simultaneous effects
• Remotely control output and playback levels of your Firehawk FX
• Assign effects to colored LED foot switches of your Firehawk FX
• Assign the FX knob and expression pedal to individual effect parameters
• Set and save Line 6 Variax® Parameters to recall the guitar, pickup, and tunings when used with a Line 6 Variax® Standard, or James Tyler Variax®
• Share your tonal creations via Twitter and Facebook
• Made for iPhone 6®, iPhone® 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPad® (4th generation), iPad mini, iPad (3rd generation), iPad 2 and iPod touch® (5th generation)

Elantric

Line 6 Firehawk FX Unboxing and Discussion.

My beef with the line 6 Firehawk Fx

Elantric

Elantric

made entirely using the Firehawk FX and my iPad. All recorded into GarageBand. Beautiful strings are coming from the amazing IOS app called Thumbjam.

Elantric

I'm researching if the Firehawk can be used as IOS audio interface for Positive Grid BIAS (IOS), Amplitube, Yonac ToneStack.

Word on street is the Firehawk has a patch change time which is very long with silent 300ms mute between patch changes
http://line6.com/support/topic/13511-time-between-preset-switching-unbearable/

Edit - It changes patches MUCH faster than the GR-55, and like the GP-10, the Firehawk FX does NOT mute the backing audio tracks if you are streaming them via Bluetooth from your iphone /ipad 

I found the real time streaming of Audio via Bluetooth 4.0 LE from iPhone 6 / iPad Air to be the Lowest latency Audio Bluetooth connection I have ever experienced! ( and Ive tried most of them!)

Live Performance with Bluetooth Audio - A2DP apt-x BT 4.0 LE
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7019.msg48972#msg48972

But seems to be directly impacted by the live Bluetooth connection to the Firehawk iPad Editor

How to Update Firehawk FX Firmware
http://line6.com/support/page/kb/_/effects-controllers/firehawk/updating-the-firehawk-fx-via-usb-on-a-pc-r738

Rev E manual
http://line6.com/data/6/0a064389f12c5564c72bd7f4a/application/pdf/Firehawk%20FX%20User%20Manual%20(Rev%20E)%20-%20English%20(%20Rev%20E%20).pdf

Debugging if there exists a way to expose the MIDI Communication between the FIREHAWK REMOTE IOS App and the FIREHAWK

I'm looking at creating a break out box  mod to provide the missing MIDI Out ( to control other gear)  via the Variax VDI jack

May require adding a MIDI Solutions Event Processor to make these MIDi messages designed to changing Variax Patches be useful for controlling other gear.

Compare HD500X vs Firehawk
http://line6.com/pod-vs-firehawk/

Firehawk Reviews
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Firehawk/reviews

----

Robert  from Indiana
May 13, 2015

Amazing Product!!!

I have been a proud owner of many line six products. When I heard about this product coming out I knew that I had to have it. The problem that can occur when setting such a high expectation for product is that something you can easily become a letdown. Within five minutes of pulling this out of the box I was using it. The problem that can occur when setting such a high expectation for product is that something you can easily become a letdown. Within five minutes of pulling this out of the box I was using it. This very quickly became the staple that I currently have in my rig. The tones in this paddleboard are incredible. The app for it makes the whole process very streamlined. This very quickly became the staple that I currently have in my rig. The tones in this pedal are incredible. Between this and my Variax there is no tone that I have wanted that I could not recreate.

---
May 6, 2015   
Works for me

Coming from the "post Bradshaw rack/midi controlled rack" era & desiring to have a multitude of effects in a compact package as well as going thru two X3's & two Pod Pros, the Firehawk most definitely works for me & gets me where I want to go fast. With the trend now being stomp box pedalboards, I can understand the Firehawk (as well as the HD's & the X3's) being overwhelming & if you're comfortable with stomp box pedalboards, then this probably won't work for you. Since I'm not a Spring chicken I can understand stomp box pedalboards getting you there with less fuss as I used them for many years till the "rack trend" hit in the '80's. But I'm also on this to encourage younger players to give this way of think a try, & if you'd rather go stomp box pedalboard, line6 makes some killer stand alone stomp boxes for your rig.
As to the Firehawk itself, I'm totally onboard with the app editing. LOVE it!
I guess if I had a con, it would be to have a few more user presets than 12, but honestly, you can edit all the factory presets to your liking, & thru doing that & putting your spin on them you can come up with some pretty cool tones.
So sure, if it comes off overwhelming, then I guess one should look elsewhere. For those okay with all the choices, for me, the Firehawk is a big step forward in managing sounds, & above all, sounds GREAT.

--

Don Conoscenti from Taos NM
April 20, 2015

Been a Line 6 user a long time for both stage and studio and got in line for one of these the moment it was announced at NAMM and listed on Sweetwater. I needed something to replace my POD X3 Live and this unit is ideal. More streamlined, but no sacrifices and being able to edit/save in an iPad or iPhone (or Android device) is just right. The foot switching and banking setup is designed really well and intuitively. It's also a real tank. No plastic feel to this unit. The one downside will be flying with it (14.7 lbs) due to the 50 pound baggage weight limits with the airlines but the upside is I can trust that it won't suffer the fate of my X3 Live which was well cared for, traveled in a road case and sounded awesome, but only lasted three years which was a dissapointingly short lifespan for a $500 piece of gear that I depended on and used almost daily on stage and in the studio. The Firehawk tones are fat and the presets are totally usable right out of the box but I've always built my own tones and it's easier than ever with the free bluetooth app. Even before I had found the (almost invisible) bluetooth pairing button on the unit I plugged it in, attached the USB cable and HD guitar tone started streaming out of my studio monitors immediately. I ran it through a channel in my Apollo, added the Studer plugin, routed it to a track in Studio One Pro and I was tracking within minutes with a custom Blackface setup with a 2-12 cabinet, some overdrive, a pristine hall reverb and a little tape delay. It was fast and easy to create and save to one of several available user banks that were easily accessed from the banking switches on the unit (or in the app). The low end is amazing and the bluetooth interface is brilliant. I'm a six string and occasional seven string player and I can see that the seven and eight string players out there are going to be all over this. Fire up the TreadPlates. This is worth every dollar and is priced right at $450.

--

April 26, 2015   
Good Tones but Way too Complicated

I have had many Line 6 products in the past, including the spider valve with short board foot pedal, desktop pods, flex tone III, etc. This new firehawk is built solidly and has some very good tones. However, plan to spend hours and hours tweaking the huge number of parameters. I spent five hours in my first session with this and was really just getting started exploring the options, tones and capabilities. One thing that I could not figure out how to resolve was when I would switch from one patch to another the volume level would be loud as if the volume pedal was all the way toe down at 100%, even though I had the heal down which was set at 70% for each of the patches I created and saved. Anyway, I decided to return the Firehawk and stay with my little Zoom G3X, which is a great unit... very simple, compact with great tones and effects.

--
http://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/firehawk-firmware-v1-1-when.1576512/

Digital Igloo, do you know when the FireHawk's New feature list will be released? That shouldn't be contingent on Apple and Google right?
QuoteAside from fixes and optimizations, there are three new notable features. One's leaked already (Channel Volume from the stepped encoder), another is pretty obvious, and the third I'm not allowed to talk about... just yet.

It's not a corporate policy on secrecy or anything; it's quite literally a legal issue. Because Yamaha is a publicly traded company, announcing things ahead of time gets really sketchy. It deals with deferred revenue, Enron, and a bunch of trade law stuff that doesn't really interest me.

Smaller independent companies can talk about upcoming products and features all they want. And companies with tons of cash like Apple can defer billions in revenue, just to build months of hype.

. . . .

Development and testing of 1.1 is finished, and we're just waiting on app approval from Google and Apple. With luck, it'll be this week sometime, but it's not up to us.

The good news: Bluetooth dropout issues have been notably improved and we're adding new features: Channel Volume from the big encoder (leaked on our site), something you guys have already guessed but I can't yet confirm (that starts will "L") [Looper] , and an entirely new thing I can't talk about until it's released.

The bad news: While 1.1 eliminates the weird artifacts that sometimes appear when switching from preset to preset, the switching time is still longer than we'd like. We're currently investigating possible solutions.

QuoteWhats new in this release:
*Feature: One-Button Looper adds a new signal flow block that can be placed at the beginning or the end of the signal flow and can be assigned to a single footswitch via the app

*Feature: Live Edit mode provides editing functionality for most patch parameters from the device without using the app

*Bug Fix: Volume Pedal loads correct range upon patch load

*Bug Fix: App > Device Bluetooth connection stability has been improved

Please note:
*This firmware requires iOS/Android app version 1.10 or later.

*For a complete description of new features, be sure to download the updated manual here http://line6.com/support/manuals/firehawkfx

New Live Edit mode—adjust nearly all amp, cab, and effects parameters without a mobile device (or even taking your hands off the guitar)
New one-button looper (20 seconds)
New channel volume from stepped encoder
Improved Bluetooth performance
Removed artifacts when switching patches; we're still working on making it faster
Volume pedal now behaves properly when switching patches

Elantric

Elantric

Just heard that my IdeaScale Request for FireHawk FX is under review

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Firehawk-FX-USB-Re-Amp-Feature-+-MIDI-control-message-over-USB/727710-23508

Idea#2308
This idea is in review.
EFFECTS/PROCESSORS »
Firehawk FX USB Re-Amp Feature + MIDI control message over USB

I want a USB "Re-Amp" capability - with the ability to set the USB Send and USB receive points at any point in the signal path:
the major benefit is Firehawk FX sales would triple if it could be used as a platform for running IOS Guitar FX (NOI.ise FLUX:FX, Johnny tremolo, etc) .
I seek this type flexibility for the USB Audio connection in Firehawk:

+ Add ability for Firehawk to transmit over USB some basic MIDI Patch change messages and MIDI CC# messages over its existing USB 2.0 Class Compliant interface - and everyone wins!

mbenigni

QuoteJust heard that my IdeaScale Request for FireHawk FX is under review

http://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Firehawk-FX-USB-Re-Amp-Feature-+-MIDI-control-message-over-USB/727710-23508

Good stuff.  I hope this functionality makes its way to the Helix, too, if it isn't already there.  I understand the audio routing is very flexible via all the 1/4" analog I/O, but I don't know how configurable the USB Audio is, in terms of send and return points.

admin