Digitech Trio / Digitech Trio Plus

Started by Elantric, February 03, 2015, 04:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chumly

Quite remarkable, I guess I'll find out tonight if it talks nice to the hardware; I've also purchased Band-in-a-Box with RealBand 2016 and it will be interesting to see what comparisons / differences can be made and if there is any way they can play in the same sandbox.  One thing for sure, it's quite possible to surround yourself with machines to the exclusion of human interaction, and this may be a dead end of sorts.
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

billbax

Got my Trio+ from Andertons UK about 10 days ago.

Well, this is a great unit! Had about 20 hours play so far, and the pedal is instant gratification.

Only a couple of gripes...

1. Trio+ will not recognise off-beat chords played in 'teach mode'. 
2. Internal effects are extremely basic, and certain to make your band sound very poor.

Other than that, the Trio+ has got me interested in playing again and that's enough for me. 
Rough Trio+ mp3 demo below...mistakes, warts and scabies...it's all in there.

See you,

Bill

nervoteso

i would like digitech make a multieffect pedal including trio - looper- effects -amp simulations.

KuRi

Hi!

just received my trio+... any method to copy parts??? I cant believe we can't copy parts to have a base to start with!

theimagedoc

Reviving an older thread (after reading all 5 pages) because I just found out about the Trio+ and I'm doing my due diligence before purchasing.

Now 5 months down the road from the last post (on 05/09) how do y'all feel about the Trio+ pedal ? ? ?

Based on all the responses here (and other sites I've researched) does anyone know if DigiTech has plans to release a NEW Trio+ model anytime soon? (Perhaps with separable signal routing, DAW connectivity, better software integration for managing songs / parts, etc.)

Washburn SBF-80 + GR-55 + GK-3

gumbo

Beautiful forgery, Uncle Bill !

What are you like on 10 Pound notes ?? ( ....you can leave off the word 'copy' )   ;D

Cheers,
Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

theimagedoc

Well - I bought one a couple of days after my post above (no substitute for direct experience) and I can see both sides of the coin now:

If you're just a regular person (like me) who doesn't gig, doesn't have a band, and doesn't even have friends to play with regularly, but you're a capable player with songs in your head, this box is an incredible creative upgrade from jam tracks and loopers. If you're an experienced player, with lots of time playing in bands, you may not find as much appeal in this unit (as I do.)

If nothing else, it's definitely a valuable practice tool, and simple to use once you play with it a little while. I had so much fun just messing around with it right out of the box, I put down two new songs (totally-off-the-cuff) even before I tried to setup songs that I've had stuck in my head for nearly 20 years. The most valuable feature for me (based on my playing style and rhythm preferences) is to select the simplest bass line (yellow light I think?) and enable the Alt-Time (top right.) That usually returns a nice funky / shuffley sort of vibe.

Also, the audio quality and sound styles are so good (IMO) that I find myself legitimately experimenting with accompaniment styles that I would normally not be interested in, because I don't play those particular genres. (eg. metal, e-pop) But for the simple folk-chill sort of stuff I enjoy, these less familiar (to me) styles can be very interesting behind my playing.

For anyone out there still considering this purchase, here's the best summary I can provide...

Imagine playing alongside a drummer and bass player who are technically accurate but not very experienced. They bring limited "creativity" to the practice session but they can play lots of different music styles, and you can totally depend on them to do exactly what you ask them to do, exactly when you ask them to do it - which is super enjoyable and convenient for musical exploration. That's the first level. At the next level, this pedal moves you into the world of song arrangement; something most of us with limited (or no) real band experience seldom workout completely. In those terms, its like primping in an audio mirror - lol. You can quickly lay down complete songs (up to five separate parts, arranged in any sequence you like) and instantly see where your music (and specifically your playing) deserves more attention before stepping out - even if that only means playing live for friends or family, or doing a little home-based recording.

Personally, I'm now in phase-3 of ownership: Sitting back and really working on how this unit can be used most creatively alongside my existing equipment...
Washburn SBF-80 + GR-55 + GK-3

nervoteso

i would like to use trio with boss gp10, how can i plug it to gp10 without having trio sound be affected by boss effects? i'm trying to use send and return but sound quality is poor, when i record using looper.

i also would like to use boss outputs (headphones or outputs).

utensil

Quote from: nervoteso on October 24, 2016, 05:20:52 AM
i would like to use trio with boss gp10, how can i plug it to gp10 without having trio sound be affected by boss effects? i'm trying to use send and return but sound quality is poor, when i record using looper.

i also would like to use boss outputs (headphones or outputs).

have you got the trio or trio+?

nervoteso

utensil

I have a similar setup to what you're looking for.

I use the following connections

Guitar GK Out<--> GP-10 GK IN
GP-10 Guitar Out <--> Trio+ Guitar In
GP-10 Line Out (Make sure to set your output in GP-10 settings, lineout/phones works fine for me) <--> Trio+ FX return
Preferred Trio+ Output to Mixer/ PA/ headphones. I usually use the headphone output.

This sends your guitar without amp and effects to the trio for setting the progression etc, but the looper on the trio will capture your playback from the FX return.

nervoteso

Quote from: utensil on October 24, 2016, 08:37:15 AM
I have a similar setup to what you're looking for.

I use the following connections

Guitar GK Out<--> GP-10 GK IN
GP-10 Guitar Out <--> Trio+ Guitar In
GP-10 Line Out (Make sure to set your output in GP-10 settings, lineout/phones works fine for me) <--> Trio+ FX return
Preferred Trio+ Output to Mixer/ PA/ headphones. I usually use the headphone output.

This sends your guitar without amp and effects to the trio for setting the progression etc, but the looper on the trio will capture your playback from the FX return.

hanks but i would like to avoid to use trio outputs. i would like to use gp 10 or other device outputs

utensil

Not sure how you would do that, the only way I can think of is to send the trio back into the aux in or regular guitar input, if you did either and wanted to record a loop on the trio+ via the FX return, it would also include the output of the drums and bass of the trio (unless you figured out some fancy routing). Maybe someone else has this working the way you have in mind. I am using the aux in of the GP-10 to use an iPad for synths and the Trio+ is last in the chain so captures all the parts as intended.

nervoteso

i use trio + plugged to aux in of tc electronics voicelive and it is working fine (i can have drums without effects and record loop), however it is not working with gp10 and i don't know why

pedwards2932

Found a Trio on Amazon for $70 figured what the heck would be good for practicing anyway.  I haven't received it yet but have downloaded the manual and it looks pretty easy to use.  Is anyone using these for live performance or just mainly for practice.  Seems adding songs on the fly would be hard in live situation. 

pedwards2932

Well got my Trio from Amazon and have to say condition was very much like new or never used.  I can answer my own question as to this is great for practice but not sure I can see anyway to use it live because there is no way to save.....can't believe they didn't have that on the original.  If what I am seeing is correct on the Trio+ you can only save 12 songs per card not sure why you can't save more than that.  Anyway I'm having a blast using it for practice.  One thing I am going to try is to use my looper to "load" a song to the trio as it would make it easy to reload it when needed.  Getting the chords in precisely can be difficult but if I got it right once with the looper then could use it to reload when needed and keep it saved on my looper.

diecairo

You will excuse me but do you really think 12 songs are a small amount for that box? Is there any pedal of the same size and price that can do more in 2016? Anyway, if not enough: each of the 12 songs can have five different parts. But since parts can have different tempo in the same song, that is per se a memory slot with five internal individual slots, you could use each part as a song on its own. So if you really need it you can have 12x5=60 songs. Just saying, because I don't know if someone already pointed this out.
By the way, you had a great idea to use the looper to teach the progression to the trio. I didn't think of it. Maybe that can also help in synchronizing an external looper with the trio. Smart. I will try that also, thanks.

pedwards2932

Since the pedal is essentially a hardware version of BIAB and SD cards can be pretty large, 128 gigs or so yes I think 12 songs is pretty small if you were trying to use it in live performance you would have to bring multiple cards.  In BIAB the only input you make are the chords to the song which is essentially what you are doing with the Trio.  They are using the Automatic chord recognition, which is part of BIAB as well.  I am not diminishing how cool this unit is just saying 12 songs would still make it difficult to use in live performance.  I have BIAB and it can do everything the pedal can do and a lot more but I wouldn't want to take my laptop to a gig but Trio could possibly be worked in using a looper in conjunction with it.

diecairo

Of course a stomp box can't be a daw. And can you confirm that BIAB can do automatic chord recognition in real time? It seems to me that you have to feed it with a pre-recorded track, that it will then analyze. And again, if you want the trio+ can store 60 different parts that can be 60 songs, each with their recorded loops and overdubs, apart from drums and bass lines whose style you can still change. Storage is not an issue, while the missing of push chords, or upbeats sadly is.
Another downside is the lack of a master output volume. Headphone output has it, but when engaged it turns off both mix out and amp out, so you can't feed the amp with live playing and the mixer with bass and drums, everything goes to the headphone out in that case.

supernicd

I picked up Trio+ last week and thought I'd record some first impressions.  So far it seems to excel at what I purchased it for, which is to make practicing licks, leads, riffs, solos and technique WAY more fun.  The convenience factor of the hardware, as well as a natural way to set the progression/tempo for the song (by playing into it) means that it will likely get used a lot.

I tried setting it up with a very small/minimal configuration the first time using just the Trio+ and a Blackstar ID:Core 10 amp.
Guitar Out <--> Trio Guitar In
Trio Amp Out <--> Blackstar Guitar In
Trio Mixer Out <--> Blackstar Line/MP3 In

This worked pretty well except for one thing.  After training the band and then recording a rhythm loop, I wanted to give my lead guitar sound a gain boost, maybe add some delay, etc.  I was surprised [and I guess I wouldn't have been surprised if I'd thought it through a bit more] to find that any adjustments to the Blackstar's panel also affect the looped guitar.  So really the only way to add some gain to the live guitar sound is to kind of cheat and turn up the gain on the amp panel and then turn the loop volume on the Trio down a bit. Works OK, but won't work for adding, say, delay to just the live guitar.

Second configuration I brought in the GP-10.
13 Pin Guitar Out <--> GP-10 GK In
GP-10 Guitar Out <--> Trio Guitar In
GP-10 Left Output <--> Trio FX Return
Trio Headphone Out <--> Blackstar Line/MP3 In

Of course in this configuration the Blackstar ID:Core 10 just becomes a clean(ish) power amp, and the GP-10 does all the heavy lifting in terms of modeling and effects.  But the GP-10's wet signal gets recorded into the guitar loop, so the sound can be changed with each overdub and when playing live.  Much more satisfying and in line with how I intended to use it.  I haven't tried it yet but I think this could also be pretty fun with the GR-55 - could add all sorts of sampled instrumentation to the loop.

Overall, the Trio+ seems very easy to use.  I can see why people complained about the obnoxious bass lines prior to the most recent firmware.  When you let it go full steam ahead, it can kind of take the song a direction you don't want to go.  Fortunately, there are two bass reduction modes now, the strongest of which just reduces it down to whole notes on the 1 of the measure.  Which is kind of boring but works consistently well if the other two modes are too much.

After a couple hours use, so far very pleased with this little box.  Will try to report back after spending more time with it.
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

pedwards2932

BIAB can't do real time chord analysis which is why I got the Trio.  I got this version mainly for practice as I think BIAB is much better for making backing tracks (it can do push chords and has real drums and real bass options).  I have only worked with the Trio a little bit so I am still discovering what I can do with it......if it pans out I may get the Trio+ as it has more potential for using it in live performance, the Trio as yet will work as a practice tool.

tbeltrans

Question about the Digitech Trio+ firmware....

The download firmware upgrade release notes indicate MCU: v1.4 and DSP: 3.0

I downloaded the updater and ran it against my Trio+.  It indicated on my Trio+: MCU: 1.0 and DSP: 3.1.

If the Trio+ is anything like the embedded projects I typically have worked on in my own career, the MCU version should not really matter unless/until it is not compatible with the DSP firmware because it is most likely the boot image which would also facilitate loading DSP firmware updates.  Does anybody know if this is true for the Trio+?

What is the difference between the v 3.1 firmware for my DSP vs the 3.0 of the download update?  Obviously, 3.1 is a later version, and x.1 would probably be a minor update for a bug fix rather than a feature add.  That is just a guess, again based on the work I have done for my "day job".

Thanks,

Tony

Carbonius

Is there any way to get a schematic for the Trio Plus??

I want to disable "speaker cabinet emulation" when using the headphones out. The headphones out gives you stereo bass & drums, but then is applies some type of "speaker cabinet emulation" to the guitars signal. I want to run an acoustic through this, so I don't want an electric guitar cabinet eq on the signal. I want to run one stereo 1/8 TRS to dual RCA cable, then into an AUX input.

I may be in over me head, but I thought I just need to bypass wherever "speaker cabinet emulation" is on the circuit board... or install a switch to have it on/off.

supernicd

I wish they'd put some kind of switch on there to disable this too, since my guitar processor is already applying speaker/cabinet sim.

I haven't seen a schematic anywhere.  You could contact Digitech.

I guess a workaround might be to feed both the amp out and mix out into a mixer, which would send both signals without a cab sim, then mix them and use the mixer's headphone out.
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------