Fender-Roland GC-1 GK-Ready Stratocaster question

Started by Bill Ruppert, January 18, 2012, 03:40:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tek

Quote from:  Elantric on October 06, 2014, 09:03:08 AM
We need someone to remove the pickguard of a stock Fender/Roland GC-1 and post pics of the underside showing the Single coils PU's used in GC-1

Stock Fender/Roland GC-1 pickups.
I just happened to have a picture I took this last weekend.
It looks like the same MIM "Roland Ready Strat" pickups to me...

Elantric

QuoteIt looks like the same MIM "Roland Ready Strat" pickups to me...

Agreed!

Its worth stating that the Stock GC-1 MIM Strat pickups (like all Fender MIM Strats) have a "Reverse wound / Reverse Polarity middle PU - so that 5 way PU Switch positions #2 and #4 are humbucking (no hum). 

pasha811

Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

snootles

Hi,

I have been toying with the idea of getting the GC1 strat but cannot find the answers to the following:

1) Does anybody know the finish on the maple neck? Is it Gloss Urethane or Gloss Polyester or somethng else?

2) The Roland site states that the neck is the same as the ones on the American Standard series. Is that still true?

I phoned Roland UK but that didn't have the answer to either question. If anydoby knows that would be great!

Thanks

Si 

Elantric

It's  a new design 22 fret Gloss finish of indeterminate material - it's Not Nitrocellulose Lacquer (like a real pre CBS 64 STRAT)

By contrast , older 2001-2011 Roland Ready Strats used a satin finish.

AFAIK Only the Tuners are USA.

The ones I have played seemed to have a higher attention to detail -but these were NAMM Show samples.

snootles

Thanks for that. So did they originally have American standard necks? Below is a quote off of the Roland sites blog page which suggests the neck is.

"These two guitars share some basic features. They both start with the same unique instrument: a "hybrid" Strat. It's mostly made from American Standard Strat parts: the alder body, 22-fret neck, frets, and tuning keys are the same ones found on every US Standard. The pickups and bridge are of the vintage type found on old Strats, and now used in Mexican standard Strats, so it's a hybrid. They come in two cool colors: a hand-painted three tone sunburst with a rosewood fingerboard, and black with a maple fingerboard."

I can't get to play a GC1 before I buy. Is it a good quality neck?

Elantric

As with any mass produced guitar, there will be occasional duds  - but the GC-1 I played seemed to be a fine instrument -   
But review the pics )

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ROLGC1

This is what they advertise to Dealers:

http://cms.rolandus.com/assets/media/pdf/gc-1_training_guide.pdf

FEATURES_____________________________________________________
The Roland GC-1 GK Ready Strat offers legendary Fender tone and classic  styling, with a built-in Roland GK pickup system to drive 13-pin compatible  products directly from the guitar's onboard controls.
* Built in Roland GK pickup system and controls.
* Fender authorized and made Stratocaster
* The physical design of the guitar is similar in spec to an American  Standard Stratocaster, but is assembled in Mexico. The "Synchronized  Tremolo" bridge and pickups are the only parts that differ from the  American Standard series.
* 3 ceramic single coil pickups, for classic Fender tone.
* 22 fret neck, modern "C" shaped neck curve, 25 ½" scale length and American 6- inline Tuners.
* All guitar parts made in America, assembled in Mexico.
* Synchronized tremolo with high-mass bridge block (based on the
original Stratocaster trem but with more mass for better string
vibration.)
* Shielded body
* Medium jumbo frets, considered by many the most comfortable to play.
* "Cool factor" vintage style cosmetics: tinted neck, parchment pick guard and '70s-style headstock logo.
* Includes Fender Premium Gig Bag w/Roland V-Guitar logo
* 2 models available: Hand-painted, 3-tone sunburst/rosewood fingerboard (GC-1-3TS) and black/maple fingerboard (GC-1-BLK)
* The original and iconic Stratocaster sound everyone knows and loves!

Elantric

Check your inbox here for Group Buy deal on GC-1

mbenigni

QuoteI can't get to play a GC1 before I buy. Is it a good quality neck?

I've played exactly one GC-1 so take this with a grain of salt:  IMO the overall fit and finish are great, the neck is really nice, the fretwork is OK (a couple of rough edges in dry weather, but nothing out of the ordinary for a mid-priced strat.)  I personally think the stock magnetic pickups are a little lame, but that's easily remedied.  My only real complaint about the specific GC-1 I received is that it's extremely dark sounding.  I'd guess the body could have used a couple more days drying in the kiln before it was sprayed, and in a perfect world it would have been sprayed with fewer coats.  It's OK amplified, but when I pick it up it doesn't seem to want to talk; it feels kind of "smothered".  I've joked that if I stripped it down to wood, left it in the sun for a couple of days, and bolted it back together, it would be twice the guitar it is now.  I don't know why Fender was in such a damn hurry to paint these bodies - I can't imagine they were running out of strats??

As for playing one first, check out the group buy deal and then talk to the vendor on the phone.  In my experience they're very reasonable about returns.  Cost of shipping is on you, but that's a pretty minimal risk for an opportunity to see whether you like the guitar.

Elantric

QuoteMy only real complaint about the specific GC-1 I received is that it's extremely dark sounding.

Thats mostly due to the tonal characteristics of the typical MIM Strat pickups with their P90 style design with Bar magnets as shipped on all GC-1s and old Roland Ready Strats.
( on the left in pic below)

Contrast with the traditional Strat type pickups on the right .

Myself I like the Fender Vintage Noiseless Strat PU set - Vintage spank and no hum   

mbenigni

Quote from: Elantric on October 15, 2014, 11:23:04 AM
Thats mostly due to the tonal characteristics of the typical MIM Strat pickups with their P90 style design with Bar magnets as shipped on all GC-1s and old Roland Ready Strats.

I wish this were true, but I can hear/feel the difference even if (in fact, mostly if) the guitar is unplugged and I'm playing it acoustically.  I also own an older Roland Ready strat -stock pickups - and the two guitars are night and day, with the older one being much brighter.  This despite the older the guitar having a rosewood fingerboard and the newer one being maple!

Elantric

Its true the wood and moisture content makes a big difference too  - lighter  / less moisture content wood body guitar will ring and be brighter.

When i was at Ernie Ball  / music man - we built 6 identical guitars - only difference was wood type   - Ash, poplar, basswood , with  or without a maple cap - but all had identical pickups and necks and scale length  -- yet the tonal differences the wood type used was quite noticeable   

petestuff

i have a Fender Roland GC-1 Strat and a Boss GP-10 both of which I bought earlier this year. I have been having great fun with both. I am new to this level of technology an find what is possible amazing. My only complaint is only having 1 "fx" block on the GP-10, it could do with 2, I like to use an overdrive and tremolo at the same time.

Anyhow the reason for my post is that I had not played for a couple of weeks and this evening when I plugged the guitar in the magnetic pickups on the Strat were much quieter, almost inaudible, when using the 13 pin GK cable, synth/modelling sounds are fine. If I plug the Strat into the GP-10 with a standard 1/4 inch cable the magnetic pickups are fine, normal volume.

I have not changed any settings in the GK pickup setup page on the GP-10. I know you can cut or boost the magnetic pickup signal here. If I boost to the maximum 20dB it gets closer to the synth/guitar modeller output but I have not had to do this before the 2 were always quite balanced with no boosting necessary.

Also the 3 way toggle switch between magnetic pickups and synth output is noisy when switching, a definite electronic click is audible through the monitor speakers the GP-10 is connected to.

I want to be able to isolate the problem and see if I can fix easily or look to a warranty repair if not. I only have one GK cable so I may buy another as a spare anyway to rule out the cable being at fault.

I would welcome any advice on  how best to narrow down where the problem might be.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Pete

Elantric

All known Schematics are in this thread

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73.0
QuoteAnyhow the reason for my post is that I had not played for a couple of weeks and this evening when I plugged the guitar in the magnetic pickups on the Strat were much quieter, almost inaudible, when using the 13 pin GK cable, synth/modelling sounds are fine. If I plug the Strat into the GP-10 with a standard 1/4 inch cable the magnetic pickups are fine, normal volume.

Sounds like a bad 1/4" Output Jack. If it's switching contacts goes weak it will not transfer at zero ohms.

Replace it by ordering a Fender Twin Reverb Input jack (same part#).

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5173.msg83658#msg83658
And understand that the GC-1's 1/4" output jack is a unique switching jack - anytime you insert a 1/4" plug into the GC-1's 1/4" "Normal PU Output"  jack  - this isolates removes and all the normal passive Strat Electronics signal output from entering into the GK Internal activebuffer and removes the ability to send normal mag PU tone down Pin #7 of the 13 pin Cable

Important maintenance threads for all GC-1 / Fender Roland Ready Strat owners are here:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8287.0
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6980.0
[/i]

scheater5

So I'm thinking about a GC-1, and I have a couple questions:

1) Which GK is in it?  I thought I read that the RR-strats all had Gk-2a, but I think someone in this thread mentioned a gk-3? 

2) I read on another forum that installing a wilkinson trem "ruined the tracking."  I'm going to be using my gc-1 almost exclusively for modeling via a GP-10 - will replacing the trem screw with that? 

All the reviews I've been able to find on forums are from circa-2008, and they're trashing the GC-1.  All the reviews I can find on retail websites are from 2013-2014, and they're all glowing endorsements....

Elantric

Quote1) Which GK is in it?  I thought I read that the RR-strats all had Gk-2a, but I think someone in this thread mentioned a gk-3? 

The old Fender Roland Ready Strat used a GK-2A Internal - and GK Type is set to "GK-2A"

The recent Roland GC-1 uses a "GK-3" compatible Gain Structure, and recent products like Boss GP-10 have a dedicated "GK Type for "GC-1"  - older processors simply set GK Type to "GK-3"   

Quote2) I read on another forum that installing a wilkinson trem "ruined the tracking."   

The Roland GC-1 ships with its Mexican Strat Trem Set for downward whammy bar use.

Its true a Full floating Tremolo will spoil the Guitar to PCM and Guitar to MIDI Tracking, due to the classic "Diving board" sound  ("Boing-Boing) pitch quiver that occurs on every hard pick/plectrum strike of the string.

Many folks Block the Tremolo or add a Tremolo Stabilizer - like the SuperVee Mag-Lok.

QuoteI'm going to be using my gc-1 almost exclusively for modeling via a GP-10 - will replacing the trem screw with that?

Boss GP-10 COSM Modeling works just fine with Floating Tremolos  - no issues

scheater5

Will that "diving board" sound screw with modeled guitars, if I don't use it for synth instruments? 

Which is to say, does it have to track the note cleanly to model guitars and do slight tuning shifts (half step down, drop D, etc)? Or can it accurately model the tone, "boing boing" and all? 

Thanks for the edit partially answering this - to clarify, I mean modeled guitars and tunings, not just FX.

Elantric

The Roland COSM Modeling will faithfully track and faithfully reproduce the "diving board sound" due to floating tremolo without problems.

scheater5

Thanks, Elantric, for following up with me.  I wasn't sure if the term COSM also referred to the guitar modeling in the GP-10, or just the FX.  Cool, so that makes a GC-1 seem pretty inviting, especially when you can get a wilky for <$100, and it apparently requires minimal modification. 

I was considering buying a MIM strat and modding it if the GC-1 still had the Gk-2a.  But if I couldn't even get a decent trem on it and still do guitar modeling, that would blow the whole deal out of the water! 
I've heard people say the MIM trems are a lot better now...but then ones I've played are still pretty janky.  Probably a hit or miss thing, and I don't have a large Fender dealer nearby (I teach at a mom'n'pop music store that gets a few in, mostly Squire, occasional MIM strat - not enough to wait on a "good one.")

Elantric

petestuff

Thanks very much for your reply Elantric. I think that is exactly the problem. I was trying various combinations and plugging/unplugging into the standard jack socket and 13 pin cable socket and it seems to be working normally again.
I will see how it goes and if the problem recurs change the input jack.
Thanks again.
Pete.

Moja

This PCB is a GK-2 type board. The GK-3 has an extra 2 pin connector ( ). And the GK-3 HEX PU cable connector is much smaller at 1.5 mmm pitch.

My GK-2 and GK-3 boards both have 820 Ohm and 10Kohm resistors for each HEX string op amps.

It baffles my mind that a new GC-1 uses the Old GK-2.

I would suggest following GR-55 manual and set it to GK-2 setting.

From detailed experience, the Internal GK-2A and GK-3 PCBs use two cables to connect to 13-pin connector. blue and white. However, the actual Signals are Totaly different of these .
     Here is my drawing. Comments very welcome.

Quote from: Elantric on June 28, 2014, 12:01:00 PM

Judging by your photo, and Looking at opamp gain set resistor component values ( R1 "821"=820 ohm, R2 "103"=10K ohm) on your PC board

http://www.hobby-hour.com/electronics/3-digit-smd-resistors.php

indicates you should use GK-3 setting for GC-1.

GK-3 Schematic

mbenigni

My "Black & White" GC-1, with the following upgrades:

- Black anodized SuperVee Bladerunner bridge
- Black Planet Waves self-cropping tuners
- Fender American Series string tree
- Black anodized jack plate and neck plate

I've commented on many occasions that I think this guitar is somewhat dark sounding.  I don't know whether this is common to all GC-1's or whether it is especially true of this one.  My guess is that it is a result of the woods or finishing process Fender used on these guitars.  It does not affect the amplified tone, but it is noticeable unplugged.  Otherwise, the guitar is an A+ for fit and finish and playability, and is set up per my own preferences with fully floating bridge.

Litesnsirens

So my other guitar player and I both play GC-1 guitars through GR-55s.  They only come in 2 colours the tobacco burst and black, and we were both thinking about getting our guitars refinished so that we have something a little different.  We aren't really thinking about anything fancy just another colour more to our liking.  Of course, if we can disassemble the guitar ourselves it's going to save money but after unscrewing that little cavity cover on the back I realized it doesn't want to come out.  It's recessed and either stuck to the paint, wedged in tight or glued in on purpose but it doesn't want to come out.  Has anyone taken one of these guitars apart?  If so is there a safe method to get that cover off.  I don't really know what is hiding underneath that cover.  maybe it would be possible to just mask it really carefully and leave that in tact?  Anyone have any ideas for this?

Elantric