VG-99 + GR-30 - Hearing Both Units Through One Speaker

Started by ConstruKction, September 15, 2015, 04:17:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ConstruKction

Hi all.

I recently acquired a GR-30, and would like to use it underneath the VG-99 for piano sounds.

I connected the GK into the VG-99 and hooked up a MIDI cable from VG-99 MIDI OUT to GR-30 MIDI IN, and connected a 1/4 jack from the VG-99 to my speaker.

The thing is, I cannot hear the sounds of GR-30 unless I connect the speaker to the GR-30, but then I cannot hear the VG-99's sounds.

I've gone through the MIDI section of the VG-99 manual, but it doesn't seem to mention any hints on amplification of VG-99 + external synth units together.

Am I missing something?
By the way, I didn't exactly know where to make this topic, but I ended up posting in the VG-99 section since the VG-99 is kind of the "master controller" in this setup. Sorry if I misplaced it.

Brent Flash

Each unit is a sound source, they both have to be plugged into an amp. Or mixer / amp.

ConstruKction

I see. Well, I have a smaller speaker connected to the GR-30 now, while the VG-99 to the bigger one. It's not an ideal situation since both speakers have a different timbre, but until I can get two equal studio monitors, I'll keep doing that.

Thanks a lot!

Headless68

I'm using a 99 & a 30 together (& a vg8 too) I run each one into a stereo mixer then take single stereo out to amp (JC120)
All sounds good - the thing I find is that the 99 & 8 play really nice together - but the 30 less so because you have to adapt playing style for that and that then does not sometimes suit the V's
I tend to fade to the 30 use the synth then fade back to the V's - if it wasn't for the piano (which is great on the 30) I probably wouldn't bother with it (as a live use tool)

Headless68

..... Also - you will be triggering from the VG-99' pitch to midi - I reckon the GR-30 is actually better at this task - I'm using a GK splitter in front so I can go into both (check out codesmart's pedals on this forum GKPX-14 is most excellent for this )

ConstruKction

Whaaa seriously? I'm surprised!

The tracking of the GR-30 is exceptional! And triggering it from the VG's pitch to MIDI seems to work equally well.
It even somewhat tolerates my low C. The VG's COSM synths would just simply glitch and interrupt my sound... The GR-30 at least keeps it clean and fades it out cleanly, too. Not much playing style adaption was needed, if none at all.

It is whenever I tried to trigger a softsynth via the VG, things would always get messy and unbearable.

Don't get me wrong, the VG-99 is still head & shoulders ahead of the GR-30 in my book, but for piano, trumpet, shamisen, fretless bass (especially fretless bass!), it's a miracle of the universe.

Also, love the GKPX-14 suggestion. Definitely gonna look into that.

Elantric

QuoteAlso, love the GKPX-14 suggestion. Definitely gonna look into that.

Many use a Roland US-20 GK13 A/B/Y Selector
http://www.roland.com/products/us-20/

Elantric

to run both in Mono

Feed VG-99 Left Main Out into the GR-30's "Guitar Return"jack  - then GR-30 Left MIX OUT jack feed into your Amplifier.
http://cdn.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/GR-30_OM.pdf

ConstruKction

ConstruKction

Although one thing I noticed today is that the pitch glide doesn't work when controlled by the VG-99.

I'm having a hard time logically explaining this, since Wah, Hold, and Arpeggiator pedals work as intended.

13-pin ----> VG-99 ----MIDI data to GR-30----> GR-30 manipulates the MIDI data (e.g. pitch bends/creates wah effect).

So in theory pitch glide should just work.

Elantric

You owe it to yourself to try a Roland US-20 A/B/Y GK 13 pin switch box or equivalent

You get lower latency and full use of all the features on the connected GK processors

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=72.0