KMI Labs StringPort 2 - Guitar to MIDI ( under 5 milliseconds)

Started by admin, November 03, 2015, 02:55:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

admin

KMI Labs StringPort 2

http://www.keithmcmillen.com/labs/stringport-2/

StringPort 2 is the first guitar synth and MIDI controller providing guitarists total control over synthesis and effects without compromising performance or expression.

FAST fret scanning technology and spectral analysis using the Acoustic Instrument Message (AIM) protocol deliver amazingly low latency while preserving the expression and physicality of playing guitar.

stringport-2Built into a traditional guitar with a slender PCB in the neck, StringPort 2 constantly scans the fretboard to tell which notes you are about to play. All fret hand movement is sensed and sent to our patented SP_Analysis software that outputs notes just 5 milliseconds after play.

The AIM protocol utilizes the language of scientific acoustics giving you control over pitch, amplitude, brightness, harmonic content, and pick noise. This data is instantly and continuously sent over the AIM Frame, a tight 128-bit note descriptor transported over MIDI, to capture the timbre of your playing and convert it to synthesis commands.

Introducing the StringPort 2 guitar synth MIDI controller in development at KMI Labs. Timbral control and low latency (5ms) come together to make the most playable guitar synth ever.

Owen Kelley demonstrates Keith McMillen Instruments StringPort 2 at the KMI Technology Premiere.

vanceg

Well, if KMI ever comes out with it, this will be a really cool environment:  A Fret Sensing guitar with individual input channels into a computer, super fast pitch to midi, and I would assume the Strong Arm sustainer built in.... that should be pretty compelling.

scratch17

I always believed that from a design standpoint, fret sensing was like laying six MIDI keyboard controllers in parallel. Combining fret sensing with the dynamics of picking detection gives this technology an edge over keyboard controllers.
With this technology you get the ability to tap and/or pick. Plus string bends, hammer-ons and pull-offs can't be done on keyboards.

Having this technology applied to a real, quality guitar is, for me, the holy grail. Only extra feature I could ask for would be ability to simultaneously use my VG-99. Of course, there would always be option of mounting a GK-13. Might even be possible to add a GK-13 internal kit.
Hamer Duotone, Brian Moore i213, Taylor 710 BCE 

VG-99, FC-300, RMC Fanout
RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
68 Fender Bandmaster (AB763)
Marshal AS80R

UA Apollo X6, Twin X, Logic Pro, Luna, Melodyne Studio

vanceg

UPDATE From NAMM 2016 show floor: 

KMI was demonstrating a String Port 2 system installed in a modified Fender guitar at the NAMM show. 
This included the fret sensing, multichannel output to computer via USB and their synthesis software.
Long story short:  It's in an early stage.  It's surely working and they were able to demonstrate the fret sensing and provide a basic demo of it's synthesis.  It seems to function well in that it's "tracking" quickly.  That said, one really couldn't tell much of anything about the eventual capabilities of the system beyond what we can already infer.  The software for the synthesis consisted of just  a few presets which demonstrated a few key concepts (like the fret sensing) but didn't give any real window into the eventual capabilities of this system.

From what I could gather, KMI is hoping to license the technology or have a major guitar company manufacture instruments with this technology in it.   There was no word on who that might be, or when it might happen.  That said, Keith does have a good record for getting products to market.... and I know that this instrument is something he's been dreaming of and working on for a long time... so i suspect it WILL happen... but I have no idea when...

GovernorSilver

Quote from: vanceg on January 25, 2016, 08:12:37 PM
UPDATE From NAMM 2016 show floor: 

KMI was demonstrating a String Port 2 system installed in a modified Fender guitar at the NAMM show. 
This included the fret sensing, multichannel output to computer via USB and their synthesis software.

So it still requires a computer to operate?

I didn't hear any sounds in the demo that blow away any synth tones I've heard on the VG-99.

drbill

Looks like this requires replacing the neck, right? So none of my set neck guitars will work with it.
GP-10, KPA
BM i2.13p, '76 Les Paul Deluxe w/GK-3, MiM RRS, Ibanez RG420GK, Charvel strat copy w/GK-2a, FTP

scratch17

I doubt there will ever be a retrofit kit available with this technology that would work with any existing guitar. It would require more than changing the neck.

My hope is that a really good quality instrument gets this technology. I'd love a Tele or Strat Elite with Stringport 2. I suspect that such an instrument would sell for more than $3000, so it would not appeal to a mass market.

My fear is that the guitar will be a lower quality instrument that keeps the price down.

The Zeta Mirror 6 used similar technology. From what I've found on the net, it was in production from 1989 to 1994.
From Richard McLeish of RMC who founded Zeta: "The ZETA Mirror 6 kicked ass when you played clean, but the fret/string contacts got dirty over time and the performance degraded as this occurred."

He also states that "we never could build a commercially successful unit. I left the company while they were still trying to get this pink elephant to fly. "

Of course, that was a very long time ago, in terms of technology improvements. So maybe Kieth McMillen can do now what was not commercially practical then.

RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
Marshal AS80R

vanceg

You know that Keith McMillen was the other lead at Zeta, yes? 
The string port 2 seems like the instrument Keith has been dreaming up for many years.  I suspect it will come to market.... at some point.

Quote from: scratch17 on January 26, 2016, 02:09:53 PM
I doubt there will ever be a retrofit kit available with this technology that would work with any existing guitar. It would require more than changing the neck.

My hope is that a really good quality instrument gets this technology. I'd love a Tele or Strat Elite with Stringport 2. I suspect that such an instrument would sell for more than $3000, so it would not appeal to a mass market.

My fear is that the guitar will be a lower quality instrument that keeps the price down.

The Zeta Mirror 6 used similar technology. From what I've found on the net, it was in production from 1989 to 1994.
From Richard McLeish of RMC who founded Zeta: "The ZETA Mirror 6 kicked ass when you played clean, but the fret/string contacts got dirty over time and the performance degraded as this occurred."

He also states that "we never could build a commercially successful unit. I left the company while they were still trying to get this pink elephant to fly. "

Of course, that was a very long time ago, in terms of technology improvements. So maybe Kieth McMillen can do now what was not commercially practical then.

vanceg

Yes - It does require a computer to operate. The processing for the synthesis is done on a computer. 
They were basically showing off the hardware portion (fret sensing neck, hex pickups, usb interface for audio and control signal to the computer) at NAMM.  The synthesis engine was in a VERY basic form.  They weren't talking much about it nor showing it off.  The concept is the same as it was on the string port 1...and it  is pretty damn cool:  The idea is that the system can use the analysis of the audio (pitch, spectral content, what fret the note is being played on, etc) to directly control synthesis parameters.  It doesn't have to convert to MIDI.  Similarly, it will be doing things like directly driving oscillators locked to the frequency of the guitar strings (similar to the old Roland synths or many of the Synth modules in the VG-8, VG-88 and VG-99) to more directly control the synthesis from the guitar signal.  The string port 1 was also capable of processing individual string input directly (polyphonic distortion, polyphonic compression, etc). 
But this processing and synthesis portion of the String Port 2 wasn't really being shown off.  I suspect this will come later. 

I sure hope the version that comes with String Port 2 is more feature rich, stable and takes less processing power than String Port 1.  The only reason I really couldn't use my String Port 1 was that the support app ate up EVERY bit of memory and power my laptop (or desktop) had and was frighteningly "clunky" to use.  Brilliant concept.  GREAT vision.  Just needed it to work more efficiently.

Quote from: GovernorSilver on January 26, 2016, 09:56:38 AM
So it still requires a computer to operate?

I didn't hear any sounds in the demo that blow away any synth tones I've heard on the VG-99.

GovernorSilver

I do recall hexaphonic processing was a big part of the original StringPort - for getting synth-like tones without MIDI conversion.

Thanks for the clarification, vanceg.

jassy

fokof

FWIW  on the fret sensing subject : Industrial Radio are supposed to come out with a guitar ....

http://www.industrialradio.com.au/products/technology.php

It's fret sensing latency is 8ms for a bass wich is amazing.
4000$ for a 4 string is pretty steep though.   :P

Elantric

scratch17

The videos of the Industrial Radio bass MIDI tracking is extremely impressive. I have long believed that this was the logical technical method to bring MIDI output to a really useful level on guitars and basses.

That said, $4000 + shipping for a MIDI guitar with even perfect tracking is way too expensive. Furthermore, a Warmouth guitar like the basic IR midel would cost about $1500. So IR is asking around $2500 for MIDI output.

I personally could afford the $4k price, but I cannot see buying an instrument from a distant continent with no U.S. dealer network to try out the instrument. A guitar that feels great to one player might be unplayable for another. That's why there are so many brands and models available.

Also, this is a relatively new product. No one knows what its useable life is. With no U.S. service available, shipping to Australia plus potentially long wait times is a non-starter.

I wish IR the best of luck. They have provided proof of concept for this technology.

I have waited this long. I will wait for KMI's Stringport 2.

RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
Marshal AS80R

Elantric

scratch17

Impressive. Fret wiring makes guitar to MIDI work as it should. Unfortunately, still no release date mentioned though.

Maybe the tech is (mostly) worked out. The mechanics seem to be finalized to a great degree based on the demo. The AIM protocol goes much further than MIDI in translating the emotion and expressiveness available to a guitarist. Industry standardization and adoption may be something of a holdup. KMI would want a standard in place before release.

Of course no currently available synth or sampler employs AIM. I would guess that implementation would be easier in a software synth / sampler. Recoding a software VST or AU product by adding AIM would be less work (and cost) than a full redesign of  a hardware device. That would entail adding extra processing.

Perhaps KMI could bring in a software instrument partner that could add AIM to its existing software instrument. That could be added to the initial release to showcase the added value AIM brings to the table.

It is possible that the potential from marketing Stringport 2 still does not produce enough profit for KMI and a guitar making partner. That may be a product killer. I truly hope this does become a commercial reality. I will buy it right away.

RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
Marshal AS80R

Elantric

I'm hoping a future version incorporates a fretboard that provides Multidimensional Polyphonic Expression (MPE) control

MIDI specifications for Multidimensional Polyphonic Expression (MPE)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=17710.0

scratch17

Any news? Have not heard anything since Summer Namm 2016.

RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
Marshal AS80R

Elantric

No news, and I did not see any demonstrations at 2017 Winter NAMM

I assume a Keith busy these days with his other interests

BeBop Sensors
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=12720.msg92498#msg92498

vanceg

I have been watching, and I haven't seen word one since they were showing their prototype at NAMM a couple of years ago.

scratch17

That is really unfortunate. This design approach seemed to be the only one to meet
the real world goal of guitars competing with keyboards to trigger MIDI.

Until that goal is met, guitarists will never embrace MIDI guitar, IMHO.

RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
Marshal AS80R

Elantric

Until that goal is met, guitarists will never embrace MIDI guitar, IMHO.

IMHO even if the MIDI tracking was flawless in 2025,  - deep cultural changes , or baby boomers must die off before more than 1% of guitarists embrace the technology.

Used to think Guitarists were smarter than Drummers , but hang around Guitar Forums disproves that concept 

80% of the drummers I know own some form a "V-Drums", for getting more gigs, playing at lower decibel levels  -and most own their own small demo studio and understand computers.

But most guitar  forums consider me the disruptive  man from mars when I talk about Guitar Synths or  hex Pickup "DSP Guitar Modeling" - even in this day of Kempers/ AXE-FX / Helix.

vanceg

Quote from: Elantric on March 11, 2017, 11:11:01 AM
IMHO even if the MIDI tracking was flawless in 2025,  - deep cultural changes , or baby boomers must die off before more than 1% of guitarists embrace the technology.

Used to think Guitarists were smarter than Drummers , but hang around Guitar Forums disproves that concept 

80% of the drummers I know own some form a "V-Drums", for getting more work at lower decibel levels

But most guitarists consider me to be the disruptive  man from mars when I talk about Guitar Synths or   "DSP Guitar Modeling" - even in this day of Kempers/ AXE-FX / Helix

So true.  I currently think that DSP modeling has a much better chance of acceptance than MIDI/guitar synth technology. After all, much of the DSP modeling is really just trying to repeat old tones that are familiar.  We can repurpose that technology toward creating some new and interesting sounds... that's my strategy.   

Elantric

QuoteSo true.  I currently think that DSP modeling has a much better chance of acceptance than MIDI/guitar synth technology. After all, much of the DSP modeling is really just trying to repeat old tones that are familiar.  We can repurpose that technology toward creating some new and interesting sounds... that's my strategy.   

Explains why I still own VG-8EX, VG-88 V2, VG-99, and recently acquired a VB-99   -along with my two GP-10's 

imerkat

Any news on this?

Seems like this project was going in the right direction