Roland VG-99 Freeze Effect - Assigning ANY Controller to Freeze On / Freeze Off

Started by drjoness2001, September 24, 2011, 04:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drjoness2001

I just posted a video on YouTube explaining step-by-step how to assign any control to turn the Freeze effect on or off. Any controller can be used, not just the D-Beam. In this video clip, I used the GK S1 switch (on an Xotica guitar) to turn the effect on and off. There are some other programming details as well:

ProgMystic

Sweet little instruction video, showed a lot more than just the trick you were giving away. Just goes to show it is going to take me a long time to get a real handle on this thing but every time I come across a little nugget like this I get a bit closer.

Thanks  :D
Once I thought I was wrong, but I was mistaken.

A2theT

Yes the D-Beam and Ribbon controller are really cool but the bottom line is, my hands are way to busy doing other things!

My suggestion for the VG-99 successor (i.e the VG-00) is that they remove these controllers and put the R&D time and money into other features that users are craving.
I'd even prefer a CTL3 on the FC-300 over these controllers.  IMO they are mearly cute show pieces.  I know they're functional but in order to use them (and I do use them, don't get me wrong) I have to walk over to my VG during a song and then free up one of my hands.  I can't tell you how many times I've tried to do a ninja kick over top of the D-Beam  :P lol
HEAVY on the METAL
Axe-Fx II, Roland VG-99 + FC-300, Roland GR-55, Digitech Jamman Stereo, Ibanez/ESP/Jackson Guitars

paults

I had my 99 in my pedal board - with it there, you can pass your foot over the D-beam to use it.

amagalma

"...Play a chord, and let it sustain. The VG-99 will automatically hold that chord...forever! Then solo along with the chord! Very Cool! No need to use the "D-Beam" trigger, the sustain starts as soon as the input level falls below a set threshold. You can use the second VG-99 channel to solo with..."

How do you achieve that?

aliensporebomb

Great video in the first post - good information!  I'd probably just map it to CTL1 or CTL2 on my FC300 as my hands are usually busy playing and I always am using those switches on my VG-99 to switch patches.

Great video Wayne!   As usual!
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

amagalma

I think I have found out how to make the freeze automatical (without the need to press any button or foot-pedal)! This way, I can play Pad sounds and use my foot only to control the volume pedal! :)

This is how I did it (please look at the attached pic)

I wonder if drjoness did it the same way, and what are his settings?

Brent Flash

amagalma

What is FREEZE CHANNEL? What do you mean?

I have already set all relevant to FREEZE settings in the D BEAM menu, and then disabled it so that I don't accidentally enable it with guitar movement in front of the VG99.

Quote from: Brent Flash on March 27, 2013, 09:12:30 AM
I am pretty sure you will have to do FREEZE CHANNEL too.

Brent Flash

musicman65

Awesome! Perfect timing....I need this for a song this weekend.

Thanks,

bd