Kemper Profiling amp- "amp clone" beyond modeling!

Started by RicardoLove, March 02, 2011, 04:42:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scratch17

OK. I am now not confused. I need another Radial DI box that is specifically designed to take input from the speaker level outputs of my Mesa Boogie 20/20. That is the Radial JDX.

http://www.radialeng.com/jdx.php

It's $199.99 at Sweatwater.

mbenigni, once I do a Direct Amp Profile of my amp, I'll post it on the Kemper site for all to use.

There will many options with this new type of profile, depending on what you want to achieve and what hardware you have access to.

One way of using the Direct Amp Profile will be with the built in or an external FRFF amp that is connected to a guitar speaker cab. If you are using a profile that you made yourself with the speaker cab you are using, if Kemper has achieved what they set out to do, you should get a spot on recreation of yor tube head and cab, even though you're using a solid state amp.

But consider the creative possibilities of mix and match scenarios.

Say that you download a Direct Amp Profile of a Marshall DSL 100 watt head that was profiled with a stack of 4 x 12's. And you connect a 2 x 12 cab. I do not believe it is going to sound the same. Is that a bad thing? Not from my point of view. As a studio owner, I'm always looking to find new ways to create new sounds for clients.

Very little has so far been said of the Cab Maker 2.0 software's differences from the original version. The tidbit that caught my eye was that V 2.0 can import guitar cab impulse responses that can then be merged with a Direct Amp Profile. I read that to mean that the user that created the Direct Amp Profile will also be able to create an impulse response of the cab(s) he is using.

So as a one room Project Studio owner, I won't need a bunch of real guitar cabs taking up space.

No mention of how the IR file needs to be formatted. It might even be possible for Kemper users to use cabs who's IR response was created by a Fractal user. OK, that's not likely, but wouldn't that be a hoot?
Hamer Duotone, Brian Moore i213, Taylor 710 BCE 

VG-99, FC-300, RMC Fanout
RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
68 Fender Bandmaster (AB763)
Marshal AS80R

UA Apollo X6, Twin X, Logic Pro, Luna, Melodyne Studio

mbenigni

QuoteSay that you download a Direct Amp Profile of a Marshall DSL 100 watt head that was profiled with a stack of 4 x 12's. And you connect a 2 x 12 cab. I do not believe it is going to sound the same. Is that a bad thing? Not from my point of view. As a studio owner, I'm always looking to find new ways to create new sounds for clients.

I definitely agree with you on this.  Through many generations of amp modeling (hardware and software) I've observed that set ups with modeling pre's into guitar cabinets often sound better with cabinet simulation enabled, despite this being ostensibly redundant.  It's not really all that suprising when you consider how subtle the EQ and dynamic impact is within a speaker's effective frequency range, and the fact that above that range the fall off is so abrupt that the redundancy has no audible effect, i.e. zero minus zero equals zero.  Within the effective frequency range you have lots of minor notches etc. that are basically "seasoning to taste" when they are compounded between a cab sim and a real cab.

This very topic came up in a recent thread on the Kemper forum, where I posted the following, which you might also find interesting:

Nothing wrong with enabling a cab sim if you prefer the way it sounds with your real guitar cab. Depends on the profile and your guitar cabinet. A good alternative to disabling the cabinet block is to enable it, then select the "!Cab Bypass!" setting. At default settings this sounds identical to disabling the cabinet block (IMO), but it gives you the flexibility of using all the cabinet parameters: High Shift, Low Shift, and Character. I figure I'll use these if I buy a 1x12 and it isn't ideal for the Kemper + Camplifier right out of the box.

scratch17

The bottom line is as long as I, you (or your client) like the results, it can't be wrong. I hate it when forum posts go postal because someone believes that there is only one right way to do something. I've seen posts on the Kemper forum calling Direct Amp Profiling a "flaw". How absurd. If you don't like the results, go back to the Studio profiling approach.

I normally use my Line 6 L2Ms to power the Kemper. Since they are a power amp and speaker in a box I can't feed the Direct Amp Profile to the L2Ms and bypass the internal speakers to use a guitar cab with the solid state amps in them. So I must merge a cab profile into the Direct Amp Profile or I'll get horrible sound. That's a limitation, but it's based on my hardware, not the Kemper or its abilities.

I can always use a solid state amp to power a guitar cab. I'll just temporarily re-purpose the solid state amp I use for my studio's subwoofers. I can always pick up another amp if I like that sound.
Hamer Duotone, Brian Moore i213, Taylor 710 BCE 

VG-99, FC-300, RMC Fanout
RJM Mastermind GT10
Kemper Profiling Amp
Radial JDV Mk3, X-Amp
Mesa Recto Pre + 20/20
68 Fender Bandmaster (AB763)
Marshal AS80R

UA Apollo X6, Twin X, Logic Pro, Luna, Melodyne Studio

Elantric

JRR Shop has an order link for the Kemper Foot Controller

http://www.jrrshop.com/kemper-profiler-remote

Typically JRR Shop has numerous sales throughout the year - and I expect a future "holiday weekend sale" for this item

----

REMOTE

DESIGNED TO WORK SEAMLESSLY WITH PROFILER

Profiler Remote is the quintessential foot controller for your Profiler. We've spent a tremendous amount of time to create a versatile and yet easy to operate floor board. The tight integration in between Profiler and Remote allows you to control, administer and program without any knowledge about MIDI or delving through cryptic data sheets.

The large, illuminated display is designed to be looked at from a distance and Remote's housing is built like a tank. Just what the doctor orders for touring musicians on dark stages.

Five buttons allow you to directly access five different programs ("Rigs") and entire performance programs can be switched using a bank system. There are dedicated buttons to access the tuner, tap tempo in and enable the new, exclusive Looper Effect.

Remote connects via a single Ethernet cable to your Profiler. No extra power supply in needed and the included cable is 7 meters long (21ft). Longer cables are possible as well.

Up to four continuous foot pedals can control multiple parameters inside your Profiler. Four buttons switch of stomps and effects. The programming required is easier to learn than putting a new contact into your cell phone. Click to choose, assign, done.

THE LOOPER
There is something magic about loopers. Doesn't matter if you use them to create layered worlds of sound or to rehearse the complex middle-8 of your last composition.

With a single click on a button, Remote turns into a fully fledged Looper control station. Loops can be recorded, overdubbed and deleted by using the buttons on the board. You can reverse, halftime and undo takes. The maximum duration of a loop is thirty seconds. The Looper is exclusively available to Remote users.

PROGRAMMING REMOTE
Four buttons, which can be assigned individually for every program, can control multiple stomp effects at the same time. In order to associate an effect with a button, all you need to do is: Press a stomp button on your Profiler and hold the button of your choice on Remote at the same time. Done.

MADE WITH TOURING IN MIND
Remote connects to Profiler with a single cable. We are using a Neutrik® etherCON® connector to ensure the most robust connection possible on stage. By using a powered ethernet hub, distances in excess of 100 meters (300ft) can be bridged with a simple Ethernet cable.

CONTROLLERS AND SWITCHES
The four TRS connectors on the rear panel can be used for continuous controllers and switches. Each controller can be freely assigned per program. Multiple assignments per controller are also possible. Status color LEDs give you a great overview on assignments and purpose of a switch/pedal.

ADMINISTER OTHER EQUIPMENT
Remote allows you to control external MIDI gear by sending program change messages utilizing the MIDI output of your Profiler.

Elantric

Controlling Kemper by POD HD500

Controlling Kemper performance mode via Line 6 pod hd500 midi. It is not a 100% perfect midi controller but it does everything that I need in live session.

Can access to first 4 presets in your performance mode rig and switch on/off 4 stomp or effects. (5 if you want to use looper button as a cc toggle switch. I didn't use it since whenever I push looper the pod hd500 screen goes to looper mode) Tap button and Volume (or wah/pitch/gain controll/reverb,delay mix) works perfectly. Bank up/down button on hd500 can not be assigned as midi controller.

Would not recommend to those who are looking for a midi controller that can controll everything on Kemper. But for those who already have pod hd500 or 500x, are worth trying it.

Mastermind GT series - Way out of my price range
Liquid foot jr - Half price of Mastermind but still high price range
FCB 1010 Eureka - Good price but not my taste

TBH I have Liquid foot jr+ but hd500x did everything what I needed.

POD HD500X - Bought it around 410 USD for pre-christmas sale
Liquid foot jr+ - Around 700USD including accessories and shipping.

Elantric

REMOTE NEWS FOR EARY BIRDS

Dear -

The first Profiler Remotes will start shipping next week. For those who have ordered Remote already, we have great news for you. You will receive addition info including details on when your Remote will ship out within the next couple of days.

In case, you haven't put down your order already, please note that we will close the prioritized order for "early birds" like you on Friday, 06-March-2015.

With best regards,
The Kemper Online Store team

Kemper GmbH, Koenigswall 16-18, 45657 Recklinghausen, Germany
Handelsregister: Amtsgericht Recklinghausen, HR 4471
Sitz d.G.: Recklinghausen. Geschäftsführer: C. Kemper, T. Matuschowski

Check out our brands
Kemper Profiler Amps: www.kemper-amps.com
Access synthesizers: http://www.access-music.de

whippinpost91850

Yes! I got the email as well, looking forward to seeing if this thing does all that's implied 8)

merman93

Kemper users,... Public beta 3.0 is now available.
Ibanez RG 1520 GK
Ibanez RG 420 GK
Ibanez RG 920 (GK KIT)
Ibanez RGA 121 (GK 3)
Fender Deluxe Players Strat (GK KIT)
Roland GC 1/G 505/G 707
Hamer Phantom A7 (24 pin)
BX 13 (24 -13 pin converter)
GP-10
FishmanTripleplay (2)
VG 88 2.0
Apple Imac/Logic 9
MOTU Utralite 3
Kemper (2)
Gemini 2 Active FRFR

Elantric

All Kemper apps have been updated
http://www.kemper-amps.com/page/render/lang/en/p/221/do/Kemper_Profiling_Amplifier___Downloads.html
Kemper Profiler Firmware 3.0.0 Public Beta
This firmware introduces the following new features and fixes:

User Interface

- added: support of Profiler Remote including Looper and revised System menu (for details refer to chapter "Profiler Remote" in Reference Manual 3.0)
- added: new option of QUICK button allows to recall latest edit menu
- added: MIDI Output routing for two external devices and capability to send MIDI program changes in Performance Mode (for details refer to chapter "MIDI" in Reference Manual 3.0)
- added: MIDI CC #48/49 value 0 stepping Rig up/down in Browse Mode
- changed: time to load Slots within one Performance significantly shortened
- changed: faster switching between Rigs including same Amp and Cab Profiles
- changed: Direct Edit is permanent now. While one edit menu is open (e. g. Stomp A) pressing another Module button (e. g. DELAY) will not switch on/off that Module but instantly open its edit menu.

Audio

- changed: next generation Profiling incl. automatic detection of Direct Amp Profiles and the ability to merge Direct Amp Profiles and a Cabinet Profile into a so called "Merged Profile". Please read related article in Addendum 3.0!
- added: noise in Delay effects fixed
- added: "Aux In >Main" also feeding S/PDIF OUT

Factory Content*

WARNING: All Rigs included in this firmware have been stored in the new profiling format and are not downward compatible below 2.8.0 firmware!

- added: 49 Merged Rigs included in firmware also available as "Merged Rigs Pack"
- changed: all Rigs have been stored in new profiling format and are also available as "Factory Content 3.0".

* All Factory Rigs and Presets embedded in this firmware can be imported via function "Factory Rigs" in System menu. If you prefer to import Rigs selectively, please pick and choose from our Factory Rig Packs available on our download-page. All Rig Packs have been revised and have been migrated to new profiling format, which is NOT downward compatible below 2.7.4 Release!
http://www.kemper-amps.com/page/render/lang/en/p/221/id/27/cat/35/do/Kemper_Profiling_Amplifier___Downloads.html

Rig Manager

Revision required: 1.3.1

NOTE: In case the current firmware installed is older than 1.8.2 release you need to take an interim step and upgrade to 1.8.2 first, before you will be able to install current firmware. 1.8.2. Release can be found in category "Older Operating System Versions".

DownloadDate:2015-02-24File size:7.61 MB
Rig Manager 1.3.1 for Windows
Windows librarian software for Profiler.
The following operating systems are supported: Windows 7 32/64bit, Windows 8 32/64bit.

*** This version of Rig Manager requires Profiler OS 3.0 or higher ***

Download Changelog

DownloadDate:2015-02-10File size:32.83 MB
Rig Manager 1.3.1 for OSX
Apple OSX librarian software for Profiler.
The following operating systems are supported: OSX 10.7, 10.8, 10.9, 10.10

Download Changelog

DownloadDate:2015-02-10File size:13.57 MB
Cab Maker 2.0 Windows
This application converts impulse response files into cabinet definitions for the Kemper Profiler. Version 2.0 supports new content formats introduced in Profiler firmware 3.0
The following operating systems are supported: Windows 7 32/64bit, Windows 8 32/64bit.

Download Changelog

DownloadDate:2015-02-10File size:1.06 MB
Cab Maker 2.0 OSX
This application converts impulse response files into cabinet definitions for the Kemper Profiler. Version 2.0 supports new content formats introduced in Profiler firmware 3.0
The following operating systems are supported: OSX 10.7, 10.8, 10.9, 10.10

Download Changelog

Download

Elantric

Be sure to get the new updated KPA manuals too ( most of these are brand new - despite showing "stale" date codes from 2013)

http://www.kemper-amps.com/page/render/lang/en/p/221/do/Kemper_Profiling_Amplifier___Downloads.html

And new Rig Packs
http://www.kemper-amps.com/page/render/lang/en/p/221/id/27/cat/35/do/Kemper_Profiling_Amplifier___Downloads.html

whippinpost91850

Elantric, thanks for the update I havent made it to Kemper site today

Elantric

http://www.kemper-amps.com/page/render/lang/en/p/221/

Kemper Profiler Firmware 3.0.0 Release (Build 10856)
This firmware introduces fixes and major new features.

Download Changelog
-----------

KEMPER Profiler Firmware 3.0.0.10856 Release Notes
This firmware introduces the following new features and fixes:
User Interface
- added: support of Profiler Remote including Looper and revised System menu (for details
refer to chapter "Profiler Remote" in Reference Manual 3.0)
- added: new option of QUICK button allows to recall latest edit menu
- added: MIDI Output routing for two external devices and capability to send MIDI program
changes in Performance Mode (for details refer to chapter "MIDI" in Reference Manual 3.0)

- added: MIDI CC #48/49 value 0 stepping Rig up/down in Browse Mode
- changed: time to load Slots within one Performance significantly shortened
- changed: faster switching between Rigs including same Amp and Cab Profiles
- changed: Direct Edit is permanent now. While one edit menu is open (e. g. Stomp A)
pressing another Module button (e. g. DELAY) will not switch on/off that Module but instantly
open its edit menu.
Audio
- changed: next generation Profiling incl. automatic detection of Direct Amp Profiles and the
ability to merge Direct Amp Profiles and a Cabinet Profile into a so called "Merged Profile".
Please read related article in Addendum 3.0!
- added: noise in Delay effects fixed
- added: "Aux In >Main" also feeding S/PDIF OUT
Factory Content*
WARNING: All Rigs included in this firmware have been stored in the new profiling format and
are not downward compatible below 2.8.0 firmware!
- added: 49 Merged Rigs included in firmware also available as "Merged Rigs Pack"
- changed: all Rigs have been stored in new profiling format and are also available as "Factory
Content 3.0".
* All Factory Rigs and Presets embedded in this firmware can be imported via function
"Factory Rigs" in System menu. If you prefer to import Rigs selectively, please pick and
choose from our Factory Rig Packs available on our download-page. All Rig Packs have
been revised and have been migrated to new profiling format, which is NOT downward
compatible below 2.7.4 Release!

Tonemasterus

FYI
I tried to update to 3.0 and had issues with MIDI response when set to OMNI on Kemper(for CC's all my gear after Kemper), they said they will fix in a future update.  Just want to help someone avoid my frustration.

Dave

whippinpost91850

Thanks , I have a gig on Sat. I was gonna update on Sun ,but may wait till my remote ships May 21st

whippinpost91850

Hurraaaay !! And super excited... ;D I Just got notice this morning my Kemper Remote will ship this week.

mbenigni

Quote from: whippinpost91850 on March 10, 2015, 11:53:42 AM
Hurraaaay !! And super excited... ;D I Just got notice this morning my Kemper Remote will ship this week.

Congrats!

whippinpost91850

Thanks It's been a long time commin. I'll keep you posted as to how well it integrates with my GR55 when it gets here

whippinpost91850

Just got my Kemper Remote and unboxed it. It's very solid feeling. I'm gonna plug her in and see how she works and see if I can set up PC's for my GR55 ;D

Elantric

Before going further - be sure to update the Kemper to the latest Firmware first

They have a new public beta released Friday March 13, 2015

http://www.kemper-amps.com/page/render/lang/en/p/170/do/Kemper_Profiling_Amplifier___Downloads.html

Profiler Firmware 3.0.1.10908
This firmware introduces the following new fixes:
User Interface
? fixed: handling of old Amplifier Presets
? fixed: volume of Aux In into S/PDIF OUT now controlled via "Aux In > Main"
? fixed: potential software error when copying Amplifier Module
? fixed: receiving MIDI commands while channel set to "Omni"
? fixed: notes being displayed and "Mute Signal" flag being processed when Profiler gets started in Tuner
Mode
? improved: USB-stick compatibility and performance
Audio
? fixed: reliability of pasting cabinets, merging Profiles, and storing Merged Profiles
? fixed: crackles of Looper and Aux In during Rig change
? fixed: occasional sound anomalies after switching between Browse and Performance Mode multiple
times
Known Issues
? Direct Amp profiles not accurately recognized under specific circumstances. Intended Solution: Manual
selection of Studio versus Direct Amp profiles in preparation.
? Profiles can be corrupted, if other Rigs have been merged just before. Workaround: Always reload Rig
immediately before initiating profiling.

Hopefully by summer 2015 Kemper firmware will be stable and functional ( 3 years after purchase)  - and with less confusion and "unlearning" - I always felt like a Beta tester playing "Where's Waldo Today?"  everytime I turn it on.
then I can get down to business and finally use it. 

whippinpost91850

Got remote hooked up and worked without a hitch. I set up a Performance bank and it appears to be sending proper MIDI program change . So far so good. I have rehearsal tonight so don't have any more time today, I'll have more time tommorrow night to verify how everything works

It was very nice to just plug in Remote with supplied ethernet cord and have it work. Instead of power cord and 2 MIDI cables.

Elantric, just saw your post . I did the update Sunday to new Public Beta. No problems played with it for about 3 hrs at rehearsal without a hitch.

Tonemasterus

Got mine and hooked it up Saturday and it is a brick screen just shows scrolling black lines!  Kemper support no response yet!  Feel like I bought and expensive brick!  Frustrating!

Oh well!

whippinpost91850

Sorry to hear that . My shipping box was kind of torn up by UPS. But everything apears to be working fine. I'm surprised Support hasn't gotten back to you. I've had great luck with them. Hope It's something simple
I assume you did the 3.01 update

Tonemasterus

Yes did the update and tried everything!!

Just heard from Kemper they are sending me a new tested unit with a prepaid return label!  Now that is excellent customer service!

Whoo hoo!  Made my day!

Bill Ruppert

Hope you tried this:

Flash memory erase\update
If the Profiler's memory has been messed up by a defective profile\maxed out and the unit doesn't boot properly any longer, try this ([burkhard]. NOTE: all the rigs will be erased during this procedure):

push and hold soft button 1 (top left above display) while switching on the unit into Tuner Mode;
    keep pushing the button until the Booting Maintenance Mode message appears;
    in Maintenance mode push Maintenance, Memory, Init Flash, Yes, Ok, and shut down;
    start Profiler normally, enter your owner name at the end of the welcome sequence, then enter System Menu and push the Factory Rigs button. This will restore the factory rigs.

Quote from: Tonemasterus on March 17, 2015, 02:29:47 PM
Yes did the update and tried everything!!

Just heard from Kemper they are sending me a new tested unit with a prepaid return label!  Now that is excellent customer service!

Whoo hoo!  Made my day!

Tonemasterus

Thanks Bill,

I was speaking of the remote not the Kemper itself (even though I tried resetting the KPA too).  I think it is an issue with the lcd on the remote but who knows all I know is it doesn't work and Kemper is sending a new remote.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I scoured the Internet looking for a remote reset procedure and couldn't find anything and I tried re flashing all 3.0 firmwares with the remote attached to see if something would change the behavior, but nothing did.

Dave