Set List Maker - Lyrics and MIDI Patch change control setup

Started by mockchoi, July 28, 2013, 11:14:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

greekjgg

Can somebody say for certain what codes should be entered for the first 4 patches?

I'm trying desperately to set this up for both setlist maker and tbmidi stuff and I'm hitting my head against the wall! I've read all the tutorials, etc. I'm typically quick to catch on, but I'm missing something simple.
Setup:
Homemade EVH Frankenstrat with built in GK3
GR55
Rocktron Talkbox
TC Helicon Voicetone C1
Tech 21 Power Engine 60

Elantric

QuoteAs a new user of setlist maker I figured I would post this little thing I ran into recently regarding the midi.  When you create a midi preset for the GR-55 it requires an MSB for bank changes.  Since the first 128 patches (0-127) of the "user" patches use "0" as the bank number I had just quickly ran through and entered 0 in both the MSB and LSB fields.  That works perfectly, it's when you bump up to bank 1 (presets 129-256) that you have to pay attention.  I thought Gr-55 ignored the LSB messages but it doesn't.  As I did with the first bank instead of zeros I put "1" in both fields. And then "2" for the 3rd bank for presets 257-296.  None of them worked.  I discovered that the gr-55 wants to see "0" in the LSB bank.

greekjgg

Quote from: Elantric on January 10, 2014, 09:38:47 AM

I read this before: based on that I'm trying

00 00 01 1:1
00 00 02 1:2
00 00 03 1:3
00 00 04 2:1
Setup:
Homemade EVH Frankenstrat with built in GK3
GR55
Rocktron Talkbox
TC Helicon Voicetone C1
Tech 21 Power Engine 60

Elantric

I'm nowhere near my GR-55  -

I suggest send a message to Litesnsirens, for all the details on Setlistmaker control of GR-55 - hes got this all working, as reported earlier in this thread.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=pm;sa=send;u=7564

Litesnsirens wrote>
QuoteAs a new user of setlist maker I figured I would post this little thing I ran into recently regarding the midi.  When you create a midi preset for the GR-55 it requires an MSB for bank changes.  Since the first 128 patches (0-127) of the "user" patches use "0" as the bank number I had just quickly ran through and entered 0 in both the MSB and LSB fields.  That works perfectly, it's when you bump up to bank 1 (presets 129-256) that you have to pay attention.  I thought Gr-55 ignored the LSB messages but it doesn't.  As I did with the first bank instead of zeros I put "1" in both fields. And then "2" for the 3rd bank for presets 257-296.  None of them worked.  I discovered that the gr-55 wants to see "0" in the LSB bank.

Many of you may not require presets past the first 128 but since I play in 3 bands and each song had its own patch I have a lot and I keep them somewhat spread out to allow for expansion. 
I actually decided in setlistmaker to create a database for each band so they can sync separately and one global database.  In the global database I've created 297 midi presets, one for each user patch, and assigned all the midi changes for both my Gr-55 and my voicelive2.  Then I can just copy what I need from there to my band databases as needed.

That's how I discovered the above, I'm in the process of creating a song for each midi preset in the global database as well (even if the only data in the song is the title and the midi preset for now.  This will allow me to access any of my user patches from that database without scrolling the wheel or repeatedly tapping the S1 buttons.  The smart lists in setlistmaker allow you to show all the songs by title or artist or tempo style etc.  very cool feature!!

It seems like there are a number of people starting to use SLM.  Maybe we should make a tips and tricks thread.  And keep it somewhere accessible.  There's a lot that can be done with this and I think we are just scratching the surface.  I have some other ideas that I haven't tested yet but some might find them helpful.  I'm also looking forward to the ik multimedia blueboard coming out this fall.  Looks like a better alternative to the BT-105 although it runs on triple A batteries.

Refer to the Setlistmaker MIDI Patch entry screen

whippinpost91850

Just starting to set up setlist maker and can't seem to find what MSB, LSB mean ??? I assume program number is just that.

Here is the SetlistMaker MIDI Setup screen the three fields are Bank MSB, Bank LSB, Program Number

Elantric

Reread from 1st post in this thread.
Litensirens spells out what value to place in each field.

whippinpost91850

Thanks Elantric, I missed that somehow. Now I'm tryin to get text big enough to not have to where my glasses, They tend  to fall off my face when i play live :'(

HoosierMan

Quote from: Litesnsirens on August 03, 2013, 07:49:51 AM
In the global database I've created 297 midi presets, one for each user patch, and assigned all the midi changes for both my Gr-55 and my voicelive2. 

I have read this thread and others related to using Setlist Maker to control the GR-55 and I now have my setup working.  It was actually way easier than I feared.  It works like a charm to make multiple patch changes within one song.  This is so cool.  I used the "MIDI Learn" feature within SLM to read and save the MIDI data that I wanted to capture for each MIDI preset I was creating and then I used the SLM automation feature to specify where in each song I wanted the bank and program changes to be made.  I have some balance issues due to vestibular dysfunction after craniotomy surgery a few years ago, so not having to tap dance on pedals while I am playing is a huge thing for me, so the time and money I have spent on this solution is totally worth it to me.

Anyway, the last piece of my puzzle that I want to solve is how to get SLM to send a PC to the VoiceLive Play.  (I have the white VLP GTX)  Litesnsirens made reference to doing this above.  Do you have more details on how to set that up?  Are you basically just mapping the banks/patches one to one from the GR-55 to the VLP?  For example if you wanted the GR-55 to change to a different patch, but the VLP settings stay the same, would you copy the VLP patch settings to the corresponding bank/patch location that the GR-55 is changing to?

GR-55                 VLP
Patch 01-01         Patch 01-01
Patch 10-02         Patch 10-02 (but setting are the same as VLP 01-01?)

Elantric

Big Jim

I made an excel sheet for programming SLM to the GR-55.
Hope this helps keep things neat.

JazzGuiutarGimp

Hi All,

I hope I've posted this in the correct forum.

I just bought Set List Maker with MIDI add-on. At this point, I am only interested in sending Patch Change messages to the GR-55. I have connected my iPad to the Apple USB adaptor cable, then to a USB-A to USB-B cable, then to the USB port on the GR-55. I know the GR-55 can receive Patch Change commands via its USB port, because this is the way the Floorboard app communicates with it. But I cannot get the patch changes to happen on the GR-55.

Is anyone doing this via USB? I'd really appreciate a bit of help with this.

Many thanks,
Lou

I should add that when I make the connection from iPad to GR-55, I get a message on the iPad screen saying: "Error, device not supported, Roland GR-55" I have emailed Arlo about this and he says that many times, when this error is displayed, it will in-fact work.

Elantric

QuoteI just bought Set List Maker with MIDI add-on. At this point, I am only interested in sending Patch Change messages to the GR-55. I have connected my iPad to the Apple USB adaptor cable, then to a USB-A to USB-B cable, then to the USB port on the GR-55. I know the GR-55 can receive Patch Change commands via its USB port, because this is the way the Floorboard app communicates with it. But I cannot get the patch changes to happen on the GR-55.

Its not going to work.

This is because the iPad requires attached MIDI devices are  USB Audio/MIDI Class Compliant - sadly the Roland GR-55 is not a USB Class Compliant Device. (side note: I fear the Boss GP-10 will be the same ;(

Instead use a cheap USB Class compliant USB to MIDI adapter cable - connect USB side to iPad CCK, and thee 5 pin DIN MIDI OUT" side to the GR-55's MIDI Input.

A few  USB Class compliant USB to MIDI adapter cable are listed here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8393.0

JazzGuiutarGimp

Thank you, Elantric. One more question, please: Will any USB to MIDI cable work with the iPad? For instance, on Amazon, I see the Hosa USM422. It says it comes with "Drivers". I am not sure it is possible to install drivers on the iPad. Will this cable work?

Thanks again,
Lou

Elantric

JazzGuiutarGimp

Thanks again, Elantric - I just ordered the Meritline cable. So nice to have access to a community of folks who have already "been down that road"....

Not sure I understand the patch number MSB LSB Program stuff yet, but I'll wait until I have the cable before I poke my head into that. In the meantime, I will get all of my MIDI Presets saved by song title in Set List Maker, then add the patch numbers later. (I've only built patches on the GR-55 for two of forty songs anyway). I'm getting there! So much to do, but so much equipment to leave at home for my gigs!

Elantric

QuoteNot sure I understand the [GR-55] patch number MSB LSB Program stuff yet [in SetListMaker], but I'll wait until I have the cable before I poke my head into that.

The info you seek is  here:
GR-55 and iPad (Setlist Maker)
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2013, 06:53:52 AM »
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9090.msg66757#msg66757

QuoteSo nice to have access to a community of folks who have already "been down that road"....

We all "stand on the shoulders of others" - glad we could help you out.

JazzGuiutarGimp

So....

User 01-1 = 0  0  0
User 43-2 = 0  0  127
User 43-3 = 1  0  0
User 86-1 = 1  0  127
User 86-2 = 2  0  0
User 99-3 = 2  0  40

Do I have that right?

Elantric

I'm not going to be near my GR-55 for a few days.

User "Litesnsirens" is the one who got his GR-55 working with Setlistmaker  - suggest contact him

JazzGuiutarGimp

Thank you both, Elantric and BackDAWman.

It looks like it's going to be two weeks before I have the MIDI cable (it shipped today from China). But I went ahead and programmed the midi patch changes for all the songs in my set list, and I will do the GR-55 programming to match. If it turns out the correct patches are not being called, I'll get it sorted out at that point. Right now, my band has only 40 songs, so I haven't crossed over the MSB 0 to 1 line yet  ;D

Many thanks, folks!
Lou

Headless68

this is an interesting concept - I have an ipad and I just bought a mic stand clip for it, really to mess with softsynths on the ipad & had not thought about set list / patch control from it - my question is this, at a live venue (i.e. bars) how do you secure a highly nickable bit of kit like an ipad on a mic stand?

Cheers
Phil

Elantric

Quotehow do you secure a highly nickable bit of kit like an ipad on a mic stand?

See details in the iPad Air thread
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9882.0

Here is a Mic Stand Holder for iPad Air I use
Charger City Tablet Computer Holder

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FFLK7AM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A11V2MDXFAC9IW

Innovative, Multi Joint adjustable Aluminum Alloy base will fit any flat-edged tables, desks, counters, Music Mic Microphone Wheel Chair Hospital Bed Pole Bar (Up to 2"inches)
Universal 360° rotating Spring Loaded Adjustable Holder fits any tablet 7"-12" with or without a case or skin
4WAY Adjustable aluminum Interchangeable arm (Adjust arm length from from 6" to 10") / 360° Rotation Lock C-clamp (YES, 4 WAY Adjustment to maximize your viewing)
Aluminum Alloy construction Clamp Mount: lightweight and strong **HEAVY DUTY TO withstand heavy use**
Compatible with Apple iPad 6 5 4 3 2 Air Mini Retina Samsung Galaxy Tab Note Pro Amazon Kindle HD HDX Microsoft Surface Google Nexus 7 8 9 10 11 12.2 inch Tablet ASUS Transformer Prime MemoPad VivoTab , Acer Iconia, Toshiba Thrive Excite Lenovo IdeaPad, Blackberry Playbook, Microsoft Surface and more...

I can easily remove the ipad and put it away when I'm on break

JazzGuiutarGimp

Hi All,

Any help greatly appreciated - I am trying to get this up and running before I need to leave for rehearsal.

I just got my MeritLine USB to MIDI cable. I have Set List Maker installed on my iPad, and the MeritLine interface connected via the Apple CCK. I have a blue LED on the Meritline, and a flashing red LED on the MeritLine that stops when I unplug the MIDI IN from the GR-55 MIDI Out. I do not have an LED Flash on the MeritlIne when I send a patch change to the GR-55.

I have looked in the iPad Settings, for anything relating to MIDI, but found nothing. Is there a MIDI driver I need to install on the iPad?

SLM - Settings - Audio & MIDI, I have tried Send MIDI Patches Together both on and off - no change. I have tried MIDI Through on and off - no change.

I have built a MIDI Preset for each song, which had the MIDI Channel number as well we the patch change data - but now I do not see any patch change data in any of my MIDI Presets. SHould I be looking for this data somewhere else?

I am really confused - I don't suppose there is a step by step setup (including iPad and SLM setting) instruction here somewhere?

Many, many thanks,
Lou

Elantric

I suggest employ a IOS MIDI Monitor - to debug MIDI communications

Many are listed here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2975.0

And AFAIK - Forum members Litesnsirens and Gustavo_5 posted the known proper "MSB +LSB" MIDI patch change commands which must be incorporated into every MIDI patch change message transmitted by Setlistmaker.
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9090.msg76653#msg76653

and download Big_Jim's Setlistmaker>GR-55 Patch change MS Excel template here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=9090.0;attach=8749

This reveals all MIDI MSB/LSB/Program Change messages which correlate to the GR-55's 99 banks of three patch per bank paradigm.

And yes - we need a better step by step  tutorial on how to accomplish "Setlistmaker IOS MIDI control of GR-55 Patch changes" 

JazzGuiutarGimp

I figured it out. It turns out since I built my MIDI Presets before I had the USB interface, I had to go back through each of the MIDI Presets and set the interface to USB.