TC Helicon Voicelive3

Started by BackDAWman, February 05, 2014, 01:27:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nervoteso

thanks a lot

nervoteso

Quote from: Vade on August 06, 2014, 06:36:51 PM
@Another thing about the VL3 that hasn't been mentioned is the latency in the guitar path. While it is not that bad, it is borderline. Add another digital processor in front of it (or two) and a wireless and it becomes noticeable.

There'd be no excess wireless latency involved in the way I've designed the rig in my head (always iffy). It would just be the latency of the GP-10 added to the VL3 latency. I'm hoping to run the GP-10 out into the VL3 guitar in and have the FTP enter the path differently. FTP dongle feeding into ios or Mac and having their headphone output enter the VL3 aux. I currently see two complications with this...

1. If I'm using an alt tuning I'd need to arrange for alt tuning in the ios/Mac software as well. It may not track very well but I'm planning on using it for ambient sweeps. The kind of stuff that folks couldn't tell if it were tracking well or not in the swirling

P.S. I know no midi sync with VL3 as of now although they may add midi slave IIRC.

Hi could you please explain your guitar rig? I also would like to use gp10 through voicelive 3, should i plug gp10 outputs to vl3 inputs and disable all guitar simulations and effects? Also i would like to use digitech trio and use mac or ipad for recording and use synt, how can i plug all this stuff? Do i need a mixer?  I would like to use vk3 only for vocals and acoustic guitar. Nothing sounds better then gp10, the best pedalboard around

Vade

Hi nervoteso;

I have a blog here on the forum at...

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10117.100

...and that pretty much sums up my journey into high tech guitar, synths, and midi. The first post has been edited to contain many useful links from VGuitar and that may be worth a look. Other than that it's just my various stages of development as I learned and your best bet might be to start with post #106 where I describe the essentials of my current system. There's a couple of YouTube vids I posted that go into further detail later in the thread. I've also added a Scarlett 18i8 audio interface which comes with some decent routing software so that I can feed my FTP generated synths from my PC into the aux input of my VL3 and that's how I solved the problem of getting my synths into VL3's looper along with the vocals and guitar. Perhaps you'd be kind enough to read through the thread a bit and then if you've got specific questions or suggestions you could post them there.

Good luck with your journey in any case; you will be pleased ;D
Drachen; Fender FTP Strat w/internal GK-3, Godin xtSA w/FTP, Boss GP-10, VoiceLive 3, Scarlett 18i8, ZBox IQ01, On-Lap 1502i, D:fine 4088, 4E Dual Axis Exp Pedal, VoiceSolo FX-150, Yamaha DXR 10, Gem. M2 Flute, Special 20 Harmonicas. Fender Deluxe Reverb Mahogany Cane.

https://soundcloud.com/vadie

nervoteso

Thanks for the info.
Finally i've found a good Setup:

Gp 10 out to vl3 input, guitar output of vl3 to trio input, from trio output to rc3 looper, from the stereo outputs of rc3 to aux in of vl3 ( i use rc3 just tohave stereo drums of trio). Go10 is connected to mac by usb so i can also have sinth from logic. Xlr outputs of vl3 are connected to 2 yamaha monitors hs7.

It sounds cool. I've disabled guitar simulations of vl3 and effects ( if i want them it's enough to push them. So i can have drums also in the vl3 looper, sinth of gp10 and logic, great gp10 tones, amazing vocals. I've set gp10 outputs on mac so i can have drums of trio also on mac. I post a pic, i should manage better cables

Thanks to anyone has suggested this.

nervoteso

I've noticed that if i use gp-10 outputs sound is amazing, if i pass thfouht voicelive it is not so good.
I need vocals drums looper and synth. So my chain is:

Gp10 outputs to boss flanger pedal, to space eventide, to voicelive 3 guitar input, from xtm voicelive outputs to focusrite scarlett 6i6, pkugged usb to mac pro. From guitar thru of voicelive 3 to trio, to boss rc3 to aux in of voicelive 3. So i can have all in this chain, harmonized vocals, recording looper, synt from logic x. Sound is good but not as good as if i listen to ditectky from gp10 outputs. Any advice?

Vade

VoiceLive 3 & Extreme Firmware Update 2.1.00 BETA Available to Test

Highlights

-Looper "busy" bug fixed
-USB Audio (for realz this time we swear!)
-New Backing Track routing options for VL3X
-Synth Improvements
-Faster firmware and preset transfer

http://support.tc-helicon.com/entries/96402117-VoiceLive-3-Extreme-Firmware-Update-2-1-00-BETA-Available-to-Test
Drachen; Fender FTP Strat w/internal GK-3, Godin xtSA w/FTP, Boss GP-10, VoiceLive 3, Scarlett 18i8, ZBox IQ01, On-Lap 1502i, D:fine 4088, 4E Dual Axis Exp Pedal, VoiceSolo FX-150, Yamaha DXR 10, Gem. M2 Flute, Special 20 Harmonicas. Fender Deluxe Reverb Mahogany Cane.

mordecai

I am using a standard VL3. Getting closer on the usb audio. When using to playback music on iPad and computer it's great. Tracking audio in a daw seems to work pretty good too. The ultimate for me would be running bias fx but that's just not working out. Lots and lots of crackling and digital distortion. No other apps running in airplane mode. I used Bias by itself and it worked ok. Fast runs will really make latency apparent. But far far better than last beta related to audio over usb.

So for now if I want to use internal guitar and an iPad I have a pretty great live rig. I am able to use FTP/SampleTank, OnSong(w/backing tracks), and Session Band(backing tracks). With sacrificing 3 effects I don't usually use I can use the 3-switch to start/stop backing tracks and scroll up and down in Onsong. So really this is a really great setup. Again if it was able to handle controlling Bias FX it'd be an unstoppable tool. Well really I'd like to see a bit better midi setup, only thing I'd like to see for my setup is expression pedal values to be sent out so I can use wah and volume in bias fx. That would make me buy the newer version and sell my HD500 and DT25... Until then we will keep hoping. soft step2 looks great just can't get the nerve to pay that much for something I can do on my HD500.

Elantric

It's a bummer that VoiceLive 3 has poor Audio performance and high latency

(Mine is also unusable as iPad Audio Interface for BIAS FX)

mordecai

Been playing with routing and finding this beta very handy. You can use the USB audio as a secondary audio aux. what I've been doing is feeding the Monitor input with my Focusrite itrack solo connected to my iPad running onsong and Bias FX. I use the standard midi connections to USB connected to iPad. Then take the USB on VL3 to my MacBook that runs Logic, Band in a Box, and Ableton Live 9. Need to do a bit more Midi routing work but what I'd like to work towards is playback and automation via Ableton Live 9 to control Vl3, Bias FX, OnSong, and when needed SampleTank. Midi routing is not more strong suit but shoudnt be to hard. Prob need a midi thru box I have been using a Midi Y cable with good results but only to send on 2 channels this would be 4 or more.

Ableton ran just fine on my old Dell Venue 8 Pro but battery life was so bad I sold it. I probably should have kept it and ran it to the power block my itrack is plugged.

Regardless the USB audio as independent aux input is really great to have.

Vade

Glad to hear that you like the USB audio from the Beta mordecai. My concerns are similar to Elantrics in that the USB audio was 16 bit with a delay of ~70 ms as noted earlier in this thread. Does the beta improve any of that? Keep us posted on your progress if you've the interest to do so. I pretty much just walked away from the ios/VL3 USB stuff and my iConnectMIDI4+ has been gathering dust ever since. Best of luck in any case!

mordecai

Yeah it does a better job than it did last time as far as latency but still unusable to do anything but act as an aux input
for playing back tracks. I am only using the USB Audio capabilities to playbacking tracks at this point. Not driving anything with it. Using my Focuseite iTrack Solo to do all the iPad audio and taking that to the Monitor in on the VL3. What this does is gives me the ability to connect my computer using all my heavy duty programs for playback and midi triggering only. Once I have it all sorted out and working I'll make a diagram.

Basically I am treating it as a new "USB Aux INPUT" and it has its own level mix so I can run Bias FX and USB audio and mix it on the VL3. I also set Natural Play to auto. Am going to post over at the TC forum to see if them can make USB be part of Natural Play as well.

So really since only backing tracks are being played thru the USB Audio latency is a moot point as nothing is ever being sent out and having to travel back. Hopefully I will be able to have Ableton live play my backing tracks, automate effects on off on VL3 and Bias FX, and scroll my pages in OnSong all from a small Windows tablet, iPad, iTrack Solo, and VL3.

greekjgg

How easy is it on this unit to punch in pre-recorded guitar loops during a live performance? I understand the backing track feature...but often I don't need an entire song length for a track. Just certain spots like during a guitar solo to quickly engage a quick loop.
Setup:
Homemade EVH Frankenstrat with built in GK3
GR55
Rocktron Talkbox
TC Helicon Voicetone C1
Tech 21 Power Engine 60

Vade

Hi greekjgg;

The VoiceLive 3 has three loop tracks and each of them can have multiple layers overdubbed. You have one button access to two of the loops; A along with either B or C. You must "swap" between B and C but you then have one button access to the selected loop. There are multiple "slots" where you can save loops A, B, and C as a group. The main issue I've found is that you'll need to pay attention to having the gain balanced when you start your loop.

The manual and more info available here...

http://www.tc-helicon.com/en/products/voicelive-3/support/

greekjgg

I would never use more than 2 or 3 loops per song...so if I created a "patch" in VL3 for vocal/guitar/loop settings I can engage that patch and the loops would be ready to punch in?

Quote from: Vade on October 24, 2015, 11:52:31 AM
Hi greekjgg;

The VoiceLive 3 has three loop tracks and each of them can have multiple layers overdubbed. You have one button access to two of the loops; A along with either B or C. You must "swap" between B and C but you then have one button access to the selected loop. There are multiple "slots" where you can save loops A, B, and C as a group. The main issue I've found is that you'll need to pay attention to having the gain balanced when you start your loop.

The manual and more info available here...

http://www.tc-helicon.com/en/products/voicelive-3/support/
Setup:
Homemade EVH Frankenstrat with built in GK3
GR55
Rocktron Talkbox
TC Helicon Voicetone C1
Tech 21 Power Engine 60

Vade

I'm not sure about that greekjgg. I usually change my loop slots from the looper menu. I did a quick test and tried to associate a loop slot with a patch without success. I found this thread about it but there may have been changes introduced in firmware updates at a date later than the thread.

http://support.tc-helicon.com/entries/40411213-Voicelive-3-STORING-LOOP-PROBLEM

mordecai

FYI - Mac version of the 3rd party editor has been released. A bit late on this info but for those needing it, it's FINALLY HERE!  http://www.voiceliveeditor.com/

Hurricane

Has anyone in the forum got the lastest full featured editor for the VL3(X) for Win 10 ?

Hurricane

admin

latest Firmware for VL3 and VL3X
https://forum.musictribe.com/showthread.php?19359-VoiceLive-3-Update-Available-(366)&s=59e56efba155bfca2f9b374134b09fbe
( from Sept 2017 )
VoiceLive 3 Update Available (366)
We have finally delivered!
If you connect your VoiceLive 3 (Extreme models too) to VoiceSupport 2, you'll see there is an update available. This is the first VL3 update since build 355 in February 2016. Please check out build 366 and let us know what you think.

Build 366 includes the following:

New looper feature!
AudioCue lets you arm a loop to begin recording with your input. Select a volume threshold in the "Looper" menu, arm a loop track for recording, and cue recording the loop when your input is louder than the chosen threshold. When a loop is armed, you can press another loop footswitch to cancel. You can also choose whether AudioCue applies to every loop, or just your first loop! (AudioCue settings are saved with the loop slot, not the preset)

Remastered metronome sounds, improved the behavior logic, and metronome mute/enable is available as a Switch-3/6 target.

DSP improvements to the synth/vocoder.

Added notifications to inform you when the looper is active.

Handful of bug fixes including: missing popup messages, loop trigger settings, external loop control, and overnight MIDI timeout.

Elantric

https://mididesigner.com/qa/5851

MIDI Target Manufacturer(s): TC-Helicon
VOICELIVE 3 HUD Controller 1.0

A new touch interface for TC Helicon Voicelive 3/Extreme users, expanding its usability until a limit never seen before. This is a MIDI template made by Ed_Saxman (although my real name is Eduardo Urbano, from Barcelona, Spain) using the amazing MIDI Designer Pro 2.

Its main function is to serve as a head-up display (HUD). It shows extended information of what you can normally see on the Voicelive 3 screen, without having to bend your neck to look at the ground. When you change the preset on the unit, you will see all the active effects at a glance, on a color touch screen attached to your microphone stand.

You can turn on/off every effect in the VL3, on any layer (voice or guitar), at any time. And now you can switch presets accurately using your hands, taking advantage of the organization by banks.

Apart from your own organization of presets in banks, you will find that each of the two "Global" tabs in the template allows you to select 4 presets, one per bank. This opens up new capabilities: easily switch between presets that are too far apart, choose the next 4 (or 8) presets you are going to use in a song... or you may want to create variations of the same preset, placing one variation in each bank. Up to you! If more than the eight preset selectors provided are needed, you could clone the Global tabs to have even more "quick switching patches" at your disposal.

This first version (1.0) handles all the MIDI CC implementation. Future versions may include extended functionality by using MIDI SysEx.

Please write your comments here and/or on this thread:

https://forum.music-group.com/showthread.php?16953-Voicelive-3-HUD-Controller-for-IOS

Post your pics of your setup if you're using this template!

Idgolfguy

Hello Everyone
If you are experiencing issues with your VoiceLive  - White Screen.

Following are a set of videos of how I made a back up of the SD card in the VL3. I use that and keep the original safe.

This first video is from TC Helicon on how to take get the SD card out:

https://community.musictribe.com/t5/Courses/VoiceLive-3-Voicelive-3-Extreme-Repair-Guide/m-p/262250#M242

The next two videos show the process and boot up for verification. Part 1 is quite long.
The start looks like there's nothing happen, just waiting for my PC to read the card.

Apologies for the lack of production - wanted to get them up in a hurry.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLpuZQym87Dc-m18DmL04VYPwTMizvOxCI

Elantric

Quote from: admin on October 15, 2018, 12:03:32 PM
latest Firmware for VL3 and VL3X
https://forum.musictribe.com/showthread.php?19359-VoiceLive-3-Update-Available-(366)&s=59e56efba155bfca2f9b374134b09fbe
( from Sept 2017 )
VoiceLive 3 Update Available (366)
We have finally delivered!
If you connect your VoiceLive 3 (Extreme models too) to VoiceSupport 2, you'll see there is an update available. This is the first VL3 update since build 355 in February 2016. Please check out build 366 and let us know what you think.

Build 366 includes the following:

New looper feature!
AudioCue lets you arm a loop to begin recording with your input. Select a volume threshold in the "Looper" menu, arm a loop track for recording, and cue recording the loop when your input is louder than the chosen threshold. When a loop is armed, you can press another loop footswitch to cancel. You can also choose whether AudioCue applies to every loop, or just your first loop! (AudioCue settings are saved with the loop slot, not the preset)

Remastered metronome sounds, improved the behavior logic, and metronome mute/enable is available as a Switch-3/6 target.

DSP improvements to the synth/vocoder.

Added notifications to inform you when the looper is active.

Handful of bug fixes including: missing popup messages, loop trigger settings, external loop control, and overnight MIDI timeout.

above appears to be the final firmware for Voicelive 3 Extreme

Does anyone know of any current status?

Elantric

Beirne

Incredible. With all the delicate chip technology built into this, its a mechanical connection that slipped up.
www.intangiblesny.com
www.facebook.com/intangiblesband