Review: The Peterson StroboPlus HD?

Started by lespauled, February 13, 2015, 10:46:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lespauled

Title  :  Really Peterson?  The StroboPlus HD?
http://www.amazon.com/Peterson-403867-StroboPlus-Handheld-Metronome/dp/B00BJ6MWBO/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1423854058&sr=1-1&keywords=StroboPlus+HD

Blurb:  I lost my strobe tuner when Hurricane Sandy created a tidal wave that basically flooded the North-East corridor of the U.S.  So after trying to do setups on a couple of new guitars, I knew that I needed another strobe tuner.  There is nothing like a Peterson.  Very reliable, and usually make like a tank.  I said usually.

I ordered the StroboPlus HD from Guitar Center, and it arrived quickly.  I was thrilled.....for about 10 seconds.  When I held it in my hands, and realized how crappy it was, I couldn't believe it.  It wasn't made like the previous models.  This thing felt like a cheap toy.  It was plastic.  They added a single plastic wheel on the front to dial through the options. 

There are several sweetened tunings available, and these are slight variations on the hard standard tunings.  To be honest, I really didn't hear a difference in the Sweetened Guitar tuning vs standard.  But that could just be me.

Peterson releases updates for the unit periodically, and you simply plug in the device, and run their software, and it will update the unit with the latest firmware.  Most of the updates are tweaks to the sweetened tuning options.

It has a large amber display that it easy to read.  I didn't try it in sunlight, but I doubt it would hinder the visibility. 

Reliability & Durability :  I was afraid that it would break quicker than my smartphone if I dropped it.  It seemed very cheaply made.

Customer Support :  Customer support seems to be pretty good.  In my case, I'm not talking about calling them with any issues.  I'm talking about the multiple updates that have been given for both units.

Liked about it : The standard Peterson strobe tuning that we've become accustomed to over the years.  Frequent firmware updates.

Didn't like :  From the moment I opened it, I hated the casing of this thing.  It feels like a toy.  I was positive that it would immediate break upon a short crop from my work bench or even my computer desk.  I would have had to go to the 1980 store, and get some horrible deep shag carpet for the floor, in order to feel comfortable using this thing without bolting it down to the table with clamps.

I also HATED the fact that I spent a ton of money on a toy, and was told that I had to play $49 more to activate the metronome functionality in the unit.  What is this? Shareware?  I can buy a phone app for $.99 that will do the same thing.  Are they kidding?

Overall rating: 3/10 and it ONLY got 3 stars because it's a Peterson.  The tunings work as they should. But the overall quality of the unit is crap.

Thankfully, I was able to return it and grab a VSS-C Stomp classic pedal tuner.  I'll post that review soon.

Elantric

Myself  - I typically use my Smartphone Strobe tuner on my workbench  - with equal results to a 1980 Conn / Peterson Strobe Tuner

Stroboscopic Tuner (Android)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.adamfoster.android.strobe&hl=en

Peterson iStrobosoft (iPhone/iPad)
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.istrobosoft.tuner&hl=en

And there are many free metronome apps for either smartphone

Last December I got one of these for live gigs and very happy with the build quality 

Peterson 403857 StroboClip Clip-On Strobe Tuner
- metal case and metal transport "can" for storage during transport in the gig bag  - survives getting moved  - and much better than a Snark!
and priced right at $65
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003WZ6VVM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

mbenigni

I have one of these old Conn strobtuners in my basement.  Great for "mad scientist cred", although I can't remember the last time I turned it on.  My TC Polytune in strobe mode is good enough for checking intonation.  (Good enough for my ears, anyway.)

Elantric

I still have one of these  - even made a mod , adding mod for five separate push switches for direct access to E-A-D-G-B at the live gigs in the 70's

mbenigni

QuoteI still have one of these  - even made a mod , adding mod for five separate push switches for direct access to E-A-D-G-B at the live gigs in the 70's

I'll bow out right there.  I know better than to get into an arms race with Elantric.  :D

whippinpost91850

I still own a 70's Conn Strobe and an early 80's Peterson. I still haven't found anything better. But I will give the Istrobe soft a try.