GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

Elantric

QuoteWhoa! This is so so so so so cool! Are you happy with your amp but you'd like to have hugely flexible effects – like perhaps you want something that does 'four cable method (4CM),' allowing you to use different effects in your amp's front end and effects loop from the same unit simultaneously? Well Fractal Audio, makers of the already-legendary Axe-FX series, have just dropped an awesome-bomb over at their forum under the heading 'Coming Soon': the FX8. No amp models, just effects, designed to be used in 4CM setups. According to the the Fractal forum admin, "Just effects. Specifically designed for 4CM with dedicated pre- and post- paths. Up to 8 simultaneous effects. Any number assignable pre/post. Any combination of series or parallel routing. Two expression pedal inputs, four relay outputs. USB for remote editing with free FX8-Edit software. Silent Switch technology from the MFC Mark III. True Bypass. Etc., etc. Don't drop it on your foot." Thanks to Guitar Noize for the heads-up. - See more at: http://iheartguitarblog.com/2014/06/fractal-audio-to-release-fx-unit.html#sthash.ynZji7VW.dpuf

My 2 cents - it remains to be seen if the Fractal FX8 is any  improvement over this
http://line6.com/m13/

http://line6.com/m13/specs.html

thebrushwithin

Many KPA users, including myself, have asked for a profiler player only version of the yet to be released
KPA foot controller. So, I suspect AXE has decided this to be a good thing, and I also believe Kemper has delayed their midi foot controller, because they are also pursuing this type of foot controller. At least I really hope so!

merman93

I rarely use the profiling myself, as there are sooo many great profiles available. I think  Kemper responded that removing the profiling capabilities wouldn't really save any money.

I had the opportunity to use a Fractal for a few days, and it really didn't change my opinion that the Kemper Amp tones are more realistic than the ones on the Axe fx. However, the ones on the Fractal are very, VERY cool and have their place, but, to me, the KPA sounds and feels like the profiled amp, good, bad, or ugly, it is faithful. The Fractal sometimes was better than the modeled amp,(?) or at least not as dynamic, and reactive.

I don't know how to explain why I'm not impressed with the Kempers effects. They just don't do it for me. I've always been a pedal guy, so I just run my pedals before going into the input, except for my delay which I put in the loop. But, when I had the Axe fx for a few days, I was blown away with the effects section. The Univibe felt so good, and the delays had more warmth than the Kempers.

I think finding out the actual street price will determine if this will end up on my board.

Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Fender Deluxe Players Strat (GK KIT)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
Hamer Phantom A7 (24 pin)
BX 13 (24 -13 pin converter)
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

drbill

Price & usefulness as a MIDI controller will determine my level of interest.
GP-10, KPA
BM i2.13p, '76 Les Paul Deluxe w/GK-3, MiM RRS, Ibanez RG420GK, Charvel strat copy w/GK-2a, FTP

mbenigni

QuoteMany KPA users, including myself, have asked for a profiler player only version of the yet to be released
KPA foot controller. So, I suspect AXE has decided this to be a good thing

Not quite the same thing, though, as the announced Axe product is effects only - no amp or cab modeling.

QuotePrice & usefulness as a MIDI controller will determine my level of interest.

Ditto.

whippinpost91850

As a Kemper user , even though I have only profiled a few of my Enater IE4 chanels, I'm not sure the probable difference in price would make it worthwhile to me to eliminate that feature.
But have to amit I am intrigued at only having to connect a pedal version to my CLR at a gig ???

Mrchevy

Just some news I found yesterday that I thought some might be interested in. It's an "effects only" Floor unit, ( no amp/cab modeling) and looks to be geared towards 4CM use for amp effects. Here's the thread at Fractal for the info. http://forum.fractalaudio.com/fx8-discussion/91183-fx8-update.html . It looks like it will be around $1,400. I'd like to try one out but at almost 3 times the price of the GT100, I'm not sure i'd bite since the GT100 effects are very good themselves. Will definitely be waiting for demo's and reviews to start flowing once it is shipped ( estimated Q4 of 2014) Have fun "gas'ser's.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

aliensporebomb

Very expensive for what it is.  The Fractal name insures lots of well heeled players will buy it. 
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

vablows

I bought the Line 6 M13 to to use hoping it would solve my effects needs a few years ago (before my KPA) and it was utter crap IMHO.
Such a digital, thin tone to it.
It went back the next day.

I am awaiting hopefully a KPA all-in-one floor unit as well, not sure if it will happen but it would need to be extremely heavy duty as well.

Mrchevy

I see it as having more overall function and better effects than the M13 for sure. Against the GT100 however, both have very similar options and functions. The FX8 will likely have effects updates on occasion and apparently a more useable looper but, again, at 2/3's the price you can get a GT100 AND an RC300 or Boomerang III. Will the signal quality and FX quality of the FX8 be better than that of Boss. Maybe. But would it be a major jump, or really noticed in a mix. I can't say because in all fairness, I've never had the opportunity to tinker or use an AxeFx unit. I don't pooh pooh them AT ALL as I,ve heard many demos of them and would love to have one. My point would be, I've heard some awesome recordings of guitars in a mix done with small, cheap practice amps worth maybe $20 bucks. I've also heard incredible recordings of a GOOD engineer done on a 4 track that blew away recordings by inexperienced engineers done in a top notch studio. The question I ask...... at what point do you cross over the line between quality and value, to frivolous indulgence. I suspect somewhere between  the GT100 and the FX8 (or AxeFx). Would I buy an AxeFx or FX8, hell yea! Would I sell my GT100 and Boomerang III at a loss to help fund buying one, hell no! Do i want one, yes. Will I get one, no. Do I need one, no......Boss wins, 3 to 2. Oh well  :'( sucks being sensible.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

scratch17

Here's my take.

FX-8 Pro's:

• Great effects (according to most reviewers)
  • Four cable method
  • Integrated editor
  • Sets up really well for live use

FX-8 Con's:

• Only expandable through firmware
  • You can't integrate other effects easily
  • Probably quite limited as a MIDI controller for other hardware
  • Expensive

Here is the bottom line (from my perspective).

My rig now includes a KPA ;D. I can see how the FX-8 would integrate well with it. I considered buying a Fractal Axe FX-II before I purchased the KPA. I listened to others on this and other forums, and recognized that most owners liked the FX-II's effects better than those built into the KPA.

I chose the KPA because I knew that it would provide me with the best non effected amp tones.

Having made the choice, I have a large investment in the KPA. I still need to buy a controller for it. So I can't see spending $1400 on a multi-effects floor unit that won't also be easily set up to control my KPA.

I'm leaning towards purchasing an RJM Mastermind GT10 to control my KPA. Yes, it's a almost as expensive as an FX-8, and it has no effects. And I am aware of Elantric's misgivings about the brightness of the Mastermind GT display. I'm creating this rig primarily for studio use, so the display brightness is less of an issue for me.

However, the Mastermind GT is instantly set up to intimately control the KPA. It will also control my Strymon (Mobius, Big Sky and Timeline) pedals. I love its flexibility and the editor which makes for easy setup.

Hamer Duotone, Brian Moore i213, Taylor 710 BCE 

VG-99, FC-300, RMC Fanout
RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
68 Fender Bandmaster (AB763)
Marshal AS80R

UA Apollo X6, Twin X, Logic Pro, Luna, Melodyne Studio

Jim Williams

Get a G system.... they are most likely the best effects and it is a little cheaper.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

GuitarBuilder

Quote from: scratch17 on October 07, 2014, 12:16:18 PM
I'm leaning towards purchasing an RJM Mastermind GT10 to control my KPA. Yes, it's a almost as expensive as an FX-8, and it has no effects. And I am aware of Elantric's misgivings about the brightness of the Mastermind GT display. I'm creating this rig primarily for studio use, so the display brightness is less of an issue for me.

However, the Mastermind GT is instantly set up to intimately control the KPA. It will also control my Strymon (Mobius, Big Sky and Timeline) pedals. I love its flexibility and the editor which makes for easy setup.

Nothing wrong with the Mastermind GT other than the stratospheric price.  For about $1,300 less, you can have the Rocktron MIDI Raider, with equally impressive features:

"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

ZenSonic

I wonder if Line 6 plans to update the M13 soon? I would consider it if it sounded good as I like the lay out.

ZenSonic

From the Fractal-Audio site:

The FX8 is a new multi-effects pedalboard designed to deliver Fractal's signature quality without compromise in an effects-only floor unit. FX8 runs up to eight simultaneous effects using the state-of-the-art algorithms made famous in the Axe-Fx II line of processors. It features a rugged steel chassis with aircraft aluminum end-panels, convenient top handle, eleven quiet, durable solid state footswitches with no mechanical contacts to fail, 27 LEDs in three colors, five knobs beneath a bright display, Humbuster™ outputs to eliminate hum due to ground loops (when used with Humbuster™ cables), dual TRS relays for amp switching, two switch/expression pedal jacks, USB, MIDI and more. The unit is designed for unity gain and offers true bypass. Above all, it features an extremely high quality signal path to deliver ultra-low noise and pristine sound quality. In other words, "no tone suck!"

Onboard preset memories let you create 128 totally different pedalboards. Every effect in every preset can be run in series or parallel. Using the optional "four cable" setup, you can place each effect "PRE" (between guitar and amp, where pedals go) or "POST" (in the amp's send/return loop, where rack effects are typically placed).

Use Stompbox Mode on the FX8 for traditional effect "tap dance" switching, or leverage the eight SCENES in each preset to engage pre-defined effect groups from a single switch. Many effects also offer "XY" switching, which gives them two completely different sound settings: imagine dialing in a single drive pedal with both "Overdrive" and "Fuzz" channels, or a reverb with foot-selectable "spring" and "hall" sounds.

The fantastically flexible modifier system enables easy real-time sound changes. You can plug two expression pedals (like the forthcoming Fractal EV-1!) into the onboard jacks to control Wah, Whammy, Volume, or virtually anything else, and utilize MIDI or onboard controllers for automated dynamic effects. A precision tuner, two global equalizers and a dedicated, global 4-minute stereo Looper are also built-in.

FX8-EDIT, a full-featured software editor, is also included free. In the tradition of all Fractal Audio Systems products, the FX8 is fully compatible with Fractal-Bot for preset sharing, easy backup and restore, plus firmware updates as new features are added.

See the FX8 One-Sheet here.

Features

FX8 is an advanced multi-effects processor, perfect for guitar, bass, and other instruments.
    "Built Like a Tank" with a powder-coated steel chassis and aircraft aluminum end panels.
    Eleven quiet, durable solid state footswitches with no mechanical contacts to fail. 27 LEDs!
    Two onboard TRS RELAYS to control your amp's channel or effect switching.
    Two onboard PEDAL jacks to connect footswitches or expression pedals.
    FX8 can control or respond to other MIDI gear in your rig with MIDI IN and OUT/THRU ports.
    Easy-to-use with a 160×80px display, 6 buttons, 5 knobs, and minimal menu diving.
    128 PRESETS allow you to create 128 completely different pedalboards.
    Up to eight simultaneous effects per preset, with state-of-the-art "Fractal-quality" algorithms.
    Each effect can be configured as desired: Pre/Post, Series/Parallel.
    "Stompbox Mode" provides traditional ON/OFF switching, plus XY switching (with press & hold).
    "XY" gives many effects two completely different sets of settings for maximum sonic flexibility.
    Eight SCENES/preset allow you to load effect ON/OFF and X/Y "combos" (plus relays and MIDI.)
    "Modifiers" allow real-time control of many parameters via MIDI, pedals, or controllers.
    Designed for UNITY GAIN (both PRE and POST) and featuring TRUE BYPASS.
    High quality converters deliver ultra-low noise and pristine audio. No tone suck!
    Humbuster™ outputs help defeat ground hum (when used with Humbuster™ Cables).
    Built-in global IN and OUT VOLUME (pedal-assignable) & dual global 10-band Graphic EQ.
    Every preset includes a built-in dedicated global 4-MINUTE LOOPER (8m in mono)
    USB for connection to a Mac or PC for easy editing, backup/restore, and firmware updates.
    FX8-Edit, a free editor/librarian, gives user-friendly access to all sound settings.
    And more! Upgradeable firmware means the FX8 will get updates and new features.

Mrchevy

The "invites to order" have now started going out. They are now shipping the first batch. I expect we will start seeing demos in the next week or two. Apparently they are coming out with the AX8 soon though, which looks to be similar to the FX8 but with the amp modeling, etc. A floor version of the AxeFx ? FX8 for use with amp, AX8 for FRFR.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

MusicOverGear

Floor version of AXE would be killer. That is exactly what I searching for when I found this forum. Glad it didn't exist at the time LOL.

My real fantasy is everything that Roland has made to date, in a tiny, horizontal [pedalboard] mount box with no physical interface except a high-res touch screen, with all the malleability of AXE but Roland models. Everything from the VG series, everything from Boss, plus a better virtual analog synth. All parameters open to tweak, assign, modulate.

I kinda suspect that the effects-without-amps modelers are cash-in projects to fund more interesting stuff - like this is Fractal's MiniMoog. Being a crass marketing ploy it will probably be hugely popular and inspire the next generation of great music LOL. So I guess it's all good...

scratch17

QuoteApparently they are coming out with the AX8 soon though, which looks to be similar to the FX8 but with the amp modeling, etc. A floor version of the AxeFx ? FX8 for use with amp, AX8 for FRFR.

According to a post from Fractal last week the AX-8 target release date is October 1st.

Hamer Duotone, Brian Moore i213, Taylor 710 BCE 

VG-99, FC-300, RMC Fanout
RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
68 Fender Bandmaster (AB763)
Marshal AS80R

UA Apollo X6, Twin X, Logic Pro, Luna, Melodyne Studio

Elantric

According to a post from Fractal last week the AX-8 target release date is October 1st.

good  - only 6 months to save $350 / mo and I'll have $2100 to fund  that. The AX-8 fits my use better than the FX-8,( and the Kemper)  and I now have a few more friends with AX-FX (none local)

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13704.msg100413#msg100413

mchad

I'd like to see the effects list for the AX8. Maybe the options within it will be cut back as opposed to the FX8. If not, maybe the AX8 and the GP10 could sit next to each other on a pedalboard and present a formidable tone machine.

Elantric

Here's a look at my coolest new noisemaking guitar toy, the FX8 from Fractal. It's the best sounding thing I've ever heard, next to the Axe-Fx II. It easily replaces all my old stompbox pedals.

No affiliation, I don't review gear or play guitar for a living, but I thought why not make a little video and share.

I made this with my iPhone, and recorded MONO audio with a Rode NT1 to DAW. I didn't spend much time levelling audio, so my voice gets too quiet and then the amp gets too loud. Oh well.

The amp is a Kiity Hawk Junior 50 watt head from the mid 80's, the cab is a Reason 1x12 loaded with an Eminence Red Fang alnico speaker. Guitar is a USA Strat with Kinman pickups. The FX8 is on firmware

Elantric

Elantric