VG-99 - New VG-99 Owner

Started by scratch17, April 22, 2015, 02:27:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scratch17

I just got a VG-99 on the 'bay with an FC-300 and RAD-99.

I plan to use it in a number of different ways in my project studio.

• as an alternate tuning front end for my Kemper and Mesa rigs
  • as a pre-amp feeding one side of my 20/20 power amp
  • as a standalone source
  • with my RMC Fanout box

I'll use the RMC Fanout box to split the output from the 13 pin GK cable. I'll send this to my audio interface to print 6 tracks in my DAW. Then I will return each track from the DAW individually to the VG-99 through the Fanout box. I'll experiment with individual VG sounds on each string, printing back into the DAW on new tracks.

I have been wanting a VG-99 for a while, and cannot wait until it arrives.
Hamer Duotone, Brian Moore i213, Taylor 710 BCE 

VG-99, FC-300, RMC Fanout
RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
68 Fender Bandmaster (AB763)
Marshal AS80R

UA Apollo X6, Twin X, Logic Pro, Luna, Melodyne Studio

Headless68

You - are in for some serious fun - it's a fantastic box of tricks
Check out the patch exchange there are gems to be found and hack to your pleasing :-)

scratch17

Hamer Duotone, Brian Moore i213, Taylor 710 BCE 

VG-99, FC-300, RMC Fanout
RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
68 Fender Bandmaster (AB763)
Marshal AS80R

UA Apollo X6, Twin X, Logic Pro, Luna, Melodyne Studio

CodeSmart

Driving to pick up my "new" VG-99.
This will be fun :D
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

Headless68

whippinpost91850

CodeSmart

Quote from: Headless68 on August 05, 2015, 12:01:43 PM
...about time :-)
So many things aligned. I haven't seen a VG-99 for over a half year in the popular domestic sales portal. A VG-99 is very hard to find in Sweden.

This morning while my wife was driving for us to visit our daughters, I did a search and there it was, in the very small town I grew up in which we would pass two times today. I sent an e-mail and I picked it up on the way back home.

It turns out that the seller lives in the same house my wife cousin used to live in, is a U.S. returning luthier and been building double-neck guitar for Brak(E)man here on this forum (who now lives just an hour away). The luthier now works as wood work teacher in the same school I went to as teenager.

I think this VG-99 unit was ment for me ;D

Elantric

What a great story ( and small world!) - this VG-99 was destined to be yours!
QuoteSo many things aligned. I haven't seen a VG-99 for over a half year in the popular domestic sales portal. A VG-99 is very hard to find in Sweden.

This morning while my wife was driving for us to visit our daughters, I did a search and there it was, in the very small town I grew up in which we would pass two times today. I sent an e-mail and I picked it up on the way back home.

It turns out that the seller lives in the same house my wife cousin used to live in, is a U.S. returning luthier and been building double-neck guitar for Brak(E)man here on this forum (who now lives just an hour away). The luthier now works as wood work teacher in the same school I went to as teenager.

mooncaine

Congratulations, CodeSmart. You'll love it. It's far & away my favorite instrument so far, just amazing.

Bill Ruppert

That is fantastic!
The VG-99 found you!
I have never in my life felt so connected to a piece gear. It is as Bob Moog talked about being able to connect with a circuit on a different spiritual level. I am not kidding!
I feel its the best thing that has ever been created for guitar.
Congratulations and thank you for that great story!

Quote from: CodeSmart on August 05, 2015, 03:10:07 PM
So many things aligned. I haven't seen a VG-99 for over a half year in the popular domestic sales portal. A VG-99 is very hard to find in Sweden.

aliensporebomb

Great story and congrats! 

Remember - the VG-99 is as deep as the ocean.  I discover something new from it even time I play it.  It truly is a musical instrument in its own right.

Every time I sit down for a programming session I've found that sometimes it reveals its secrets to me in a particular direction I never intended - I'll seek out something particular and on the way it shows me "who's boss" and I get a totally different thing than I was initially seeking out.

If mine got lost / stolen / destroyed I'd have to seek out another.  There's literally nothing like it out there. The other thought is some of the patches I've programmed and refined over the years are part of my sound now - some of the sounds are key to the next record I release so it's crucial! 

Try some of the patches in the library here, quite a few talented programmers are here.  Use a patch as a "jumping off point" to see what you can create!
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

CodeSmart

Quote from: CodeSmart on August 05, 2015, 03:10:07 PM

Even better...this unit originally belonged to Brak(E)man. I've told him what I paid for it but he didn't tell me what he got for it when he sold it. Ha-ha!!!! ;D