Using an Active Studio Monitor for amplification

Started by FreeTime, November 11, 2015, 03:02:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreeTime

I was thinking about taking a pair of M-Audio BX8a monitors for my GP10/GR55 when I go out to play. Right now I'm using a smaller Roland Keyboard amp, it sounds awful in comparison to the monitors, very peaky around the mids and tinnitus inducing highs. Its loud, but sounds like crap.

The style I like to play most is whisper quiet to big ethereal with very clear (but not brittle) guitar, so tons of headroom is nice.

Reading up on the Bx8s they can be fragile and some people say monitors just wont be loud enough.

What are your thoughts on going that route ?

Plan B is to take along a Behringer B215, but I'm tired of lugging speakers.

Elantric

Amplification for live performance revolves around these specific things

* Do you play Solo?

* what is the size of the Venue ?

* will you perform along with an acoustic Drummer?

* if you perform in a band, what amps are the other members using ?

Myself in small rooms I use one or two TC VoiceSolo FX150 monitors or one Roland Cube Street EX.

If your are playing solo , often than means backing tracks or loops , and having clean headroom with more watts on tap when needed is better than using an underpowered amp while trying to compete with a heavy hitting drummer.

FreeTime

Thanks for the reply Elantric. The guys I play with are pretty tame volume wise, if I start pushing the envelope I can always move on to plan B.

Smash

I have a pair of Alto TS112as - sound is lovely, plenty bottom end, loads of headroom. Quite directional though (no real surprise) - you can lose the top end quite quick if you're off axis

Chumly

Self-powered studio monitors can sound wonderful live (I've done it) but they are more fragile / prone to damage / less robust / less reliable etc. compared to their PA equivalent.
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman