Roland Cube 80xl burning smell

Started by If6was9, September 19, 2014, 05:09:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

If6was9

Every time I connect my GT 100 to my Roland Cube 80xl, after a while the amplifier emanates a burning plastic smell (could it be the speaker coil?): the smell gets stronger as I increase the GT 100 output signal. Usually I run a jack cable from GT 100 L/Mono Output to Cube's clean channel, disabling the preamp in the GT effect chain and using the distortion and the other effects and I must say that sound is amazing. Occasionally I connect the GT 100 output(s) to the Aux In of the Cube, in this case I switch on the GT preamps (Output select: combo return).
Now, I don't get this burning smell when I connect my guitar directly to the amp, so I guess that the GT 100 overloads the Cube...
Is this possible?

Elantric

Have your Roland Cube 80 XL inspected and checked by an Amp tech or a Roland  service Center ASAP.
You have a problem brewing.

If6was9

Hi Elantric, thanks for your reply.
I'll soon take my Cube to an authorized service center, anyway, do you have any idea of why this thing happens when I use the GT 100 and never happens when I go straight to the amp with the guitar (even when I crank up the volume)?