Keith McMillen Strong Arm guitar sustainer

Started by thebrushwithin, January 26, 2014, 08:05:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thebrushwithin

New sustainer tech from Keith McMillen looks promising!

No mention of whether it works with a whammy, but I can't think of why it wouldn't.

PD FX

wow! very cool.. this looks actually ideal for fretlessguitar, just dial in some sustain. But we'll have to wait for a real demo, this was just talking.
I've been wondering myself whether it would be possible to do this (sustainer in the bridge), now its clear, its possible. very,very good. E.g: You can build this into an acoustic guitar that is very loud, but has lousy sustain, and you will have both: a long loud tone.

thebrushwithin

Yes, and I like that it is programmable. Keith is quite an innovator, and I love that he continues to advance guitar tech.

Orren Merton

I got a demo of it at NAMM, it looks great! Lots of room to expand with motion sensors, polyphonic sustaining, etc. it isn't expected to be available until Q2, but I'm looking forward to it!

Orren

Macciza

Yep,
Definitely looks like a very interesting package worth keeping a close eye on...
'70s Strat, Brian Moore iM, VG-8, VG-99, FC-300, VL-70m, StringPort, SoftStep, Sentient6, iMac QC i7 27".

GovernorSilver

I'm also quite interested.  I'll be following the development of this product.

Thinking of getting a Reverend Eastsider (Tele-copy) to use with it.

thebrushwithin

@Orren...did you get the impression, this will be a kit, or will they have installation available(i.e. You provide the guitar, and they install it, or........? Did they elaborate? I also wonder if these piezos can double being used as 13 pin triggers, acoustic output, etc. This sounds like exciting technology! I love a polyphonic sustainer, like the Moog, sans the weak magnetic Moog pickups.

Elantric

I saw the same demo - they said they hope to sell this initially as a kit directly to Luthiers no sooner than May 2014 - There are 6 active Piezo saddles, and a Rear Body route for the preamp board and Battery  Looked about the same size as the Rear electronic cover for the Godin Fishman Tripleplay

Orren Merton

To follow up on what Elantric said, there is no official schedule yet to tie this in with any other 13-pin technology. But keep in mind, these are early days, and Keith McMillan Instruments themselves sell the StringPort 13-pin splitter.

My personal guess is that we shouldn't expect the StrongArm kits to be widely available until June or later, and any future "official" 13-pin integration/options will come only after a successful rollout of the StrongArm as demoed. I say "official" because I'm sure there will be enterprising individuals who will play around themselves as soon as the kits are released into the wild.

Orren

Elantric

QuoteKeith McMillan Instruments themselves sell the StringPort 13-pin splitter.

Sadly KMI discontinued all development of the the KMI Stringport in early 2011, and dropped it from the product line soon after.

Relatively high Latency (compared to GR-55)  and requirement for a high power 8 core MacPro computer to make most use of Stringport's features and software were principal hurdles.   

http://www.keithmcmillen.com/stringport/overview

Orren Merton

Quote from: Elantric on January 28, 2014, 02:45:44 PM
Sadly KMI discontinued all development of the the KMI Stringport in early 2011, and dropped it from the product line soon after.

Then I'm guessing it will be up to enterprising individuals to find a way to connect the StrongArm saddles to a 13-pin system, if they so desire.

Orren

thebrushwithin

Thanks guys! I think I will write them about this, cause Keith would be the one to know, if it can be done, and perhaps, if he hasn't considered it already, he may give it some thought, since he is very familiar with the technology. Regardless of 13 pin applications, it really is a welcome innovation, for any guitarist, and avoids the pitfalls(hopefully), of its predecessors. Hopefully, they can be used with a whammy system. Can't wait for this one!

thebrushwithin

Here is an email update I received from Jon Short at KMI :

"Hello Mark. StrongArm will have a USB out with 6 separate channels for connecting to computer. You can control soft synths or process individual audio signals. The sustainer is controller by a knob, so you can turn it up, down, off, or on. The audio comes out the standard 1/4" jack. "

This reply came as a response to my query:
"Will the piezos still produce "acoustic" sound as a normal piezo system, and have a separate output jack? Also, can these same pickups also be tied in to drive 13 pin technology, for guitar synth, etc.?"

So.....

Elantric

"Hello Mark. StrongArm will have a USB out with 6 separate (audio) channels for connecting to computer.

This is a huge bit of new info! Looking forward to this.

Orren Merton

One piece of the system is the custom pickguard that has their LEDs in it. They said they'd probably end up shipping it with the kit. This is a bit distressing to me for two reasons:

• I'm a lefty; are they going to make separate kits for folks like me?
  • What if you want to install the system in a custom guitar with a unique (or no) pickguard?

When I spoke to Owen at NAMM, he said that he was sure they'd have an answer (at least to the lefty issue). So we'll see. There's a lot of time between now and Summer for them to tweak the kit. :)

Orren

thebrushwithin

QuoteQuote
"Hello Mark. StrongArm will have a USB out with 6 separate (audio) channels for connecting to computer.

This is a huge bit of new info! Looking forward to this.

Yes, and knowing this company, I would bet it is 24 bit! Keith usually is spot on about his release dates, so Q2 is not very far away. Could this USB 6 channel out also be capable of wireless transmission? If so, a built in FTP and KMI Strongarm Sustainer, could make a dream combo, and goodbye 13 pin.
Pretty exciting!

thebrushwithin

I just found this info on Synthtopia:

The Keith McMillen Instruments StrongArm Sustainer system comes with six sustainer saddles, smart driver card, rechargeable battery system and editor. StrongArm Sustainer list price is $495.

admin

QuoteYou can control soft synths

I would question this because at NAMM they never said anything about KMI Strongarm Sustainer performing Guitar to MIDI.

Orren Merton

Perhaps he meant use as an audio input for software synthesizers that process audio signals.

Another possibility is that they will be including some software-based pitch-to-MIDI software like Jam Origin as part of the package.

But I agree, from the demo I got I'm certain that there will not be any hardware pitch-to-MIDI as part of this system.

Orren

thebrushwithin

QuoteI would question this because at NAMM they never said anything about KMI Strongarm Sustainer performing Guitar to MIDI.

The reply came from the Vice President of sales, however, there can always be a divide between sales and operations, for sure. Hope it is true!

QuoteAnother possibility is that they will be including some software-based pitch-to-MIDI software like Jam Origin as part of the package.]

It wouldn't surprise me if some of his StringPort software was included. We'll just have to wait till the dust settles.

utensil

Quote from: thebrushwithin on February 04, 2014, 09:53:18 AM
Here is an email update I received from Jon Short at KMI :

"Hello Mark. StrongArm will have a USB out with 6 separate channels for connecting to computer. You can control soft synths or process individual audio signals. The sustainer is controller by a knob, so you can turn it up, down, off, or on. The audio comes out the standard 1/4" jack. "

This reply came as a response to my query:
"Will the piezos still produce "acoustic" sound as a normal piezo system, and have a separate output jack? Also, can these same pickups also be tied in to drive 13 pin technology, for guitar synth, etc.?"

So.....

If this is true and there are 6 separate audio channels on the usb, then I guess it would be safe to assume that one of those wire pairs of each piezo would be carrying the analog audio signal which could be tapped into and plugged into a graphtech or other pre-amp right?

thebrushwithin

thebrushwithin

Really great news for anyone who feared they were only for Telecasters! I feared this as well, as the display guitar was a Tele, and the pictured saddles were also Tele.

On Sat, Feb 8, 2014 at 11:36 AM, Mark <danaroad@bellsouth.net> wrote:

Thanks very much for the info! Will these saddles be available for Stratocaster that employ a trem?

Reply:
"Yes, they are straight replacements for your saddle pieces. It will work with or without trem."
Jonathan Short
Vice President of Sales
Keith McMillen Instruments

GovernorSilver

Quote from: Elantric on January 28, 2014, 02:15:32 PM
I saw the same demo - they said they hope to sell this initially as a kit directly to Luthiers

I guess this kills my idea of picking up the Eastsider T and having the local guitar tech shop install the StrongArm on it.

Other random thoughts:

- Always thought it would be initially made for Fender style guitars - primarily Teles and Strats.
- Polyphonic output via USB sounds promising, especially if StrongArm is class-compliant, which would indeed open up possibilities for some iPad-based hex processing.
- Wonder if the StrongArm saddles are compatible with 2TEK bridges.  Based on this photo, the 2TEK might be Fender style and thus the answer might be yes?

Reason I ask is I've just added a Kauer Acadian to my guitar GAS list - it uses a 2TEK bridge.

thebrushwithin

If the trem you are wanting is using Strat saddles, then, according to these emails, the answer is yes.
Also, if the Eastsider T uses Tele saddles, then there should be no problem using Strong Arm saddles.
My initial choice is maybe a Strat Triple Play, with Strong Arm sustainer added, IF there is room for both.
Both examples of these two products, installed, use the same area of the guitar, in back for the install.
I hope it is doable, for both, using a different routing area for the Strong Arm saddles. However, if it is not possible, I would choose the Strong Arm, since the USB output reportedly sends polyphonic output. This also makes me wonder if the Strong Arm USB out could somehow feed a USB wireless system. If so, then the Triple Play may not be necessary. So many "ifs"!!!! I am just very thankful that it can be used with a Stratocaster Tremelo, as Telecasters do not interest me. I wish it was Summer for more than one reason!