The new iphone design confirmed

Started by Elantric, July 06, 2012, 10:38:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

QuoteWhile we're back on the subject, it's worth checking out the latest Tapatalk update.

Thanks - I'll give it another try

So far I'm impressed with the stock IOS8 Safari Browser  - and my other "best IOS 8" Web browser pick today is

Opera Mini
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/opera-mini-web-browser/id363729560?mt=8

I love the full screen modes

Elantric

With my iPhone 6 Plus  - I'll share a few accessories i'm using

I use this to mount iPhone 6 Plus to mic stand
Grifiti Nootle Quick Release Pipe Clamp and Universal Phone Mount Adjustable For iPhone, Smartphone, Galaxy, Andriod, HTC One, Nokia, Fits HandleBars, Music and Mic Stands, Tripods $17

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J9246GE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I bought this older Belkin iPhone 5S Lightning Stand ($16) - and with a slight modification it lets me dock and charge my iPhone 6 Plus with its i-Blason Case intact while at work.
Belkin Charge and Sync Dock with Lightning Cable Connector for iPhone 5 / 5S and iPod touch 5th Generation (Silver)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AYNRLFA/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use this Belkin Lightning Dock with my iPhone 6 Plus - But I did take it apart, ( remove rubber bottom pad and remove 4 small phillips screws) and slightly modified the Belkin rotating base that the Lightning plug is part of. ( i used a small X-Acto Saw from Michael's Hobby Store) and put it all back together. The outcome is now the rotating base for the Lightning plug is narrower, and now allows me to place my iPhone 6 Plus with i-Blason Heavy Duty Case ( Otterbox Defender style) - I love this dock!

Elantric

After my 3rd week of using iPhone 6 Plus - I'm back being productive again!

I had been using iPhones 2008-2012 - but with my eyesight getting worse, and being mindful of use-ability, the larger Galaxy Note 2 made sense for at the time back in 2012

But i found the "too many options" on Android to be a drag, lack of interapp compatibility, the promise of low latency Audio was smoke and mirrors,   and I had a few major security issues  - where my bank had to issue two new VISA cards to solve a security breach  - that might have been due to a rogue Android app I downloaded somewhere, and the paradigm of Android phones under carrier contract here in the USA always being at the mercy of AT&T / Verizon ( and NOT Samsung) for OS updates  - which were always 6 months late and always made my Android  device slower with less battery life  - yuck!

Neardark72

Those problems and the instability of Android, makes me stay with IPhones.
Not even a matter of the name of the brand, it's more a security thing like virus free.

Elantric

Elantric

The next iPhone 7 will remove the 3.5mm headset jack

In true "must carry a bag of Apple adapter dongles to get work done" fashion -  look for a new round of Lightning to Headset adapters to arrive in stores soon ahead of schedule

http://www.iclarified.com/55398/lightning-to-headphone-jack-adapters-surface-in-china-ahead-of-new-iphone

Adapters that convert a 3.5mm headphone connector to a Lightning connector have already surfaced in China. Tama Electric is making three versions of the adapter as spotted by Macotakara.

Each adapter features volume and play/pause buttons and two of them have a micro-USB port in addition to the 3.5mm port.

Apple is widely rumored to be dropping the headphone jack from its next generation iPhone allowing for a thinner design, saving internal space, and improving audio quality. Presumably, the company would include a set of Lightning earbuds with the device but those who want to use their regular headphones would need an adapter similar to these.

To ease the transition, Apple could include their own adapter with the new iPhone but many feel it will be an additional purchase.

Of course the above is possible because small 24 bit DAC headphone amp IC's are cheap these days.

Elantric

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2016/08/15/apple-iphone7-leaks-speakers-home-button/#25cc31365407
Apple Leaks Reveal iPhone 7 Nasty Surprises
by: Gordon Kelly

There is no headphone jack. By now the whole world knows Apple has made the controversial decision to axe the world's most ubiquitous port from the new iPhone 7. But now users may not be getting the goodies they expected as compensation for this loss...

A pair of leaks this week make grim reading for potential iPhone 7 buyers as Apple appears set to cut back on two innovations widely expected this year.

'Great Features' and 'Nasty Surprises' are my regular columns investigating software updates and new hardware for the best features / biggest problems hidden behind the headlines.

Nasty Surprise #1: No Stereo Speakers

The first bad news comes via highly reliable French site Nowhereelse.fr which has attained schematics of the iPhone 7. The schematics say the matching second speaker grill on the bottom edge of the iPhone 7 (added thanks to the removal of the headphone jack) is purely cosmetic and simply houses the microphone.

Apple has pulled a similar stunt before with the iPhone 4S which also had matching dual speakers on the bottom edge (the headphone jack was at the top of the phone back then). Many predicted stereo sound at the time, only to be disappointed.

Nasty Surprise #2: No Touch Sensitive Home Button

With iPhone 7 innovations expected to be primarily internal (improved performance, bigger battery) and incremental (the dual camera is an iPhone 7 Plus / Pro only feature) there was one exception: the home button.

After nine years, the iPhone 7 appeared ready to move to a MacBook-inspired touch sensitive button which uses haptic feedback to simulate the sensation of physical touch. A fixed button would be more reliable, save physical space and potentially enable Apple to use the touch sensitivity to add gesture support at a later date (there's no sign of this in iOS 10).

Unfortunately MacRumors reports a leaked chassis via Geekbar which it believes to be from the iPhone 7 shows the same cutouts for a physical home button, just like previous models.

What To Think?

Of course the obvious point to make is both leaks could be off the mark. In fact even if they are correct, Apple is known to make and test multiple iterations of each iPhone prior to settling on a design. So these could be prototype plans that have since been scrapped.

That said I would argue it is crucial Apple 'sells' the loss of the headphone jack as a gain overall by arguing it allows the iPhone 7 to take new, appealing steps forward. These include higher quality sound through the Lightning port, more space for a bigger battery, waterproofing and yes, stereo speakers and (in absence of a design overhaul) the compensation of an upgraded home button and internals.

If such features get chipped away, the loss of a headphone jack in conjunction with a third year of largely unchanged external design set against the backdrop of falling sales could spell trouble and imply stagnation. Yes, sales figures will still be on a scale of 'trouble' most smartphone makers would die for but it's trouble nonetheless.

In recent years Apple product launches have had little to no surprises. With some of the negativity surrounding the iPhone 7 (especially against the excitement for 2017's radical iPhone 8 ) let's hope Apple does have some surprises this year. Either way, we'll all find out very soon...

___

jassy

The very sad thing is that Google does not have real interest to make a SO able to work at very low latencies and be  musical capable.
I will not have an Iphone and Ipad...
But that not gonna happen anytime soon apparently.

Kevin M

montyrivers

Quote from: Kevin M on August 16, 2016, 09:44:47 PM
I doubt iOS's future is quite that bleak.

Hehe, I joining in on the grim pragmatism, but Apple has an uphill battle on their hands if they think the average consumer will readily embrace overpriced lightning headsets and switch to bluetooth only, over their 7 dollar 3.5mm sets.  Even more clumsy is how Apple will be trying to remediate this by selling a cumbersome (and likely expensive) addon to allow for a 3.5mm audio jack.

For the iOS musician, however, I think this can be a blessing in disguise.  The 3.5mm jack as a legit IO option is serviceable at best, and the market of lightning compatible 24 bit stand alone interfaces is equally limited to a few companies.  Now that audio IO for even general consumer use will more or less force 3rd parties to provide their own hardware for A to D and vice versa, we could see an explosion of cheap, low latency general purpose audio interfaces

Elantric

QuoteFor the iOS musician, however, I think this can be a blessing in disguise.  The 3.5mm jack as a legit IO option is serviceable at best, and the market of lightning compatible 24 bit stand alone interfaces is equally limited to a few companies.  Now that audio IO for even general consumer use will more or less force 3rd parties to provide their own hardware for A to D and vice versa, we could see an explosion of cheap, low latency general purpose audio interfaces

Optical ADAT I/O

Ethernet AVB

DANTE

BSS BLUELINK

MADI

ATMOS

Elantric

http://www.simya.com.cn/en_product_detail.asp?id=934

as predicted here

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6482.msg131519#msg131519

In true "must carry a bag of Apple adapter dongles to get work done" fashion -  look for a new round of Lightning to Headset adapters to arrive in stores soon ahead of schedule
http://www.businessinsider.com/iphone-7-headphone-adaptor-dongle-2016-9?yptr=yahoo?r=UK&IR=T

The iPhone 7 is going to remove the headphone jack and come packaged with "the world's most anticipated dongle" that will let you use your existing headphones, according to analysts at Pacific Crest.

A series of rumours have claimed the iPhone 7 won't have a normal headphone jack, instead Apple is expected to remove that port entirely and encourage headphone manufacturers to release models that plug directly into the Lightning port (which you also use to charge your phone).

(Side note - and Apple obtains a Revenue stream from lightning Headphone vendors as they must pass Apple's "Made for Idevice"  (MFI) certification

https://developer.apple.com/programs/mfi/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MFi_Program
Of course, not everybody is going to have a pair of Lightning headphones. Lots of people are going to want to use their old-fashioned, non-Lightning headphones. Because of that, Apple is expected to include an adaptor in the box with the new iPhone 7, and Pacific Crest is calling it "the world's most anticipated dongle" in a note published on August 31.

The decision to drop the headphone port is already proving controversial (and it hasn't been officially announced yet). The Verge published an article titled "Taking the headphone jack off phones is user-hostile and stupid" and Apple cofounder Steve Wozniak said that "if it's missing the 3.5 mm earphone jack, that's going to tick off a lot of people."

mooncaine

I agree with what you said The Verge had said about it. It's hostile to users and it's stupid.

So sometimes I like to listen to one or two tunes on my phone, right before bed. It's sleepy and its battery's almost dead by then, so I have it in a charger. If I bought that new iPhone, I couldn't use my headphones and my charger at the same time. Even when I do use my phones, I'd have to use a 3rd piece like an adapter cable. Why would I want that? @#%$  that.

Kevin M

It's pretty f-ing stupid. The 3.5mm headphone jack IS the standard and to blatantly disregard that and/or enforce a 'walled garden' standard makes no sense.  It's almost as bad as non-upgradable memory on a computer.

Elantric

Eliminating the 3.5mm Headset jack is motivated to support a waterproof iPhone.

And some idiot at Apple thinks everyone loves and uses Bluetooth headsets - and disregards the many professionals who use the Phones internal 24 bit DAC and 3.5mm jack when using bulk of iRig Pro , Apogee JAM , etc

(myself I can't use a Bluetooth headset for more than 20 minutes before I feel by brain frying from the RF  - so each person is unique)

And of course Bluetooth Headsets are useless for serious music creation due to the added audio latency. 

With this trend - I predict a future iPhone that wins artistic clean design awards because the front looks just like the back because they eliminate the display - which will be sold as a separate Lightning port accessory 

aliensporebomb

I'm told there will be a lightning to 3.5" adapter included for use with wired headphones.  Supposedly with much better audio quality than the output jack we are used to.

Some have said "what? okay, great but how do you charge the phone then when you are listening to music then?"  How indeed.

Maybe the battery is so good on this model that nobody is going to worry about it but.... some people never experience great battery life and charge more than they need to compulsively so they're always at 90% or so.  And they wonder why their battery life is subpar.

For listening in my car it's not a problem since I use a bluetooth adapter that connects to my car speakers but for headphones yes I have a "convertible" set of Sony monitoring cans that has both wired and bluetooth operation.  Guess which mode SOUNDS better (yes, it involves the wire).

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Elantric

QuoteI'm told there will be a lightning to 3.5" adapter included for use with wired headphones.  Supposedly with much better audio quality than the output jack we are used to.

Some have said "what? okay, great but how do you charge the phone then when you are listening to music then?"  How indeed.

By using the lightning power input on a Headset CODEC adapter like this one

Also there exist many speakers that have a USB Host port and advertised as "USB AUDIO"
Apple  Lightning cable is all you need to connect and many of these "USB AUDIO" accessories charge the connected iPhone / iPad while playing music

I use a Creative E5 that has  USB AUDIO internal battery and charges the iPhone   - even works with my old iPhone 4
http://us.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-e5

TDK Life on Record 61834

and there are Lightning Speaker docks that charge the iPhone while playing Audio

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MGRM2AM/A/iphone-lightning-dock-white?fnode=97

Charge and sync any iPhone that features the Lightning connector with the iPhone Lightning Dock. Your iPhone sits upright in the dock as it syncs or charges, so it's perfect for a desk or countertop. Even when your iPhone is in an Apple-designed case, it's easy to dock. And you can unlock iPhone or use Touch ID without having to remove it from the dock. The iPhone Lightning Dock features an audio port so it can be used with headphones that include a remote control or line-out to connect to powered speakers. And it supports other Lightning accessories, such as the Lightning to USB Cable (included with your iPhone). You can even conduct speakerphone calls with your iPhone in the dock.
Here are some ways you can use the iPhone Lightning Dock:
Connect the dock to your computer with the USB cable (included with your iPhone) to sync iPhone and charge its battery.
Connect the dock to an electrical outlet using the Apple USB Power Adapter (included with your iPhone) to charge the battery.
Place your iPhone in the dock and enjoy clear audio during speakerphone calls.
Connect the dock to powered speakers or a stereo using a 3.5 mm cable (sold separately) to play music and podcasts from your iPhone.

Elantric

http://www.apple.com/airpods/

http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/09/06/apple-airpods-to-target-high-end-of-headphone-market-with-custom-bluetooth-like-low-power-tech

Apple 'AirPods' to target high end of headphone market with custom 'Bluetooth-like' low-power tech
By Neil Hughes   
Tuesday, September 06, 2016, 09:14 am PT (12:14 pm ET)

Apple's new wireless earbuds, expected to be announced this week as "AirPods," are said to feature a custom-designed wireless chip that will be "Bluetooth-like," carving out a share of the high-end headphone market and potentially paving the way for new smart home and smart car accessories.

Apple "AirPods" mockup via Twitter user Effah Hanie.

Details on Apple's unique wireless technology were revealed on Tuesday by well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities. In a new research note, a copy of which was obtained by AppleInsider, Kuo said that wireless headphones will play an important role for the headphone-jack-free "iPhone 7."

"Apple will likely have its own-designed Bluetooth-like communication chip and launch own-brand Bluetooth headphones targeting the high-end market, with Beats positioned in the midrange market," Kuo wrote. He did not give any potential indication of pricing.

With Apple expected to ditch the headphone jack, Kuo believes that wireless headphones will become the default option for many iPhone users. He sees Apple addressing that growing market with a two-pronged attack: Apple-branded "AirPods" on the high end, and a range of Beats-branded headphones for the middle of the market.

With its own custom "Bluetooth-like" chip, Kuo believes Apple could use proprietary low-power wireless communications for other functions beyond headphones, including smart home accessories and an intelligent automobile.

Kuo believes that Apple may in fact deviate from Bluetooth specifications, given what he called the company's "higher requirements for power-saving, communication specs and potential rapid growth." He sees Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Company likely manufacturing the wireless communications chip for Apple, while Cheng Uei Precision and Inventec are expected to handle final assembly of the headphones.

Finally, Kuo said he does not expect Apple to bundle wireless headphones with this year's "iPhone 7" models. Leaked packaging has suggested Apple will instead bundle wired Lightning-connected EarPods in the box, as well as a headphone jack adapter for legacy 3.5-millimeter headphones.

The potential "AirPods" branding was leaked a few months ago through an Apple trademark filing. The name would be a combination of Apple's AirPlay wireless streaming technology and the EarPods headphones bundled with iOS devices.

In a separate note days earlier, the same analyst predicted the new "iPhone 7" will come in capacities of 32, 128 and 256 gigabytes, and will also boast an improved camera flash module for better low-light images. The next-generation handset is also expected to boast a True Tone display for better color representation of photos taken with new, improved camera modules.

All will be revealed on Wednesday, when Apple will hold a media presentation at the Bill Graham Civic Auditorium in San Francisco, Calif. AppleInsider will provide full coverage and analysis.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/09/07/apple-announces-water-resistant-iphone-7-pressure-sensing-home-button-dual-cameras-jet-black-finish

Apple announces water resistant iPhone 7: pressure sensing home button, dual cameras, jet black finish
By AppleInsider Staff
Wednesday, September 07, 2016, 11:24 am PT (02:24 pm ET)

This year's iPhone 7 series features a number of upgrades throughout, including a new jet black glossy finish option, a click-free pressure sensitive home button, and the best mobile cameras Apple has ever offered.

External changes

Apple put a particular emphasis on a new glossy "jet black" finish
Integrated antennas that are subtly built. It's also available in aluminum with a black logo, gold, silver, and rose gold.

The home button is also getting a makeover with this year's iPhone, making it completely reengineered with a force sensitive design and new generation "Taptic Engine."

It features quick actions like moving widgets, messages, notifications, and ringtones. It can also be programmed by third-party applications with a new Taptic Engine API.

It's also water resistant, keeping out liquid and dust that can prevent damage.

Camera shakeup

The iPhone 7 features optical image stabilization in all models with a larger f/1.8 aperture lens that lets in 50 percent more light. There's also a new six-element lens, and a high-speed 12-megapixel sensor that's 60 percent faster and 30 percent more energy efficient.

The True Tone flash features four LEDS that put out 50 percent more light. There's also a "flicker sensor" that reads the flickering of artificial lighting and can compensate for it in photos and videos.

The camera is powered by an Apple-designed image signal processor that detects faces and bodies, sets exposure, sets white balance, captures wide color, reduces noise, and much more.

The forward facing FaceTime HD camera has been upgraded to 7 megapixels, up from 5 megapixels. It also includes new pixel technology like deep trench isolation, and can capture wide color images and auto image stabilization.

The 5.5-inch iPhone 7 Plus ups the ante with two 12-megapixel cameras — one with a wide-angle lens, while the other is telephoto. This allows users to change the focal length of the lens, bringing optical zoom to the iPhone for the first time.

Combined with software zoom, images can be enhanced up to 10x, doubling that of the previous iPhone's capabilities. Optical zoom maxes out at 2x.

The dual-camera system is also capable of simulating shallow depth of field. It uses machine learning to recognize people and faces, then creates a depth map to keep people in focus while the background is blurry.

"This is a huge breakthrough in what can be done with a smartphone and photography," Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller said on Wednesday.

Depth of field capabilities were only previewed at Wednesday's event — they'll arrive for iPhone 7 Plus in a software update later this year.

Display, speakers

The display on the iPhone 7 series is 25 percent brighter, featuring a wide color display. Like the iPhone 6s, it also includes 3D Touch input.

To demonstrate the new wide color capabilities of the iPhone 7, a representative from Instagram took the stage, showing how an upcoming update to their app will leverage both the camera and enhanced screen.

Apple has also introduced stereo sound on the iPhone 7 for the first time.

http://www.macworld.com/article/3117233/hardware/iphone-7-announcement.html
What you need to know about the iPhone 7: No headphone jack but dramatically overhauled cameras
Hit the road, jack.

iphone 7 jet black
COMMENTS
Caitlin McGarry
Caitlin McGarry | @Caitlin_McGarry
Staff Writer, Macworld Sep 7, 2016 11:33 AM
The rumors were true: Apple's next-generation iPhones, the 7 and 7 Plus, traded the headphone jack for Lightning EarPods. What this means for you: Now there's one port instead of two. The company is including Lightning-connected EarPods with the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus. Apple is also including a Lightning to 3.5mm adapter in the box to avoid causing too much outrage.

So why that lack of a jack?

"It's been with us for a really long time," Phil Schiller said during Apple's iPhone presentation on Wednesday. "It comes down to courage—courage to move on, do something new that betters all of us."

That something new is a brand new wireless standard in the form of a product called Apple AirPods. The new W1 chip offers consistent playback that only starts playing when the pods are in your ear. You can double tap a pod to access Siri.

Both iPhone 7 models are water-resistant up to 1 meter for 30 minutes with an IP67 rating. Both pack new stereo speakers at the top and bottom into the same slim body as the 6s.

Aside from being splashproof, the iPhone 7's marquee feature is a dramatically improved camera. Both the 4.7-inch iPhone 7 and 5.5-inch 7 Plus have a wider f/1.8 aperture to capture more light, 6-element lens, high-speed 12-megapixel sensors, quad-LED True Tone flash, a new sensor to compensate for flickering lights, wide color capture, and optical image stabilization. The 7 Plus, as long rumored, has two cameras, both 12-megapixels, with two lenses. One is wide-angle, and the other is a 56mm telephoto lens. Both cameras have zoom.

Shallow depth of field, called bokeh, is something you can usually only achieve with a DSLR's full frame sensor or a giant lens. The 7 Plus camera accomplishes it easily—just tap the new Portrait option in the iOS Camera app coming in a free iOS update later this year to preview it automatically.

The 7, which now comes in black and jet black (matte vs. glossy) in addition to silver, gold, and rose gold, is moving from a mechanical Home button to a solid state Force Touch button with a Taptic Engine so you'll feel vibrations when you press it. Apple is opening the Taptic Engine to third-party developers with an API.

The iPhone 7's water resistance and overhauled camera are its marquee features, but the headphone jack removal is sure to be Apple's most controversial move since the switch from 30-pin to Lightning connectors back in 2012 (probably moreso). Apple sold adapters separately for $29 back then, but this time around the company is including an adapter in the box.

mooncaine

Thanks! ;D I asked myself often, during the past year, if I were better off switching to an iPhone because my Android phone fails utterly at a few basics, like showing me my reminders, or even a stinking Undo feature.

But now that it's confirmed, no headphone jack on iPhone, I can finally rule it out. More money to spend on guitar. Appreciate it!

( . )( . )

Lol - I still have to use an adapter from my 4s to my 6 Plus for some external devices. I love Apple products, but I don't love the way they make you buy new accessories when you upgrade.

Elantric

http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/this-might-be-the-adapter-that-you-need-if-you-buy-an-iphone-7-642229

It feels like, already, more has been written about Apple doing away with the headphones jack on the iPhone 7 than any of the device's new features, but the story still has some way to run.

People quickly realised that, although Apple will include a 3.5-mm audio adapter in the box, the fact that this plugs into the Lightning port means that you won't be able charge your phone or plug in a peripheral (a MIDI controller, for example) at the same time.

However, Belkin has come up with what looks like it could be a solution to at least one of these problems: the bafflingly-named Lightning Audio + Charge RockStar adapter, which is basically a £35/$39 hub that turns one Lightning port into two. This enables you to plug in your Lightning headphones - or Lightning-to-3.5-mm adapter - and a charger at the same time.

This is sort of good news, though we're not sure if the adapter would help if you want to plug in some headphones and a USB controller at the same time. The Belkin website states that the device "supports one Lightning Audio device and one charger only," so using the second Lightning port for anything other than charging might be a no no.

Even if it does work, you might still end up needing not only the Belkin adapter, but also the 3.5-mm audio adapter that came with your iPhone 7, and a Lightning-to-USB adapter, both of which would plug into the Belkin one. That's three adapters in total - hardly an elegant workaround.

Apple is also offering a solution of sorts, too. The iPhone Lightning Dock sits on your desk and, as well as charging your phone, offers Lightning and 3.5mm audio ports. However, it's not portable, so is no use if you want to make music on the go. It costs £49/$49.

These are the options we've seen so far, but there are sure to be more on the way. Could a single Lightning-to-3.5-mm-jack-and-USB-and-Lightning adapter be on the cards? Let's hope so.