Line 6 Mobile Pod now supporting all audio interfaces (with IAP)

Started by supernicd, November 26, 2014, 02:10:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

supernicd

The Line 6 Mobile POD app for iPad/iPhone can now work with other audio interfaces not made by L6.  The app is free but it's a $20 IAP to unlock it for non-L6 devices.  It's about time they did this!  I'm tempted to say it's too little too late but, I'll probably pick it up, as I like some of the L6 models, and it would be nice to have them fit in my pocket.  They included some built in riffs so that you can download and try it out with the various amps & FX.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mobile-pod/id475002772?mt=8

Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

Elantric

Far too late and Zero remote MIDI control  = Zero interest from me  -
http://line6.com/supportarchivenew/thread/90083

Same goes for Bias Desktop for PC/Mac - No ability to control settings or change amps via MIDI Control makes both of these Amp Sims useless  non starters for live use

supernicd

Yeah, the lack of MIDI control is a bit disappointing, especially given that this is a mature app from a major music gear manufacturer.

Truth be told though, I have no current aspirations of using iPad apps as my guitar amp and FX boxes in a live situation.  I'm plenty happy to carry my VGuitar gear to those.  I use the iPad apps for recording and practice, so MIDI is more of a nice to have for me.  Always interested in hearing how those who do use iPads as their guitar MFX live are faring though!  I'm sure its the future, but it's not my present. :)

My "too little too late" is centered more on that for the purposes I use these kinds of apps for, I've already accumulated lots of them (AmpKit, Amplitube, JamUP, BIAS, Tonestack, etc.).  I could probably replicate all the tones in this one using another app, and I doubt the amp modeling in Mobile POD sounds better than BIAS.
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

Elantric

FWIW - Line-6 recently released a major refresh of the IOS version of Mobile POD -
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mobile-pod-guitar-amps-effects/id475002772?mt=8

Mobile POD 2.0 is an all new app for guitar amps and effects:

Free to existing Mobile POD and Sonic Port family audio interface owners

NEW MODERN USER INTERFACE
The new UI combines ease of use with fast interaction, and features a flowing, dynamic layout that readily adapts to any iOS screen. Updated ergonomics offer immediate on-screen access to all parameter settings and simultaneously allows for precise editing with a single finger. Model 'key colors' are tied to parameter controls and amp/effects icons have been streamlined, offering easy readability at a glance. This new approach is inspired by other award-winning Line 6 products such as our flagship modeler, Helix.

New user inter face featuring:
• Modernized look and feel
• Improved editing control
• Drag and drop amp & effects
• Eight effects for use in any order
• New patch management
• New music player with looper
• Riff playback
• Signal flow animation

Gurbz

It isn't controllable through midi, is it possible to save states or create presets in audiobus and make it controllable? No succes yet when trying.
Grtz,

Gurbz

Frankenstein GK2-A strat/VG-88/GP-10/Cube 80XL/M-audio black box/Heritage guitars/Hook Amps/ Boss ME-5/Boss ME-8/Boss GT-3/Boss GT-5/Pro co RAT 1987/ Meris pedals/ Ton of eighties rack gear

admin

Quote from: Gurbz on January 22, 2019, 12:54:12 AM
It isn't controllable through midi, is it possible to save states or create presets in audiobus and make it controllable? No succes yet when trying.

if you seek an IOS guitar amp sim which supports extensive MIDI control
Use Yonac Tonestack

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=11669.0

Gurbz

yes, Yonac is awesome but I like this line6 app also so I was wondering if I could get it to do something it wasn't supposed to do.
Grtz,

Gurbz

Frankenstein GK2-A strat/VG-88/GP-10/Cube 80XL/M-audio black box/Heritage guitars/Hook Amps/ Boss ME-5/Boss ME-8/Boss GT-3/Boss GT-5/Pro co RAT 1987/ Meris pedals/ Ton of eighties rack gear

Gurbz

In a freaky moment  ::) did some research in manipulating the line 6 app.
It is a closed app so not externally controllable except....

when using IOS Preferences->General->Accessibility->Switch control, it seems possible to manipulate the preset switching externally.
Create a setlist of tones, starting with the same symbol and you're able to switch presets in the scanned area. (workaround but still..)
However: when assigning guitar wing buttons (bluetooth midi) they get recognized as potential external switches but they will not work when activating switch control. Till now it only works with an bluetooth keyboard or switch.
So I/m investigating which midi data will do the trick... (midi to keystroke?)

Cheers,

Gurbz
Grtz,

Gurbz

Gurbz

Nailed it! ;)

Line6 mobile pod presets are switchable wireless. I admit: a nerdy workaround but it is a stable and good sounding app.

Grtz,

Gurbz

Gurbz

So I've learned that almost every app can become midi controllable with IOS. (Not fully but enough to switch presets or turn effects on/off) :o And pretty reliable once an ios device is put in kiosk mode. Being a guitar player it does't feel solid though, am I gonn try this on stage? On the other hand: I 've seen bands stop their shows because the laptop (light show) crashed and waited for at least half a hour before continuing on stage...
Grtz,

Gurbz

Gurbz

Perfecting this now with ios recipes and custom gestures instead of item scanning: fast and solid preset switching, 10 banks x 10 presets is a 100 presets midi assignable. Ironing out some problems concerning the stompbox mode. IOS switch mode is amazing.
Grtz,

Gurbz