loose gk3 vol?

Started by romero, August 14, 2015, 06:51:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

romero

Has anyone ever had an issue with the gk3 volume knob becoming loose, not just the housing but the solder joints or internal connection, I have been having an issue where my guitar sounds like the tuning is going crazy up and down and when i apply a little up or downward pressure to the gk3 vol knob it goes away, for now i just put a rubber band around it and tied around the housing and it is fine.

Elantric

Cold solder joints can occur when torque is applied over time   - take GK-3  apart and have a tech resolder the intermittent GK-3 Vol Pot to the internal PCB or take it to a roland service center.

romero

Thanks for the advice Elantric. Since i do my basic troubleshooting and tech work, I disassembled the Gk3 and found the solder joints and the mounting to be quite solid, i did notice the sound only warbles on the low E string mostly when fretted (kinda strange) i checked all the string connections, i found no change in sound but when applying pressure to the shaft it will stop warbling, should this shaft be tight? is my pot going bad? is this pot sealed or can i try to get some Co cleaner in it? any and all tips/advice would be greatly appreciated

romero

Ok. Contact cleaner did not work, but a little squeeze with pliers around the top of vol pot where the shaft comes out seems to have worked, It is harder to turn now lol, but the warbling is gone. So now it's time to order a GK3 kit for my main guitar and switch the newer gk3 ext to my Yamaha, then I can switch the vol pot out on the old one at my leisure as it will just be a backup or for parts