VG-99 - Only getting two states from Ribbon/D Beam, not MIDI CC

Started by dysamoria, September 30, 2015, 12:57:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dysamoria

Hello folks,

i'm trying to use the D Beam and the Ribbon controller as an external MIDI continuous control source, so i can use these controls on the VG-99 to control things in Logic (like synth parameters). Logic learns the MIDI port and the control, but it only works like a toggle. Top of the ribbon is max and bottom is min. That's when using "RIBBON POS", by the way (not RIBBON ACT).

What am i doing wrong?  ???

dysamoria

Nevermind. Figured it out. i thought i'd tried these settings to no avail, but i tried again.

In Logic's Controller Assignments panel, under Value, the following must be the case:
Format: Unsigned
Mode: Direct

It doesn't choose these by default when Leaning the incoming CC for some reason. i don't have this problem with knobs, so i guess there's just a difference in how the MIDI data works between these kinds of controls.

Elantric

AFAIK - the VG-99 Ribbon has many internal FX it can control - but very limited MIDI CC# transmission

Nobulusprime

I'm struggling with the ribbon control for midi also. I was hoping that it would perform as a pitch bend wheel, but I can only get it to perform chromatically... Can the ribbon control work like a pitch joystick and have no cromatic effect?