VG-99 - Robben Ford "Help The Poor" or "Modified Fusion Blues"

Started by aliensporebomb, December 19, 2012, 08:27:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aliensporebomb

PATCH NAME: Pod - Help The Poor

Version: 1.00

Category: Lead

Style: Blues/Blues Rock

Description: Strats on fire - more aggressive than the Robben Ford tone I must admit - another one for "vocal lead guitar" - back off the gain for less of a rock tone.

FileType: mid

Keywords: Robben Ford, The Pump, Blues/Rock Lead, Singing Lead Guitar Patch

This one is kind of misleading since Robben Ford's tone on this doesn't really sound much like this - but I liked it for a sort of vocal bluesy/rock type vocal lead tone - back off on the volume knob to give you less overall gain and more of a clean type of tone.  Feel free to edit and use a humbucker type guitar for a more rock thing or a single coil with less gain for a more bluesy/jazz type tone.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

aliensporebomb

Update:

I realize that when I uploaded this I had my GK levels set to default since I hadn't completely finished getting my VG-99 back to my usual settings after a patch wiped my unit.  I restored everything from backup but realized that the GK levels reset back to 65 which was way too high IMO.

When I put everything back to 22 this patch became MUCH more dynamic - I set my GK volume to 4 for clean tones where pressing harder drives the unit into distortion and then cranking the GK volume up towards 7-10 gave longer singing tones.

And it's not really a "help the poor" tone at that levels, it's something else entirely but it's too broad to give it to one artist.

I'm pretty convinced with this patch - really useable for not just blues but rock and anywhere in between.  Higher gain it does tend to have a Marshall tonality but clean-ish it's more fendery.   With subtle EQ you could smooth it out or roughen it up.  Or drop tune it for metal tones with higher gain. 

Check it out, I was amazed.  MP3 forthcoming.

First part of the track is GK volume at 4 - I gradually increase to 7.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

rolandvg99

Great vibe on this one. I've listened numerous hours to "Talk to your daughter" and it's more down to the fingering than the actual amp sound. Robben has some "finger-sqeeze" in his tones and I think you've captured that beatifully in your examples. Great patch Todd.
To V or not to V: That is the question.

My little Soundcloud corner

stuki

I love the sound of this patch in the recording but when I download it into my VG-99 I hear no sound. Looked @ control assign but could't find anything.   thx
again, great sounding patch and playing on the recording.

Stuki

Elantric

Aliensporebomb's uses a VG-99 with the  FC-300 MIDI foot pedal, and the Expression pedal on the FC-300 is required to be toe down  to make a sound with his VG-99 patches.

Use VG-99 Editor's SMF Import, and load Aliensporebomb's VG-99 patch in VG-99 Editor
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=7554.0;attach=6328
and modify the FC300 Control Assignment.