GK pickup phase question

Started by NoahB, June 29, 2012, 08:47:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NoahB

What exactly is the system setting under gk settings pu phase for? I understand direction refering to how you instaled the pickup. And also the s1/s2 position. Phase says normal and inverse and s1/s2 says normal or reverse.what are these and what would be a situation I would use them in? Thanks
Jeff beck strat, GandL custom classic semi-hollow bluesboy tele,  mesa roadster, sy300 thru pair of peavey 15d powered pa speakers, big pedal board full of stuff.

gumtown

if you are blending your normal pu and the modeled tone, the normal pu could be wired out of phase in relation to the modeled tone, and would cause phase cancelling of the combined tones.

the s1/s2 reverse could be if you have a gk internal kit installed or a custom piezo guitar where the s1/s2 switch functions could be swapped if they are wired different from another guitar you are using.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

NoahB

Thanks for the info but I use my strat picup sounds mixed with several different guitar models in the gr and sometimes I'm running the real picups in and out of phase with eachother and the different modeled guitars modeling different rear, front, and combo settings. So I'm not sure I understand when to use this. I run my real picups to my mesa amp and the modeled sounds to my powered pa speakers does this make a difference? Is it for when you are blending them out of one amp? Sorry if I'm missing something obvious
Jeff beck strat, GandL custom classic semi-hollow bluesboy tele,  mesa roadster, sy300 thru pair of peavey 15d powered pa speakers, big pedal board full of stuff.

Elantric

The phase setting is a crucial setting.

Gumtown indicated one type use. , but traditionally this GK phase control element is provided to dial in the phase relationship of the GK hex PU vs your normal pickups. Not all guitars have the same overal phase polarity for the normal pickups.

To set this correctly, enable both COSM modeling tone and Normal Guitar pickups and feed the same amp using the Guitar Out jack  and change the GK PU Phase position for max audio output.

I know this is explained in the manual.

NoahB

Mix them from one amp or seperate? And by max output are u refering to setting it on which ever way is louder?

Elantric

Correct

Feed one Amp and enable both COSM Model tones and Normal guitar pickups, and play while changing the GK PU Phase setting.

Yes if both Normal pickups and COSM Model pickups are both at equal volume, when both are on at once,  the GK PU phase setting makes a big difference in volume

CrispyFunk

i was wondering about this option my self , i was thinking  with it out of phase it sounds more like a Telecaster  so i just change it depending on what kind of tone im going for. I change it all the time.

Elantric

Thats right = there is no right or wrong with this setting, but its important to know what it does.

With this set out of phase of your normal pickups , the subtle change in levels of each type pickup will impact the tone.

If it sounds good - it is good.

NoahB

O I see so its literally like playing normal guitar picups in and out of phase. Like the difference between positions one three and five, and two and four, on a strat. So is there a way to set it per patch then if it makes for two different usable sounds? Like can I have one guitar patch setup out of phase and one with normal phase?

gumtown

Quote from: NoahB on June 30, 2012, 11:13:57 PM
O I see so its literally like playing normal guitar picups in and out of phase. Like the difference between positions one three and five, and two and four, on a strat. So is there a way to set it per patch then if it makes for two different usable sounds? Like can I have one guitar patch setup out of phase and one with normal phase?
"GK Set Select" is by default set to system,
but GK Set's 1 to 10 can be chosen by patch if a patch is saved with the "GK Set Select" changed from system to one of the 10 GK setups.
Make some different GK setups saved to the system/global GK Set slots 1~10, then chose the approriate GK Set from your patch.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

CrispyFunk

oh wow,  what an awesome tip. i never even thought to use the gk sets  1-10 to be different for  each patch , i have a few other settings id like to make different as well , Thank you Gumtown  you gave me  some good ideas  to work with today