JamOrigin - MIDI Guitar = Polyphonic Guitar to MIDI Software

Started by Charles5150, December 15, 2012, 05:18:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Williams

Jamorigin is pretty good about getting bugs fixed and updates out. by the end of the summer this software should be the computer solution for guitarists I am glad to have bought the license and can't wait until the software is fixed and stable. There might be a time when your computer is your rig. Now this might even be a good OS for pedal board that hosts VST instruments and effects.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

JamOrigin

We just put up version 0.7.1 with a temporary fix to the scanning plugins problem and a few other fixes.

http://jamorigin.com/midi-guitar/MIDI-Guitar-0.7.1-Win.zip
http://jamorigin.com/midi-guitar/MIDI-Guitar-0.7.1-Mac.zip

Kenmac,
Thanks for posting! No problems posting links here. As mentioned the plugin scanner problem should be solved now.

Shatner,
There is a video tutorial for Studio One in the documentation, and a text guide of how to do with Logic. Both are very easy to setup.

mbenigni,
We will of course notify subscribers and put the new version on the website. The reason we put it on a few forums first is to ensure its quality and that most critical bugs are fixed before most people upgrade. The plugin scanner bug is a good example :)

Elantric

Thank you JamOrigin for making VGuitarforums one of your frequent stops on the web and keeping us all informed on your progress with this breakthrough technology!

JamOrigin

Quote from: Elantric on May 17, 2013, 02:47:51 PM
Thank you JamOrigin for making VGuitarforums one of your frequent stops on the web and keeping us all informed on your progress with this breakthrough technology!

My pleasure. We have still a lot to learn from you folks over here ;)

mbenigni

QuoteWe will of course notify subscribers and put the new version on the website. The reason we put it on a few forums first is to ensure its quality and that most critical bugs are fixed before most people upgrade. The plugin scanner bug is a good example

I really appreciate the response, and I REALLY appreciate your product! 

But as for vetting your betas through select forums - bear in mind that everyone who's paid in thus far did so knowing they were getting a beta product.  I think most if not all of those customers would want to know about improved betas as early as possible.  Not a huge deal of course, more a friendly recommendation.  For my part I'll keep my eye on that KVR thread going forward.

Best of luck with this.  You guys are doing great work!

Kenmac

Here's the latest word from JamOrigin over on the KVR forum about a fix for the scanning issues:

"Thanks everyone for all the feedback!

We have fixed the plugin scanner and indeed there was a typo in the tuner which made it tune way off sharp, mostly notable on low strings. This might explain why some have had tracking inferior to 0.6 if you have been using MG 0.7's own tuner.

I'll just get back to you with answers after building 0.7.2 later today.

One question we get a lot:
We haven't actually officially released 0.7 on the website because we needed some hands on testing first to ensure that most users have a good experience with the upgrade. The plugin scanner and tuner are good examples of how things sometimes go wrong.

We'll be back soon."

FWIW I didn't realize there were issues with the tuner as my tracking seemed to be fine but I'm glad they'll be fixing it.
"Let them brush your rock and roll hair."

jdh40k

Kenmac

Quote from: jdh40k on May 23, 2013, 11:50:02 AM
hi when does midi guitar 0.7 come out?

It's already out. They've updated the program to version 0.7.2 and the scanning problem is fixed now. I haven't had time to test it out with a guitar yet but I'll check it out later this evening. Check out http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=359095&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=720  near the bottom of the page you'll find the download link for version 0.7.2.

Kenmac

Well here's another update.  :o They've just released version 0.7.3. Here's what it says in the readme file:

Recognition:

* Crisper feel and reduced spurious hits.
* Fixed issue with small buffersizes causing bad tracking.
* CPU usage reductions.

General:
* Adding single plugin file in the plugin browser does no longer time out.

It's here: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=359095&start=750  near the bottom of the page.
I'd also like to say I was trying out the "old" version 0.7.2. stand alone last night and I like the new addition in the plugin where you're able to add virtual amps along with whatever VSTi you're using. I found some nice combinations, for example, with the rear humbucker active, load in an organ plugin and set it to either a Hammond or Rock Organ type sound then set your virtual amps settings to a crunch sound. Very satisfying and very playable. If you're more into clean sounds try a single coil guitar on either position 2 or 4 (the so-called "out-of-phase" sound) then call up a wurly, grand piano or Rhodes sound. I've also come up with some stranger combinations that weren't very musical.  :) Needless to say I'm having fun with this plugin.

Kenmac

I hope you aren't getting tired or these updates because here's a new version,

"0.7.4 BETA is out.

WHATS NEW:
* Fixed issue with plugin windows not resizing correctly.
* Reduced number of plugin scanning issues."

Right at the top of the page: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=359095&start=765  I'll be doing more testing this evening. In all honesty I think this plugin keeps getting better and better.

Kenmac

Here we go again with another update. Version 0.7.5 is available. Here's some information about it:

"WHATS NEW:

Recogition:
* Bends less prone to re-triggering.
* Improved poly tuning (still experimental).

General:
* Four small synths built in (ePiano, Piano, VA and FM synths)
- thanks to mda/smartelectronix for these.

Bug fixes:
* Fixed plugin scanner issues on Windows.

Also there are some changes in loading/hosting plugins. I hope this will allow to open some of those plugins that previously wouldn't, and that we didn't introduce too many new plugin issues."

It's near the top of the page: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=359095&start=795

jdh40k

Kenmac

Quote from: jdh40k on June 22, 2013, 06:37:18 AM
when does midi guitar 0.8 come out?

There's been no word yet on KVR about it but I'm sure they're working on the next version.

jdh40k

pjmuck

I just downloaded the free iPhone app. Not bad. I was able to control Sampletank sounds and Amplitube sounds simultaneously despite the supposed lack of Audiobus support. (Is that coming soon?). I'm considering the full download now, but I was left feeling that the app needed a few more options for tweaking and fine tuning performance beyond just the simple sensitivity input and level controls. (Maybe the full download offers this?). Was perfectly fine for slow playing and chordal pads, but too many misfires, false triggers, etc. when trying to play fast.
Live gear:

Boss GM-800
Boss GKC-AD
Boss Katana Artist 100
Fender Mustang GTX100
Roland GR-33
Liquid Foot Jr. midi foot controller
Boss EV-5
Godin LGX-SA guitar (lefty)
Line 6 Variax 500 guitar (lefty)
Carvin LB50 w GK3B

Elantric

QuoteSampletank sounds and Amplitube sounds simultaneously despite the supposed lack of Audiobus support. (Is that coming soon?)

If you have applied updates recently - both those apps actually now have AudioBus support

SampleTank for iOS Now Supports Audiobus
11 April 2013
http://www.ikmultimedia.com/news/?item_id=2438

AmpliTube Apps Add Audiobus Support for iPhone and iPad
14 March 2013

http://www.ikmultimedia.com/news/?item_id=2287

Kenmac

It's update time again. Version 0.8.0 is available with some exciting new enhancements. Here's what they said:

"MIDI Guitar 0.8.0 beta released!

WHAT'S NEW:

Audio Recognition:

General tracking improvements.
Improved tracking of minor seconds.
Improved latency at non-44.1Khz samplerates. All samplerates should now perform identically.

General:

Our new MIDI Machine is now embedded in MIDI Guitar. It allows you to easily create arpeggiators, harmonizers, chord filters, or indeed any imaginable midi effect.

Added project management to make it easier to switch between sound setups. The project stores all parameters including VST instrument and -effect states as well as the MIDI Machine setup.

MIDI Learn functionality.
MIDI Program Change can switch projects at the press of a button.
Added VST/AudioUnit parameters for VST automation.
Basic velocity curve setting.
Settings are now only saved on shutdown.

Bugfixes:

Fixed issues with plugin scanner when used in plugin.
Fixed save of MIDI enable/disable in plugin.
Fixed bug where Test Piano would load after being disabled.
Fixed concurrency issues with multiple instances of MIDI Guitar running.
Fixed issues with disrupted VST plugins preventing MIDI Guitar from launching.
Many other bugfixes."

You can find the download link here: http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=359095&start=855   near the bottom of the page. I can't wait to try out the new MIDI Machine.  :)

mbenigni

QuoteAdded project management to make it easier to switch between sound setups. The project stores all parameters including VST instrument and -effect states...
MIDI Program Change can switch projects at the press of a button.

This sounds like it might be pretty significant if you're looking for an efficient live solution.

Kenmac

Quote from: mbenigni on July 09, 2013, 11:03:04 AM
This sounds like it might be pretty significant if you're looking for an efficient live solution.

Agreed, that would come in very handy. Just a note, they've made a minor update to version 0.8.1 and of course you can download it at the same link.  :)

Kenmac

Well, now they've made a minor update to 0.8.2. Download it at the same link.  :)

Kenmac

Latest update, they're now up to version 0.9.0. Here are the details:

"MIDI Guitar 0.9 beta released!

We're happy to announce that BETA version 0.9.0 is ready for testing. The update is almost entirely devoted to tracking improvements, and as always we need your feedback. We expect a few 0.9.x releases with further tracking improvements but are currently held back a bit by CPU usage constraints that we have solve first. Its not a promise, but we certainly look forward for further investigations.

WHAT'S NEW IN 0.9.0:

Major tracking improvements (generally more responsive and improved latency). Also fixed some tracking issues at buffer sizes smaller than 5.8ms (bug in 0.7, 0.8 )

Support for drop D/D# tunings.

Built in interactive help system and documentation.

Smaller binary file sizes.

New "Dynamics" MIDI Machine for dynamics automation

Fix: No longer sends out MIDI CC-119 streams
Fix: Various minor fixes

ATTENTION:

We discovered that all versions 0.7.x and 0.8.x has a bug which will overwrite recognition presets (including the default ones) with a uniform/flat pitch sensitivity iff those presets have been originally created with another version of MIDI Guitar. This typically has bad impact on tracking. It is now corrected in 0.9 and forward but please delete or revisit your old recognition presets. Also make sure you try each of the three default presets again to find the best setup for your guitar.

Also, versions 0.7 - 0.8 have had a problem where buffers smaller than 256 at 44.1Kh would degrade quality tracking considerably. This is fixed in 0.9."

You can find the download link near the bottom of this page:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=359095&start=915

Kenmac

New updated version is now available for download. According to the developer this new version 0.9.2 has some minor tracking fixes. As of this writing the link is towards the bottom of the page.

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=359095&start=945

cooltouch

I found out about MIDI Guitar just a few days ago, and was pointed to this thread. Looks like it's grown a bit stale, but allow me to mention that MIDI Guitar is now up to 0.9.3 beta.

I d/l'd a copy of 0.9.3 yesterday and, after a couple initial hair pulling hours, I realized I was trying to make things too complicated and finally got it to work. Just let me echo what everyone else is saying about the quality of this software product. So far the only way I can get it to produce sound is using ASIO4ALL drivers, despite my M-Audio sound card having native ones. Still even using the ASIO4ALL drives, I'm down to about 240 samples at 5.0 ms at 48000 Hz. That's as low as my system can go. Any lower than that and it starts making wierd growling noises. Not complaining, though. 5.0 ms is livable.

I've probably spent three or four hours just playing around with MG, which I think is long enough to start forming a few opinions and, while the latency is great, I find the tracking leaves a lot to be desired. Frequently when I hit a lower note, say a note on the 4th-6th strings, if I play it with any force at all, it will often sound a half step higher. And yes my guitar is perfectly in tune. There is this natural characteristic of a string that, if it is struck hard, it will sound somewhat sharp momentarily and I can't help but wonder if that natural tendency is affecting the program.  Currently I have pitch prediction set to 3, at the advice of MG, and I have sensitivity set to about 50 right now. I've played around with the Sensitivity slider some and it does seem to help reduce artifacts if I lower it. When I first started using MG I had it set to 98, which I think was just too much. As for the pitch sensitivity window, that's gonna take some time to get it configured, but I guess I should spend the time if that's the best way to eliminate the tendency to play a half step sharp in some instances.

I've noticed a few other things that I guess fall under the heading of "tracking."  If I just lightly -- or even moderately -- strum a chord, say an open Emaj or a bar chord based on its shape -- the notes that will sound will be the low root, the 5th on the next string, nothing from the 4th string, the 3rd from the third string, nothing from the 2nd string and nothing from the 1st string. I know what's going on here. MG hears that I've played an E and B already so suppresses the repetition of them as I hit them later, even though they are of different octaves. If I want these notes to sound, I have to get really aggressive at those particular notes to get them to sound. So strumming ends up being a real pain and sounds really choppy. Unfortunately, if I try playing fingerstyle, the holes frequently show themselves there, too, which makes for a very choppy sounding performance. Interestingly enough, though, if I "roll" the chords -- that is, intentionally spacing the notes of the chord apart until they are almost an arpeggio, they all sound out just fine. It's when I try to play them simultaneously that I run into problems.

Like many, many others I'm sure, I hope that MG will support pitch bending soon.  I bend strings frequently when I solo and that's also the way I produce vibrato. But I have a question about how far they will go when they finally do support it. One of the things I do when I bend strings is often I will anchor a finger, typically my pinky, on a fret and then bend strings adjacent to it, so that I can shape chords, sort of the way a steel guitarist does. It's also very popular in blues. In the key of Am for example with my hand in the 5th position,  I will anchor my pinky on the second string, 8th fret ('g'), and then wth my third finger I will place it on the 3rd string 7th fret, pluck both the 2nd and 3rd strings and then bend the 3rd string up until the pitch is one step higher (from a d to an e). The intervals are dg to eg. This is one simple example of many where I will hold a note or two and bend a string against it.  So I'm thinking that things will start getting a little complicated as soon as you introduce a second voice while one is being raised in pitch -- all while staying in a single MIDI channel?  I don't know what the solution will be, but if you can come up with one that would be not only a great achievement I feel, but also a great way to add realism to a performance.

Oh, and I guess this falls under the "pet peeves" category more than anything else because it sort of prevents me from enjoying the only voice that lasts indefinitely. I'm well aware that the sounds a guitar produces are actually an octave lower than the way they are scored on the musical staff. But why does the Test Piano have to play everything an octave higher, as if it's reading what I'm playing, and not hearing it?  And really, if we want to get picky, that treble clef on the guitar sheet music should have a little figure '8' at its bottom, so the piano should be taking note of that fact, and playing in the correct octave.  Yes?  Your "real" sounds don't do this -- the ones that last for only a minute or so -- so why does the Test Piano do it?

Okay that's it. Please don't consider my comments to be critical of your work. I mention them because I want to see your MIDI Guitar to continue to improve. Because really you have something unique and I remain quite excited about it.

Best,
Michael

Kenmac

New update for MIDI Guitar available. Here's the information and links:

"0.9.5 BETA Released

Here is another small update. A clever little MIDI Machine can load Scala files and adds Microtonal support (to get it go into "Create MIDI Machines"). Weird issues with Ableton Live 9 were fixed.

WHATS NEW:

* New "Microtonal" MIDI Machine for playing microtonal music.
* Improved built-in help with index pages.
* Fixed plugin GUI issues in Ableton Live 9.
* Fixed missing warning labels for samplerate and buffer size.
* Fixed a crash bug in MIDI Machine.

We are currently working more on tracking optimisations, multi-channel midi and bass support. We'd also like to get out of BETA to signal that the software is ready for production environments. Getting out of BETA status will not change the pursuit for core technology improvements.

Lastly, just heads up to all of you who have participated in the very early beta phase (a year ago now...wow time flew): We are very thankful for all the testing and of course the free early adapter licenses that were distributed, many on KVR, are going to be valid onwards in version 1.x.. Thank you very much!"

You can find the download links near the bottom of the page:
http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=359095&start=975

Brak(E)man

I've tried it for the last couple of days with a fretless electric mag pickups and a fretless nylon acoustic with a transducer piezo mounted inside the body and both trig better than my expectations , the biggest issue is bend (well it's not really bend but slide :) ),  but that's always a bit of a problem with fretless and midi, but it has to get better in order for it to work properly, but it's on it's way.
I'd love to plug in my fretless nylon in my macbook and mix the acoustic sound with a soft synth, a bit better pitchbend and a bit better trig in poly mode and I'm buying it
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch