Positive Grid BIAS FX (IOS)

Started by mbenigni, April 14, 2015, 07:47:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GuitarBuilder

Can anyone confirm that the MIDI function is still working for BIAS FX under 9.1?  I can't seem to get mine to respond.
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

Elantric

All my friends with IOS 9, 9.1, 9.2 all have problems with MIDI hardware no longer working

I'm sticking with IOS 8.4.1 - it still works

I apply this concept with all my operating systems -

Who else wants to upgrade first?

Elantric

PG finally has "MIDI" as a help topic here

http://help.positivegrid.com/hc/en-us/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&query=midi&commit=Search

QuoteBIAS FX IOS HELP
Live View
Control Pad

We separate control pad into several parts, the first 4 block in first row is preset part, you can switch on each preset very easily. the first 4 block in second row is control part, long press on the block allows user to choose its control function:

MIDI Learn : Set MIDI to this block
Toggle Pedal : Turn on/off for specific pedal
Toggle Fx Category : Toggle on/off status on specific category
Tap Tempo : Set the bpm by tapping on the block
Splitter Channel Select : Select channel on dual path
Stick on board : Turn on if you want to keep the assigned switch alway on the board
Signal Path

Pedals is not allowed to change its sequence in Live View , but you can tap on it to turn on/off effects.

GuitarBuilder

Geez - the grammar is so bad some of it needs Google Translate!  Or maybe that's what they used..... ;D
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

marcwormjim

New update launched yesterday. I can't download it; as I'm sticking with 8.4.1 until PG is confirmed to have hammered their turd back into shape. Waiting to hear 9.2 users' feedback.

admin

There is communication on latest status on BIAS FX IOS9 pops and clicks here:

https://www.facebook.com/positivegrid/?_rdr=p

Elantric

POSITIVE GRID SALE
https://www.positivegrid.com/promotions/
MEMORIAL DAY SAVINGS
SPEND TIME ON CREATING MUSIC
SAVE ON THE BEST GUITAR AND RECORDING GEAR

MAY 20TH THRU JUN 1ST

jassy

Nice sale... but bias fx mobile is not iphone compatible? strange because jamup pro is an universal app.

edit: just read this whole thread and yes its not iphone compatible. Hope in a future it would be.

Smash

Got my iTrack yesterday and finally up and running with Bias FX.

Initial impressions are good but not blown away - might be me but everything sounds lacking in the low end - no grunt. only auditioning on headphones at moment but AKG K550 which have some nice extension. Cleans also sounding a bit twee.

Love the tone cloud and almost instant auditioning of tones before downloading - works really well although quite a few were just overblown on output levels and causing digital distortion which is odd. Hard to cherry pick from a sea of average patches though.

Finding I'm having to run in ultra low latency as otherwise the very slight lag bothers me a bit. It's only fractional but enough to detach me a little. Very happy with ultra low latency mode though.

Now it's a case of programming. Been listening to Yona Tonestack demos and don't know whether it's me but they seem to have a better spread - I shall purchase and see how it compares... Feel quite at home with the dual routing on both as per VG99

Idiot class 101 - how on earth do you change the amp model in a patch? I can delete add FX etc but can't seem to figure out how to swap amps! (and I bet it's really simple)

Elantric

I think you must own "Bias Amp" first,  to change Amps in "Bias FX "

Smash

Ahhhhhhh....OK. yes that kinda makes sense. Doh!!

Just downloaded Yonac Tonestack and just based on tweaking first preset I suspect it will be my mainstay over Bias. It immediately sounded richer/fuller to me. Very nice. Got it running at 64 on the buffer and great response.

Elantric

I also prefer Tonestack with all Motherloads

Headless68

I find I use them both all the time  - Tone stacks poly pitch shift is way better but I like the overall amp sound better in Bias - In my opinion these are the best 2 iOS guitar FX/amp programs.
Look out for the deals that come up to get the motherload - think I paid something like £20, bargain.

Smash

What I will say is it's nice to be exploring new gear and having those moments where you just latch on to a sound and lose an hour you didn't intend to!

Haven't tried the fishman yet - so many synths!!

Smash

So swapping amps in Bais FX - not intuitive! turn the amp off by flicking like FX pedal then hold finger down on amp to get option to change to whatever amps you currently have as part of pack.

Smash

Bought Bias Amp on Memorial day deal - wow - how many options!! But strangely a lot of the high gain stuff sounds generically similar - where it seems to excel for me is crunch/blues tones - there's some fantastic SRV stuff be had. Definitely higher latency than Tonestack.

johnnyninja

Quote from: Smash on June 17, 2016, 01:07:18 AM
But strangely a lot of the high gain stuff sounds generically similar

I feel the same way. Maybe it's me, but the high gain amps seem to all sound very similar. Of course some of them have a slightly different character but not enough to motivate me to use them much. The cleans and edge of breakup are much better. Overall an excellent practice tool that's convenient when you need it. Although I gravitate to my gp10 and rk5 much sooner.

I wish I could get a more satisfying high gain tone from Bias. It's funny that this is the core sound the app is mainly marketed for. It must be me ???

Smash

Wonder if core distortion is the same and it's just cab tonal stuff layered on top?

They do seem to have nailed that tube 'rattle' on the distortions.

I need to go from a blank patch and build something up...

Elantric

QuoteDefinitely higher latency than Tonestack.

Agreed - and ToneStack really improved its sound after release of the Yonac Tonestack Motherload 2.0, add the built in recorder and MIDI control features makes Tonestack my #1 choice

Dont discount Line-6 Mobile POD 2.0. Now that they allow it to use any USB Audio interface  the price is worth it.

I still find Ik Amplitube sits a few rungs lower,  - despite all the added features last year (Cab mic placement, Looper, etc.) I find better tones in ToneStack, BIAS FX, Mobile POD 2.0.  Jamup pro 

Smash

Wasn't aware of Line 6 POD mobile - s'all new to me! -  will have a good look at it. One quick q. how's latency c/w Bias and Tonestack?

I must admit I was surprised how off putting I found the latency in Bias before putting it in ultra low latency mode

If anyone can give me an idea of blocks to use in Bias Amp to "build" a Rivera era Superchamp I'd be stoked beyond belief as that is a holy grail tone for me!

jwhitcomb3

Quote from: Smash on June 22, 2016, 03:24:23 AM
Wasn't aware of Line 6 POD mobile - s'all new to me! -  will have a good look at it. One quick q. how's latency c/w Bias and Tonestack?

I must admit I was surprised how off putting I found the latency in Bias before putting it in ultra low latency mode

Thanks to Elantric's tip, I also tested out the Line 6 Pod Mobile 2.0 app. I was pleased to see they offer more granularity in the latency setting, which brings it down to a negligible 2-4 ms. I wish Bias FX provided this, as my iPad Pro can certainly handle smaller buffer sizes than their current lowest latency setting provides.

Been playing with ToneStack and Bias FX quite a bit, using a MOTU MicroBook IIc as an audio interface. For me, Bias FX is getting more eartime. I find ToneStack overly bright without seriously rolling down the tone/presence controls, making those controls nearly useless. I also like that Bias FX lets you globally adjust the output processing to selectively remove the preamp, power amp, and/or speaker sim so you can use the same presets whether using the iPad as a front end to an amp, in an effects loop, or as a direct box to a PA.

I just mapped my Korg NanoKey Studio http://www.korg.com/us/products/computergear/nanokey_studio/ to Bias FX, letting me select 4 presets with the bottom four pads, toggle individual effects with the top four pads, and then assign 2 knobs to each of four effects. The KAOS pad also provides some fun cross-fading options, for example, gain and volume on a boost or overdrive effect, or delay/feedback on a digital delay. Loving the wireless MIDI via Bluetooth LE. I hope the next generation Boss devices incorporate this. I'd love to control a GP-10 via MIDI over Bluetooth. Now if Korg would just make a MIDI Bluetooth foot controller...

marco_AMMT

Quote from: Elantric on July 24, 2015, 03:44:59 PM
You are hearing the poor noise floor I described in my own testing of the IConnectAudio4+ here:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10419.msg110514#msg110514

I'm not finding much to love about the IConnectaudio4+ - it has a poor noise floor and simply does not provide the same output drive voltage level or the superior audio performance I come to expect from pro gear  -

like the Focusrite Scarlet USB series or

Focusrite iTrack Dock
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10364.msg74766#msg74766

For BIAS FX,  You would be better off with a Roland UA-22 Duo Capture EX and run 1--% Battery power
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13225.msg96647#msg96647

Or iRig PRO

or Line-6 SonicPort VX

Read my evolving efforts on what works and what doesn't here:

How to configure iPad to use 24 bit USB Audio / USB MIDI + TriplePlay on Battery power
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10323.0

I can run this rig 100% on Battery power ( using a PowerAdd Pilot Pro  = $129 Amazon) and I'm very happy with the tones, and low noise
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DN0KBXU?psc=1

The BlueBoard's External Expression pedals are very sluggish due to the MIDI over BlueTooth Wireless connection.  The KMI SofStep2 direct USB connection to Focusrite iTrack DOC provides much faster expression response, without the "out of sync delays when  rapidly moving a connected EV-5 Expression Pedal.

Thats the iConnectAudio4+ on AC power - matches my experience with that hardware too.

Hi Elantric, i've exactly the same rig: Guitar > Input instrument of Focusrite Itrack Dock > Ipad air1 with Bias Fx > Output of Focusrite Itrack Dock > Amp's return or mixer + PA. I do not have huge issues with ground noise but i'm courious about your experience with the battery power as opposed to the standard DC power supply. Do you reccomand this option (battery power) to minimize the ground noise? Is it worth +100 euro for this solution?

By the way, i'm happy with my rig thnx bias fx but also thanks to this great forum!

Thank you

admin

Battery power is useful for unteathered mobile use and yields lower noise and lower hum when recording vintage guitars with single coil pickups

marco_AMMT

Does the same apply to humbekers on newer Guitars? I'm not in the need of run untheatered but i can consider this option if the noise ground is significantly reduced. Thank you! 

Headless68

Warning - the latest update released yesterday to fix the digital noise issue from the fix before now causes the app to crash when changing patches - I played a gig last night & it happened about 10 times in a 2 hour period