Loving the Kustom PA50!

Started by mbenigni, July 15, 2013, 09:12:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbenigni

Impulse buy this weekend:  https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3207.msg64955#msg64955

Sounds much better than anticipated with my Kemper, and it's a really elegant little practice set up.

Toby Krebs

Thanks. I had wondered about those little guys for small gigs/practice. I may have to pick one up for guitar synth use.

mojo thorne

I recently got one of these when MF was offering $20 off of any $99 purchase. 

I'm using it now to preview my GR-55 patches at home.  The PA that we use resides at the singer's house which is about 45 minutes away from me, so I needed something with at least relatively flat response to set up the patches so that we could spend our time actually playing at rehearsal.  I didn't like having to sit in the sweet spot to use my studio monitors for this, and the PA50 is small enough to fit inconspicuously on a bookshelf.  I'd be apprehensive about trying to judge the quality of patches that require deep bass response, but for most of what I'm doing, it's worked out great.

For $80, it is a steal, and I may get another one down the road to use as a small stage monitor so that I can leave the one at home set up (I'm also using it to playback loops when using my normal amp rig).

greekjgg

GC has these on sale again for $70 each,...would a pair be a good option to run my GR55? Currently I have the tech 21 power engine 60 but was looking for something lighter. I basically would use for practice and stage volume during shows.
Setup:
Homemade EVH Frankenstrat with built in GK3
GR55
Rocktron Talkbox
TC Helicon Voicetone C1
Tech 21 Power Engine 60

mojo thorne

I didn't see your post, and just put that in the deal alert thread.  Seems that the $70 price doesn't start until March 1 though.

I like the speaker very much, and it will definitely be adequate for practice.  It may have trouble if you use synth patches that require very deep base response, but for what I've been using it for... guitar tones, acoustic guitar, pads, flutes, etc, it's been great.

It's use for stage volume depends on the other instruments present.  These things are great for what they are, but they will not compete with acoustic drums or they typical gig-worthy guitar amp.  I have used one as a monitor at shows where I was the only instrumentation.  I wouldn't want to rely on it to cut through a full band.

greekjgg

Quote from: mojo thorne on February 21, 2014, 02:18:25 PM
I didn't see your post, and just put that in the deal alert thread.  Seems that the $70 price doesn't start until March 1 though.

I like the speaker very much, and it will definitely be adequate for practice.  It may have trouble if you use synth patches that require very deep base response, but for what I've been using it for... guitar tones, acoustic guitar, pads, flutes, etc, it's been great.

It's use for stage volume depends on the other instruments present.  These things are great for what they are, but they will not compete with acoustic drums or they typical gig-worthy guitar amp.  I have used one as a monitor at shows where I was the only instrumentation.  I wouldn't want to rely on it to cut through a full band.

What about a pair? I use a 10" speaker now in my tech 21 power engine 60 and it's more than adequate. My thought as a pair of the pa50s.
Setup:
GR55
Rocktron Talkbox
TC Helicon Voicetone C1
Tech 21 Power Engine 60

mbenigni

If at all possible, get into a store and listen to one for yourself.  Or buy with assurances ahead of time that you can return it if you don't like it. 

I can't say whether you'll have sufficient volume to gig, even with a pair of these.  I'm inclined to agree with mojo, that these are better for practice or solo work.  Throw a drummer in the mix and they will sweat.

I also must stress that while I think they complement amp sims very well, they are far from flat. Recorded music does not sound great through them, so you may also find that some synth/sample patches are compromised.

But I still love mine with my KPA. Bought 3 of them the last time they were this cheap.  Keep 'em scattered around the house LOL.

greekjgg

That's the goal I think. Sounds like maybe doesn't have quite enough bottom end but compared to what I hear on my tech 21 now, may not be a big deal. Does the pa50s have pass through? I use the tech 21 as just stage volume but have been ok with with that since it has pass through from the xlr input so the crowd hears the gr55 uncolored.
Setup:
GR55
Rocktron Talkbox
TC Helicon Voicetone C1
Tech 21 Power Engine 60

mbenigni

QuoteDoes the pa50s have pass through?

They do have an XLR out which I assume is meant for daisy chaining to other monitors, but I have never used this feature myself.

greekjgg

Quote from: mbenigni on February 24, 2014, 06:59:10 AM
They do have an XLR out which I assume is meant for daisy chaining to other monitors, but I have never used this feature myself.

Would this be separate vs xlr out that you would use to take to the mixing board? Instead of micing my amp/monitor, the sound guy just plugs in a xlr cable from the amp to the mixing board. Makes it pretty easy
Setup:
GR55
Rocktron Talkbox
TC Helicon Voicetone C1
Tech 21 Power Engine 60

mbenigni

Quote from: greekjgg on February 24, 2014, 07:04:44 AM
Would this be separate vs xlr out that you would use to take to the mixing board? Instead of micing my amp/monitor, the sound guy just plugs in a xlr cable from the amp to the mixing board. Makes it pretty easy

Here's a link to a brochure on the PW50 (which is the PowerWerks equivalent of the same product - I don't know who bought whom or what the deal is... confusing.)

http://www.powerwerks.com/page/PW50-20.aspx

Note the link to the owner's manual at the bottom of the page.  From that manual: 

Quote9. POWERLINK OUT: This balanced XLR Jack accepts the POWERLINK input from another PW50 using a standard mic cable. Channels from both PW50's are summed together. Use the channel volume controls to get the mix of the 6 channels (If a channel is not used turn the volume all the way down). MASTER volume controls the loudness of the mix through its PW50. It does not affect volume of linked PW50. This jack may also be used to connect the PW50 to a power amp with a balanced line input. Note: The shield connection (pin 1) on this jack does not connect to chassis ground. It is lifted.

Stands to reason you could run this straight to the board.

solo624

Just curious how this sounds with modeling , distortion , cranked and with an aux input for backing tracks etc. Do you still use it ? I can't find many videos on people using this amp . Any advise would be appreciated . Thanks in advance.