VG-88 - Convince me.

Started by Antonuzzo, March 15, 2017, 03:48:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antonuzzo

I've got a VG-99, VG-8 and a VB-99. But I skipped over the VG-88; at the time I recall thinking that it didn't represent that much of an advance over the VG-8, which I was still (and still am) ploughing the depths of.

But now I'm pondering one. They're cheap on eBay and the completist in me wants that in my collection.

Is there anything that the VG-88 offers that the other units don't have? I still love the VIO functions in the VG-8, and its ability to get back in tune at the press of a button.

Brak(E)man

IMO the wave synth and the sitar emulation are the best on 88 compared to 99
The wave alone is worth getting the 88
swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

Tony Raven

I find the sounds of the VG-88 much more "slick" or maybe "commercial." This is both good (makes it really nice for recording, especially when trying to dial in a sound some other guy has in his head) & bad (my best stuff, such as it is, seems to arise from working with/around gear imperfections). Pawing through the factory settings, fewer leapt out as being remarkable than I found on the VG-8.

Another selling point is the in-built EV-5 linear controller. Again, good/bad news: compared to the VG-8, it means less plugwire onstage, but is also less flexible for placement.

Considering the price, though, what's the harm of having one on the shelf? All likelihood there's a handful of sounds that simply couldn't come from another piece of kit.

But by all means don't overlook the power of the amazing V-Editor (so long as you've got the V.2 firmware upgrade).