VG-99- Foot volume via FCB1010 - by never zero?

Started by pycraft, December 19, 2015, 12:42:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pycraft

I've been setting up my VG99 to run with my FCB1010 Uno.  However, I've encountered a problem, that seems to reside with the 99 rather than the 1010.

Specifically, I've repeatedly tried to set the minimum foot volume level to zero, which initially holds.  But whenever I then use the foot volume, the minimum level goes to 10 - meaning the signal never actually fades out.  I've had more success setting the 1010 to control patch level instead, and would be happy with that except that it makes the actual patch volume control redundant - you can't adjust the patch volume on the fly as it always resets to whatever the control is set to.

Any thoughts?

alexmcginness

Heres the fix. Havent tried it with the VG-99 but it fixed it with my Avid 11 rack. It starts at 14:00 into the video.

VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

pycraft

Life moves slowly in the Pycraft household, but as I've finally managed to get this working 2 1/2 years later, I thought I'd report back. 

I tried the fix described in the youtube video (thanks Alex), but it turned out to be wrong (at least on my FCB).  It's based on the idea that the reason the value won't get to zero is because the LED is too bright.  However, when I applied a cover to the light source the range went from 20-127 to 78-127.  It seems that the scale is inverted - that is, maximum darkness equates to 127 and maximum brightness equates to 0.

With that in mind, I tried pushing the LED closer to the sensor, and making sure that the LED lens was pointing towards the measuring point on the photodiode.  Result - success, with zero actually arriving slightly before the end of travel (which is fine with me).

vtgearhead

Sorry for raising an obvious point:  Have you run the firmware calibration for pedal limits? 

admin

Get a third-party midi monitor and verify the fcb1010 foot controller is actually transmitting midi CC 7 values between 0 and 127.
Details

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2975.0

What you describe looks like you're only transmitting between 10 and 118.
You have to calibrate those fcb1010 expression pedals first
http://host.mtnsys.com:81/faq-fcb/PedalCalibration.htm

alexmcginness

Quote from: pycraft on May 24, 2018, 01:47:58 AM
Life moves slowly in the Pycraft household, but as I've finally managed to get this working 2 1/2 years later, I thought I'd report back. 

I tried the fix described in the youtube video (thanks Alex), but it turned out to be wrong (at least on my FCB).  It's based on the idea that the reason the value won't get to zero is because the LED is too bright.  However, when I applied a cover to the light source the range went from 20-127 to 78-127.  It seems that the scale is inverted - that is, maximum darkness equates to 127 and maximum brightness equates to 0.

With that in mind, I tried pushing the LED closer to the sensor, and making sure that the LED lens was pointing towards the measuring point on the photodiode.  Result - success, with zero actually arriving slightly before the end of travel (which is fine with me).

I had to noodle with mine until I got it adjusted properly, but now that I do, all is good.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.