Sonuus G2M / I2M Mono Guitar to MIDI for all guitars

Started by shawnb, February 25, 2013, 02:36:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawnb

Stumbled across this today, quite by accident.  No chords, solo-note only.  But it supports pitch bends.  Guitar and Bass versions available.  No special pickups. 

And, oh yeah, by the way...  IT'S LESS THAN $100! 

It includes a tuner.  For the cost of a tuner, and without borg-ing your guitar, you can have basic synthesis.

Interesting product line.  Versions for Guitar and Bass available.  Their wah pedal looks interesting, too:
http://www.sonuus.com/products.html

The Sweetwater video is kinda lousy, but you get the point:

This is a bit better.  Single-note SAX...

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Elantric

I own the SONUUS I2M version that does Guitar to MIDI and also does ASIO Audio Input.
http://www.sonuus.com/products_i2m_mp.html

Its handy and very small

In January 2013 - they released an IOS Software version of SONUUS G2M under $10
http://www.sonuus.com/news.html#G2M_app_1
http://www.sonuus.com/products_g2m_app.html
The Sonuus G2M - Universal Guitar-to-MIDI Converter app delivers high-performance, low-latency, MIDI conversion for guitar (and other musical instruments). Featuring the same pitch-to-MIDI technology used in Sonuus' acclaimed hardware products, the G2M app gives you an easy, low-cost way to enter the world of MIDI guitar.

In 2009, Sonuus rocked the music world with the launch of the G2M: a low-cost hardware MIDI converter that redefined how guitarists access MIDI instruments. Previously, the only solution was to add special pickups to your guitar, or use a specially-built guitar for MIDI. The G2M made it possible, for the first time, to use any guitar with MIDI, hence it's: "universal".

This G2M app gives you access to the same technology of the Sonuus hardware G2M:

Any electric guitar can be used as a solo MIDI guitar: i.e., it's universal.

No guitar modifications or special pickups required.

Robust note detection — minimises wrong notes.

Velocity detection of notes, so your playing dynamics are translated into MIDI messages.

Fast, accurate pitch-bend determination, or alternative chromatic mode.

Very low latency & very fast tracking.

Built-in, precise tuner.

iPad pitch-bend mode

iPad "flame" tuner

These features combine to do something that no other MIDI converters can do: accurately capture the musicality and phrasing of what you are playing. Whether you want to lay down a MIDI bass line, or a saxophone solo, the G2M ensures the musical nuances of what you play are retained.

In addition, the G2M app:

Has very low CPU usage, so it can run in the background without affecting other music apps.

Can send MIDI to other apps (synths), over Wi-Fi, or to MIDI interfaces connected to the dock connector.

Displays a glorious user-interface showing you the real-time MIDI messages as they are sent.

Supports bass and guitar with a note detection range spanning from E1 (low E on a 4-string bass) to Bb6 (higher than a 24 fret guitar can play).

Wireless MIDI Guitar: you can send MIDI over WiFi with very low latency.

Comprehensive help

The app features extensive built-in help to describe all the features and help you troubleshoot any problems you are having. So if you have any problems, that's the first place to look!
Compatibility

To use the G2M app, you can use the built-in microphone but you get much better results by using an adapter that lets you connect your guitar directly to your iPhone, iPod or iPod Touch. For example, the i-ROCK adapter lets you connect your guitar to the mic/headset input. It will also work with any audio device that is supported by iOS.

In addition, the G2M app can send MIDI out of your iOS device via any MIDI interface supported by iOS that uses CoreMIDI.

The G2M app works with all iOS devices with OS4.2 and above: from the iPod Touch 2nd Gen to the latest iPhone and iPad.

"The MIDI solution that doesn't need special pickups, and actually works!"
Notes

Note1: the G2M is monophonic, meaning it will only process single notes, not chords.

Note2: when a guitar is connected to the microphone input, the lowest guitar notes (below A2) may not be processed correctly because most devices have a high-pass filter on this input which rejects the low notes. To avoid this and access the full range of playable notes, you can use an audio input device that connects to the dock connector instead.

Note3: the G2M™ doesn't include its own MIDI sounds, you must use a suitable MIDI synthesizer, sound module or your computer to record or to hear the MIDI output.

Specifications

iOS devices:
All iOS devices with iOS4.2 and above. This includes the iPod Touch 2nd Gen, and all newer iPod Touches, iPhones and iPads.

Tuner notes:    
Chromatic

Tuner accuracy:    
<1 cent (central region shows ±1 cent)

Note detection range:
E1 to Bb6

MIDI latency:
5ms (E6) to 19ms (E2)

Additional audio latency:
6ms (low-latency mode on), 12ms (low-latency mode off).

Pitch bend:
<1 cent accuracy | ±1, ±2, or ±5 semitones range
None if chromatic (OFF) mode enabled

Supported apps
Any iOS app that supports Core MIDI

Supported audio hardware
Any supported by iOS

Supported MIDI hardware:    
Any supported by iOS that uses Core MIDI

WiFi Network:
Use AudioMIDISetup in OSX | rtpMIDI in Windows (or similar)

Price:
USD 9.99, GBP 6.99

[/i]

mbenigni

Quote from: Elantric on February 25, 2013, 02:48:15 PM
I own the SONUUS I2M version that does Guitar to MIDI and also does ASIO Audio Input.

I'm actually interested in this product (or something similar) for the portable ASIO Audio conversion from instrument level.  Problem is, in Windows, I'm not sure how to handle audio output, since ASIO has historically been fussy about supporting multiple devices/drivers.  How are you handling this, or is this something that is better accomodated by MacOS?

Are you familiar with any similar products that also incorporate low-latency ASIO output, e.g. a stereo 1/8" output?  I've seen products like the Stealth Plug and LightSnake, but they all have terrible reputations, and they all place the 1/8" output at the guitar end of the cable, which is completely backwards IMO.  (Who wouldn't prefer routing extra cables from their PC to the PA, vs. hanging them off their guitar?)

mbenigni

QuoteIf you "just run ASIO4ALL" then you can use the USB I/O of the RC-300 at the same time as the ins and outs of any other audio interfaces you may have connected. And most likely with lower latency.

LOL just found this in an unrelated thread (re: RC300 as Audio Interface).  Probably answers about half my question(s) above.

mbenigni

Quote from:  Elantric
A special I2M ASIO driver (only supported on Windows operating systems) is available to provide low latency audio and features the unique ability to use any other audio device (even other ASIO devices) as the output audio device so you can hear everything you do in real time.

Fantastic.  Thank you!

shawnb

Crosspost with Elantric...   I was just writing to say not to use ASIO4ALL...   

All ASIO4ALL does is make WDM act kinda like ASIO.  Under the covers, it's actually WDM.  I'd suggest you remove a layer of processing & just use another driver that is sharable.   On Windows, I would experiment with whatever drivers are available - WASAPI drivers or maybe even the WDM driver. 

ASIO4ALL is very, very cool.  A great idea that helped solve a problem - the author owned a product that didn't have a compatible driver for XP, so he was forced to emulate ASIO given just a WDM driver.   But folks think they're running ASIO but they're not.

http://tippach.business.t-online.de/asio4all/intro.html
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

GovernorSilver

Here's an iPad app that does polyphonic guitar-MIDI conversion - play chords on your guitar, get MIDI chord output:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/midi-guitar/id523095780?mt=8

The developer (Jam Origin) also has Windows and Mac OS versions of this app out for beta testing:
http://www.jamorigin.com/

Elantric

SLICK

I had gr55 (purchased when they were released using the excellent vguitar group buy) but recently sold it and a pair of 300w active speakera for a bunch of separate stomps and a sonuus G2M.
My signal chain is:
Guitar to A,B/Y
A chain goes to the pedals then on to a tascam iU2
B chain goes to the sonuus into an fcb1010 and on to the iU2 midi in
The iU2 goes to an iPad 3 and outputs to my Laney LC-30II

The iPad runs audiobus, Magellan and loopy

It's a pretty flexable setup.

I would say that the g2m isn't as fast or accurate as the gr but I get fewer glitches.
Parker fly deluxe,
Roland GR-55,
Laney LC30II

ainsoph

Hi !  i have recorded sax improvisation with latest firmware for Sonuus i2m , works WAY BETTER than mono midi of Boss GP -10 ! Listen to my mp3 :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ofgeouozt9ew1i7/Impro%20Sax%20Midi%20Guitar.mp3?dl=1

((The latest i2M musicport firmware, Version 1.4.0 / several notable improvements to the MIDI tracking /
Pitch-bend tracking of low notes is 2x faster.
More robust when more than one string is played at a time, resulting in more stable
notes and fewer glitches.
Improved dynamics (note-on velocity and breath-controller messages). ))

Elantric

I love my Sonuus I2M - it has a good transparent analog preamp - only wish it was 24 bits when used as a an audio interface.

It works with my iPad  / iPhone too

But Sonuus has extended the I2M capabilities with firmware updates

ainsoph

Quote from: Elantric on October 29, 2015, 05:52:09 AM
But Sonuus has extended the I2M capabilities with firmware updates

Yes latest update really "connects" so well with the solo VST instruments ! :)

Lzybdha

After reading through this thread (on 1/3/2016) I joined the Sonuus forum and asked if there was any plans for a 24 bit version.  Almost instantly a got a reply:

"We are currently working on a 24-bit product that will be available later this year. I can't say much more at this stage, but we'll be showing it at The NAMM Show 2016 later this month, after which we can talk more about this!"

So, hopefully there will be some exciting news soon on this.  From the great endorsements here I'm looking forward to checking one out.
I don't even know how to spell noob

Shanti

The I2M also works well on Android  & very well with wind instruments..I use for my sax/flutes  to play guitar riffs ;) at times
latest FW is really needed though for best performance I find
Variax 300,Roland GI20,Roland XV202,Yamaha VL70m(Patcham) Akai EWI 4000s,Roland GK3,Sonuus I2M,Fisham FTP,Iconnect IMIDI4+,Kontakt 5
Sax & flutes as well--main instr.

Elantric

Last month we were at The NAMM Show. If you don't know about NAMM, it's a huge show. More than 100,000 visitiors go to California for the biggest and best show in the music industry. We had lots of exciting things going on (read more below). First, here's a short video I made to give you a tour of our stand at the show.

Sonuus NAMM Stand

A new G2M (Version 3)
We have just launched the G2M version 3. It replaces the G2M version 2 AND the B2M. We have made many upgrades and improvements - many of them in response to your feedback. We have tweaked and improved the note detection and the tracking, we have replaced the PP3 battery with the option to use either a single AA or a standard 9V DC power supply, and we have introduced a set of dip switches inside the battery compartment that let you configure your instrument (guitar, 4-string bass, 5-string bass or voice/instrument) and your MIDI set up. All this and we have kept the price the same!

The new G2M V3

If you would like to own one of the first G2M V3s, we have a small number of pre-production units that we are selling at the reduced price of only £48. These units have a fault with the 4-string bass option. In every other way they work perfectly using the guitar, 5-string bass and voice settings. To use with a 4-string bass, either the 5-string bass (the setting used by the B2M) or the voice option will work well, just not quite as optimally as the missing 4-string bass option. These units are a bargain and come with a guarantee of full support and the high quality you expect of us. This is an unmissable offer - visit SonuusDirect to place your order, we don't think they'll hang around for long.

X2M musicport
We also launched new products that are coming later in the year. The X2M musicport - an ultra-compact Hi-Z USB audio interface, with 2 in + 2 out + headphone amplifier, 24-bit, 96 kHz processing and 2x ultra-fast low-latency MIDI conversion

Loopa microphone
We are really excited to tell you about the Loopa. It is the world's first looper microphone and we had a blast with it at NAMM as you can see here.

It is a high-spec condenser cardioid microphone with 5 minutes loop time, unlimited overdubbing on playback with multi-level undo and redo. We are aiming for production in April/May and we'll be launching on Kickstarter next month. We'd love to hear what you think about the Loopa - send us a tweet or a facebook message - and we'd be truly honoured if you support our Kickstarter campaign. We'll keep you updated as the time gets nearer.

James

Elantric

The new G2M version 3, or "G2M V3" for short, replaces the G2M version 2 AND the B2M.

We have made many upgrades and improvements - many of them in response to your feedback. We have tweaked and improved the note detection and the tracking, we have replaced the PP3 battery with the option to use either a single AA or a standard 9V DC power supply, and we have introduced a set of DIP switches inside the battery compartment that let you configure your instrument (guitar, 4-string bass, 5-string bass or voice/instrument) and your MIDI set up.

All this and we have kept the price the same!

What's it like?
Vernon Reid (Living Colour) said: "I recently used the latest version of the G2M module-wow the tracking is GREATLY improved"

Dan Lawson (Dan Lawson Band, G2M user since 2009) said: "The new version of the G2M is by far your best!! It sounds and reacts perfectly!! The changes made the difference!! I use it for everything!!"

Where to get it?
Only £59 inc VAT and UK shipping.

You can buy from our UK web store. Or check with your local retailers (our distributors in the USA, Canada, Germany, Switzerland and Japan have now received these).

MIDI Breakout Cable?
The G2MV3 can receive MIDI controllers (volume, hold, sustain) to give you more control over your performance. This uses a special breakout cable (as shown in the above video). Unfortunately, we don't have these yet, but we expect to have them soon.
James

http://www.sonuus.com/products_g2m.html

vtgearhead

At $79, that Sonuus device looks like a real winner.  Any VGuitar regulars have one?

admin

I love my Sonuus i2M
Latest Voluum features in 1.5.01 (Major Update):
Setlist - take control of your live performance.
Significant enhancemennts to MIDI functionality (send MIDI Clock, LFOs can send MIDI etc).
Updates to LFO and Volume effects.
Latest Wahoo features in 1.5.00 (Major Update):
Setlist - take control of your live performance.
Latest i2M musicport improvements in 1.4.00 (Major Update):
More robust when more than one string is played at a time, resulting in more stable
Improved dynamics (note-on velocity and breath-controller messages).
(owned since 2013)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7998.msg56813#msg56813

i2M Manual
http://www.sonuus.com/downloads/sonuus-i2M-musicport-Editor.pdf

i2M MIDI Implementation
http://www.sonuus.com/downloads/sonuus-i2M-musicport-MIDIChart.pdf

http://www.sonuus.com/products_i2m_mp.html

its mono only  - but has a great low noise preamp and works as a 16 bit USB Class Compliant Audio Input interface - for older ipads  / iphones 

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7998.msg118250#msg118250
Ainsoph likes his to:
QuoteHi !  i have recorded sax improvisation with latest firmware for Sonuus i2m , works WAY BETTER than mono midi of Boss GP -10 ! Listen to my mp3 :

((The latest i2M musicport firmware, Version 1.4.0 / several notable improvements to the MIDI tracking /
Improved dynamics (note-on velocity and breath-controller messages). ))

vtgearhead

I would need the G2M model to drive a GR-33, correct?  Or, is that not recommended as a synth for this box?

admin

Quote from: vtgearhead on January 11, 2019, 02:17:46 PM
I would need the G2M model to drive a GR-33, correct?  Or, is that not recommended as a synth for this box?

G2M  works for any MIDI Tone module / Keyboard with a 5 pin MIDI Input -

But remember  -only one note at time ( no chords)

BROCKSTAR

So few years back I had a G2M ver 2 I think but at that time I didn't have any real hardware synths like I do now and just used it to control vsti's etc... before I got jam origin midi guitar 2 which is awesome.

Fast forward to last night I decided to get the G2M version 3 and give it a try with my 10 hardware synths I now own. (behringer deepmind 12D, crave, model D, k2, PRO-1, alesis micron, arturia microfreak, preenfm2, waldorf blofeld and ZOIA). I hope it's awesome and it seems as simple as just plugging into it and out into a hardware synth and controlling anything with monophonic playing. Should have it in a few days. I ask myself sometimes why... why do I mess with hardware synths and now this unit when it comes when I have jam origin. Nothing wrong with jam origin, I just hate when sometimes my computer lags with certain vsti's and makes farting noises because it doesn't have the power sometimes and of course i wanna plug into my hardware synths with ease!

CodeSmart

Quote from: BROCKSTAR on January 07, 2020, 05:46:21 AM
So few years back I had a G2M ver 2 I think but at that time I didn't have any real hardware synths like I do now and just used it to control vsti's etc... before I got jam origin midi guitar 2 which is awesome.

Fast forward to last night I decided to get the G2M version 3 and give it a try with my 10 hardware synths I now own. (behringer deepmind 12D, crave, model D, k2, PRO-1, alesis micron, arturia microfreak, preenfm2, waldorf blofeld and ZOIA). I hope it's awesome and it seems as simple as just plugging into it and out into a hardware synth and controlling anything with monophonic playing. Should have it in a few days. I ask myself sometimes why... why do I mess with hardware synths and now this unit when it comes when I have jam origin. Nothing wrong with jam origin, I just hate when sometimes my computer lags with certain vsti's and makes farting noises because it doesn't have the power sometimes and of course i wanna plug into my hardware synths with ease!
That's why Jam Origin is missing a large business potential because they do not offer a dedicated, reliable, stage ready hardware unit around their product. If they don't want to sell hardware they should team up with a trusted partner that has that kind of production and distribution network and enjoy the royalty.
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

BROCKSTAR

Quote from: CodeSmart on January 07, 2020, 10:35:53 PM
That's why Jam Origin is missing a large business potential because they do not offer a dedicated, reliable, stage ready hardware unit around their product. If they don't want to sell hardware they should team up with a trusted partner that has that kind of production and distribution network and enjoy the royalty.

Yes! I would love jam origin in a little box like the sonuus is. I'm not sure why it hasn't been done yet with them!

DreamTheory

I owned a G2M it works for slow to moderate one note at a time playing. Latency a little bit sluggish sometimes but not prohibitive. Goof notes, tracking imperfect. But it does work. I used it to control a Yamaha synthesizer. It was my gateway to GR-55, which is way way better.
electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008

BROCKSTAR

Quote from: Dream_Theory on January 10, 2020, 02:29:42 AM
I owned a G2M it works for slow to moderate one note at a time playing. Latency a little bit sluggish sometimes but not prohibitive. Goof notes, tracking imperfect. But it does work. I used it to control a Yamaha synthesizer. It was my gateway to GR-55, which is way way better.

Have you tried the newest version 3? People say it's fast. Mine should be here today so then I'm going to put it through the test to check =)