Pink Floyd's Comfortably Numb

Started by musical_edmond, February 07, 2014, 06:34:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

musical_edmond

Hopefully this shows off the versatility of the VG99.  This is from my 3 piece band.  All instruments other then bass and drums are the VG99.  However what I believe is special is that they're all played live (DI-ed with no overdubs) and all using just one VG99 patch, which I programmed from scratch.

- The intro has the VG99 produce an acoustic guitar on one side and a slide guitar on the other.  The latter is volume controlled from an FC-300 pedal which simultaneously raises the COSM slide's pitch.  The slide sound is only on the high top 'E' string and fed through VG harmony and VG long echo effects to give a dual-note sustained effect.

- The verse switches off the pitch control, still on the 'E' string with a long flutter echo.  Note how as the acoustic is strummed, occasionally hitting the 'E' string gives the desired dual-note slide sound.

- The 2nd half of the verse switches the slide to a synth sound on the 'E' and 'B' strings.  Again the acoustic and synth sounds are being played at the same time.  The underlying C-G-D-A chords and using my little finger for the synth line sounds like two separately played instruments.

- The guitar solos are mag pickups through two stereo panned VG amps and VG echoes.

- The synth in the 2nd verse is only on the 'A' string so it sounds like a solo line while strumming the acoustic. 

Please tell me what you think.  Happy to answer any questions.
Ed

tekrytor

Bravo! Very nice work. Excellent patches, playing, vocals, arrangement, and drums. You nailed it and demonstrate the versatility of the VG-99. Thanks for describing how you use the instrument and patches in such detail.
SY-300/BeatBuddy/VoiceLive 3/GR-55(v1.50)/33/1/50/700/VGA-7/V-Bass, Yam-G10, GPK-4, DIY X-Bee HighlyLiquidCPU "Cozy-Lil-Footie", FCB-1010, other MIDI stuff, Godin Freeway SA and various other GK equipped controllers, Sonar X1, Audacity, KXstudio, Misc devices

mbenigni

whippinpost91850

alexmcginness

Sonds amazing! Can you share the patches please.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

aliensporebomb

Well there you go - the VG-99 shows how versatile it is again in the right hands. 

Great programming, playing, execution.  Pretty cool on the lap steel parts in the beginning and the Gilmour-esque solos on the outro.

:)

I like the fact that you've stumbled on what I like to call "arrangement patches" - in other words a patch designed to be used to play a piece with multiple sounds seamlessly.  I've got a bunch of those and they're lots of fun to work out.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

supernicd

Now, how many hands do you have again? :)  Very nice!
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

musical_edmond

Many thanks for the supportive comments. 

I'll upload my patch (it's just one patch for the whole song).  It will need a description to explain what is mapped onto the FC300 pedals and when the pedal changes happen.  Although a long-time VG user, this will be my first upload so bear with me while I learn how to do it.

I have some other multi-function patches if anyone's interested.  I'll upload the songs and then the patches.  I'm also very interested in learning from those above who seem to have created their own complex patches.
Ed

alexmcginness

Ed, thanks for agreeing to upload the patch. I cant wait. This approach is a game changer for me. Ive been using my 99 for live work since 2007? and never imagined it would do this kind of stuff.

A mind that is stretched by a new experience can never go back to its old dimensions.
Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr.

Cant wait to see the mechanics behind your approach.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

Brent Flash

Quote from: musical_edmond on February 08, 2014, 09:42:43 AM
Although a long-time VG user, this will be my first upload so bear with me while I learn how to do it.
VG-99 patches are always in the .mid format. You will open the editor with the patch you want to upload and select FILE / EXPORT SMF / PATCH and save the file to a place you can find it. Once you have that then go to our patch area for the VG-99 and select the category that you want to have your patch in (ROCK, ACOUSTIC, ALT TUNING, etc.) Start a thread with a name of your choosing and attach the patch file (.mid) to the message. That should cover it. Let us know if you have any questions.  :)

musical_edmond

I've uploaded the patch as above.  I'll also upload MP3s of the song, one with the VG out front to assist in hearing what's happening.
Ed