Vernon Reid Rig Rundown by Premier Guitar!

Started by Bryan, June 20, 2013, 06:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bryan

mbenigni

aliensporebomb

What a rig - my kind of player "fearless and inventive"!  Lots of technology used for a good purpose.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

thebrushwithin

Thanks for the video post! Love these guys!

rolandvg99

My mind goes into a frenzy just by looking at it.  8)
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

Northbell

Burnin' Vernon, what an inspiration for me!

mbenigni

I'm amazed he's using the old 1/8" iRig adaptor to good effect.  Mine was too noisy even for practicing.

LOL @ "haunting the hallways of home depot..."  Great stuff.  :)

cynegetic

HO-LEE CRAPOLA that looks like a nightmare to set up.

ffata

His 99 looks like it has plenty of battle scars.
Also, the Output Level, Patch Level and Balance knobs look different. (replaced maybe?)
And am I wrong, are those ferrite cores on his GK cables?
More importantly, what does he does in case of a melt down?
Possibly the parallel way saves him in the event of a gig disaster.

Bryan

I'd imagine he could just go through the laptop if his VG crashed.

Or just run straight into the Mesa. Not a bad distortion to fall back on I'd say.

The good thing about running parallel is that if one path has an issue he can go another way without too much trouble.

Speaking of his VG condition, was it just me or did his screen look cracked in the lower right portion?

And that to me is a testament to the toughness of the unit. If it can survive with him, we should all breathe a little easier.

clearlight

That looks amazing but I agree with Cyber that it looks nightmarish.
A few of those things I feel could be approximated by the VG although I often wish my Guitar Rig 5 stuff could be somehow included in my VG99.....
Wishful thinking I guess.....
neat rig.
My Music
My Band Website
GUITARS: 2x RG1521, 3x RG321 w/gk, Rg721 Fretless Modified, AmStd FatStrat w/gk, various others....
XV5050,Triton etc..
KOMPLETE 7
VGUITAR Stuff: VG99, FC300, RC5-

mbenigni

I saw one of the Vivid Anniversary performances a couple of months ago and we were sitting in the front row stage right, looking directly at Vernon's desk.  There were a bunch of little USB hubs etc and the idea of somebody brushing up against one of them and unplugging something 5 minutes before showtime was just terrifying.  VR does not shy away from complexity, that's for sure.

Toby Krebs

Vai is cool. Slash is interesting in an old school kind of way. E.J. is a brilliant improviser( and I love his work) but Vernon hands down is so much better than all the rest of these guys.To utilize this much tech-have har-melodic theoretical skills and knowledge and still play with such enormous emotional content is nothing short of well....amazing!!! Guys like this are very rare and no one has more soul than he does. My admiration for him as a player -composer and improviser is very very high. Thanks for posting this. THIS GUY IS IMPORTANT!!! not just as another geetar player but as an example of discipline-hard work and everything else one needs to do what he does. His practice regimen must be ridiculous!!! Dude is anything but lazy! Love his work ethic!

tekrytor

Definite serious moxy going on there. I also like his versatility and coolness. That he runs it all in parallel and just mixes in the rig paths he needed at the time is a DJ or sound engineer approach over the traditional line em up, plug em in guitar player pedal board. Complex? I would argue parallel is much simpler and as he says in the interview... if something drops out, he can just switch to one of the other parallel signal paths. Lazy can be very smart
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

Toby Krebs

Agreed! When I said lazy I was referring to his physical command of the instrument/using thicker strings etc...not his setup.I have been doing all my cover gigs with just a GR55 and a Talk Box for two months now. I'm the lazy guy LOL!

Bryan

I admit I already put Live FX on my iPad and have had a blast playing around with it. Definitely gets some cool but odd sounds with it.

Toby Krebs

God how I love that guy! I have learned so much from him and he has a lot to do with why I went down the guitar synth road for the last 25 years. When I have even a 10th of that much stuff going on I have to wear a headset mic. to sing my parts LOL!

vurnt99

OH You GUYS! Thank you SO MUCH for the kind words-I have to run to the studio now, but I just wanted to say how much I appreciate this forum-It means a lot to me to be part of a community of Mad Tone Scientists! 

I just this to say about the shifting insanity of my rig-the key (for me) is modularity & scalability-the ability to add & more importantly, Subtract parts of it & still have fun...Gotta go, but I'll be back-

XO,

V

mbenigni

Quote...modularity & scalability-the ability to add & more importantly, Subtract parts of it & still have fun...

Great tip!  Keeps your set up and playing versatile, and ensures you're prepared for equipment failures.