Fractal Axe-FX II

Started by Virtual Tone, February 21, 2008, 11:33:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

s0c9

Bill,
thanks for chiming in. I highly respect what you have been able to do with the VG99.  I'm not a pro musician and often wish I had the background/experience that you have that would help me produce what I want from the VG99.  After 2yrs - I don't, so while I don't plan to get rid of it, will be focusing on the AFX for a while.

Bill Ruppert

s0c9 (I think its Steve),

The most important thing of all is to find what works for you!
Who cares what brand or what box or how you do it.
in the end it make NO difference.
To a listeners ears it does not matter!

It all comes down to making music and the more music we make that is closer to what we hear in our heads the better life gets!
We are SO lucky we play guitar!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill

Quote from:  s0c9 on May 19, 2010, 06:18:16 PM
Bill,
thanks for chiming in. I highly respect what you have been able to do with the VG99.  I'm not a pro musician and often wish I had the background/experience that you have that would help me produce what I want from the VG99.  After 2yrs - I don't, so while I don't plan to get rid of it, will be focusing on the AFX for a while.

A2theT

Well, I don't have any money for the Axe-Fx at this point but hopefully I will in the future.  I'm going to use Bill's comments above to work harder on my VG.
I've just invested in a GK-Kit which I plan on installing in my RG5EX1.   I will be envious of s0c9 unitl I get one of these units though.  Aside from the VG, I once spent $2000 on a Digitech GSP-2101 and the dedicated foot controller + the upgrade to the Artist version with the additional SDISC.  So, if I did it once, I could probably do it again...... lol.
HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

s0c9

Quote from: Bill Ruppert on May 19, 2010, 06:51:13 PM
s0c9 (I think its Steve),

The most important thing of all is to find what works for you!
Who cares what brand or what box or how you do it.
in the end it make NO difference.
To a listeners ears it does not matter!

It all comes down to making music and the more music we make that is closer to what we hear in our heads the better life gets!
We are SO lucky we play guitar!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill

Yes, its Steve... you are absolutely right.
if it wasn't for playing guitar - I'd be a grumpy old man !
Just wish I'd started playing when I was 14, and not 40 !!

aliensporebomb

I just look at all the tools we musicians have today compared to say, 1950.

We can have recording studios in our homes that rival the sounds of big pro studio gear
We can have guitar technology that nobody could have dreamed of 40 years ago
We can distribute our music electronically to the four corners of the globe and have a much bigger listenership than previously dreamed.

And this is now, just imagine in 40 years (if we're still around of course!)
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

guitarswithwings

aliensporebomb

They're talking about the AxeFX Ultra.  It's a rackmounted guitar super effector.  They have a lot of marketing in the big guitar magazines.

It does some stuff the VG-99 doesn't do, but then again the VG-99 does a bunch of things that the AxeFX can't do as well.

Bill Ruppert on this system had an AxeFX but sold it to get another VG-99. 

I still am waiting to hear of the day Bill hooks both of his up together.  I think it could be stellar.

A2theT

Three big names currently wielding an Axe-Fx are Steve Vai, John Petrucci, and most recently Chris Broderick from Megadeth.  Check out Chris's craziness here: 
HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

s0c9

Quote from: A to the T on May 21, 2010, 06:53:03 PM
Three big names currently wielding an Axe-Fx are Steve Vai, John Petrucci, and most recently Chris Broderick from Megadeth.  Check out Chris's craziness here: 

You can also add:

• Steve Stevens
  • Dweezil Zappa
  • Neal Schon
  • Hadley Hockensmith [Radley] - Neil Diamonds Guitar player
  • Lincoln Brewster
  • Pete Thorn
  • Marty Friedman and
  • Tommy Shaw [Styx]
to that list..  go here for more
http://www.fractalaudio.com/artist.html

Dang.. I'm lovin' the AXE.  Not detracting from the VG99, but should have done this ages ago.

feloniouspunk

lets hear some samples!
Lots of Gear. :)

s0c9

Quote from:  feloniouspunk on May 22, 2010, 08:52:10 AM
lets hear some samples!

Since you asked...there's audio/video here.
http://www.fractalaudio.com/experience.html

However, as I mentioned in my OP.. this [for me anyway] isn't ALL about how it sounds. I can get similar tones [albeit not quite as easily IMHO] from the VG-99. For me its about playability - volume control, pick dynamics, etc.  YMMV
Turning up the volume on the VG99 does not let me go from clean to grit/drive. It's linear.
Playing softer does not get the same level of dynamics..  

Look, this thread is NOT intended to demonize the VG-99. I've owned one for 2 yrs.. Have no intentions of parting with it. It is hands down the most versatile device I own. Merely trying to state [explore? share?] reasons why I switched, and to compare the two devices - based on my experience.  Definitely NOT trying to sell anything.. or suggesting that " VG99 is BAD!!, AxeFX GOOD !! ".
Bill Ruppert said he tried the Axe, stuck with the VG99. TWO now :)
I totally see where that makes sense for him, given what he's able to do with it. I'm not even close to being in his league, so my needs differ.

aliensporebomb

Don't forget that Adrian Belew has both a VG-99 and an AxeFX. 

I say the more tools the better.

s0c9

Quote from:  aliensporebomb on May 22, 2010, 04:45:42 PM
Don't forget that Adrian Belew has both a VG-99 and an AxeFX. 

I say the more tools the better.
Agreed.
The plan is (once I setup the AxeFX) -- to integrate the VG99 back into my live rig, making use of COSM guitar models, acoustics and alternate tunings thru the amps/cabs/effects of the AxeFX. 
I have no use for most of the synth or bass stuff to be honest.

I'm just amazed at how much TIME [and $$] this all takes to put together  !
When I [wax philosophical and] look back at how much $$ I've spent on gear over the last 10 years... I could probably be living on a ranch in Montana [slight exageration] LOL. It's a good thing I make a little money gigging, 'cus otherwise !

paults

I was going to use the VG with my Marshall that way, but ended up with a sound that leaves the Marshall at home. When I use analog guitar into the VG, I get that "clean to mean" dynamic range, with no problem.  But, I'm playing it through a Bose L1, almost as loud as a 50 watt Marshall halfstack. So, that kind of dynamic range can be reproduced by my system. The COSM guitars will do that to less of a degree, a long a you program the knob to be GK volume, instead of Patch Level.

aliensporebomb

I listened to some examples and now I want one.  Wah! 

I wonder if I could have a hybrid 3-axis setup?  I'd need a bigger audio mixer to play live!

aliensporebomb

Quote from:  paults on May 23, 2010, 08:42:31 PM
I was going to use the VG with my Marshall that way, but ended up with a sound that leaves the Marshall at home. When I use analog guitar into the VG, I get that "clean to mean" dynamic range, with no problem.  But, I'm playing it through a Bose L1, almost as loud as a 50 watt Marshall halfstack. So, that kind of dynamic range can be reproduced by my system. The COSM guitars will do that to less of a degree, a long a you program the knob to be GK volume, instead of Patch Level.

Paul - you mean to say when you play live you're basically using VG99->Bose L1 (the patch you uploaded a while back) sans
COSM guitars?  It does sound good but that's interesting.  GK Volume instead of Patch Level.  I suppose Patch Level would
be more like the volume control on a synthesizer rather than the volume on a tube amp - a similar but totally different process.

paults

Quote from:  aliensporebomb on May 25, 2010, 12:06:12 PM
Paul - you mean to say when you play live you're basically using VG99->Bose L1 (the patch you uploaded a while back) sans
COSM guitars?  It does sound good but that's interesting.  GK Volume instead of Patch Level.  I suppose Patch Level would
be more like the volume control on a synthesizer rather than the volume on a tube amp - a similar but totally different process.

If you set your GK knob to Patch Level with a COSM guitar to amp sound, the only dynamic range you can get is from how hard you hit the strings.  Your GK knob is just turning up the output of the VG - like the sound guy does in the PA. Your guitar is always at a fixed level into the amplifier.  If you use GK level instead, then the COSM guitar volume is controlled like the volume on a regular guitar - turn it down, and the amp model gets cleaner.  Set the amp gain with the GK volume up all the way, and turn the GK down when you aren't playing a solo.  It will be more responsive to playing dynamics with patches that have less than ultra-high gain.             

I'm using a patch very similar to the "Jubilee" patch I posted, primarily with the analog pickups on the guitars for my main gain sound.  The regular guitar knob controls the analog output, and the GK knob controls a the GK volume of the COSM guitar. A slightly lighter version of the patch has a strat and a tele, the main patch has a les paul.  I also do the same thing with clean patches - if I'm playing my old G-707, I'll use a COSM strat instead of the analog humbuckers when I'm playing something that I want to be sparkly.

As an aside, the complete signal flow is analog guitar into the input of a TC Electronic G-System, with the VG-99 in the preamp insert of the G-System.  The G-System send goes to the back input of the VG, and the VG output goes into the G-System return.  I'm using the VG as an analog/COSM guitar mixer and modeling preamp, and the G-System is doing all the time-based effects.  I already had the effects programmed for use with the Marshall's input and FX loop, so putting the VG there instead just required some MIDI Program mapping. The G-System is my controller, too.  It can send tap tempo, program changes, and pedal and switch CC# changes to the VG.           

s0c9

Quote from:  paults on May 25, 2010, 08:43:00 PMIf you set your GK knob to Patch Level with a COSM guitar to amp sound, the only dynamic range you can get is from how hard you hit the strings.  Your GK knob is just turning up the output of the VG - like the sound guy does in the PA. Your guitar is always at a fixed level into the amplifier.  If you use GK level instead, then the COSM guitar volume is controlled like the volume on a regular guitar - turn it down, and the amp model gets cleaner.  Set the amp gain with the GK volume up all the way, and turn the GK down when you aren't playing a solo.  It will be more responsive to playing dynamics with patches that have less than ultra-high gain. 
Have not played my VG99 in months... need to start experimenting with this approach and also try more of the COSM guitar modeling into the Axe...

Now_And_Then

http://www.fractalaudio.com/products-fas-axe-fx-ii-2.html

(Sorry if this has already been brought up on one of this site's
numerous forums or subforums.)

webe123

Quote from:  Now_And_Then on May 08, 2011, 08:40:06 PM
http://www.fractalaudio.com/products-fas-axe-fx-ii-2.html

(Sorry if this has already been brought up on one of this site's
numerous forums or subforums.)

I do not know, the axe fx 2 has JUST COME OUT!

paults

The first thing that comes to my mind is:

Maybe the price of used standard version one units will start to come down, and I'll be tempted to redo my live rig one more time ;)

Now_And_Then

I had been toying with the idea of getting an AXE-FX Ultra, but was very hesitant because of the possibility that I would buy it and it would soon thereafter be discontinued and superseded by a newer and more capable model.

Once again, procrastination saves the day... and a considerable sum of money!

A2theT

Yes my thoughts are this:  Wish I was a millionaire and I'd buy one as I'm a gearhead.  However, the VG-99 I have is more bang for the buck and like Bill has mentioned before, he can get any sound out of the VG.  You can pick up a B-stock Ultra for $1799 which is still $799 too much IMO.  Would still love to have an Axe-Fx product though.  Maybe someday....
HEAVY on the METAL

clearlight

I have a thought.
How could the biggest name in music products not have come out with an update for the vg99 yet....

Mr. Pissypants Complainsalot out.....
My Music
My Band Website
GUITARS: 2x RG1521, 3x RG321 w/gk, Rg721 Fretless Modified, AmStd FatStrat w/gk, various others....
XV5050,Triton etc..
KOMPLETE 7
VGUITAR Stuff: VG99, FC300, RC5-

aliensporebomb

I wonder how many AxeFX have been sold versus VG-99?  I'd say more AxeFX since you don't need a hexaphonic pickup to drive it.

However, I'm pretty sure you can't create a lot of the VG sounds on the AxeFX.

I would like to hear demos of what this thing sounds like personally.

And yes, it would be nice to get a VG-99 EX update or something.

Frankly there's a few things the VG-99 does that nothing else does so that's where my head is at.