Digitech Trio / Digitech Trio Plus

Started by Elantric, February 03, 2015, 04:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Digitech Trio

Check out this AMAZING new pedal from Digitech - it takes the chord progression that you play, and generates BASS and DRUM parts to match, for a huge range of genres. It could be the ultimate practice tool, as well as the ultimate weapon for solo performers.

http://digitech.com/en-US/products/trio

The TRIO is your own band inside a guitar pedal!
The TRIO listens to the way you play and automatically generates bass and drum parts that match your song. Just plug your guitar into TRIO, press the footswitch to teach TRIO your chords and rhythm, then press the footswitch again to start playing with your own personal band!

The TRIO provides seven music genres to choose from including: Blues, Pop, Alternative Rock, Rock, Country, R&B, and Jazz. Up to twelve song styles are available for each genre and you can select between 3/4 and 4/4 time signatures.

The TRIO can learn up to 3 different song parts which can then be recalled on-the-fly as the song plays back. An optional DigiTech FS3X Footswitch can be connected to the TRIO for easier, hands-free selection of song parts and styles.

The TRIO offers independent Genre, Style, Tempo, Bass and Drums controls; Guitar and Control Inputs; Amplifier, Mixer and Headphone Outputs; Built-in Guitar Effects (relative to music genre); a Soft Click Footswitch and includes a 9V DC adapter.

* Seven Music Genres and Twelve Song Styles Per Genre to Choose From
* The TRIO can learn up to three different song parts that can recalled on-the-fly
* Adjustable Tempo & Alternate Half Time/Double Time Variants
* Bass & Drum Level Controls
* Hands-Free Control Using a DigiTech FS3X Footswitch (optional)
* Amp & Mixer Outputs
* Headphone Output w/Level Control
* Power Supply Included

More Video

Chumly

I am intrigued! I wonder if Speckeen of IVL (who's behind the Vocalist etc.) had a hand in it and if there is a software equivalent such as BIAB. I have not checked in on BIAB for years so I have no idea if it's gotten to the point of accepting similar real-time inputs.
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

Alec Lee

I got to play with it a bit at NAMM. Cool piece of kit. The genre and style knobs are fun. It's wild to record a I-IV-V progression and turn the genre knob and hear the bass & drums morph.

VGA-7

Cool , finally an intelligent arranger for guitar!!! :D
Gibson L6S /gk2a , Bradley mini strat  /gk2a VGA-7 amp ,GR-33 , GP-10,SY1K, RMC breakout box, PK5 midi pedals,CM-64 sound module, Oberheim EDP  ,Boss RC-300,Digitech TRIO and TRIO +, Alesis DM5, GX2 Gear Shifter and GKPX-14

alexmcginness

I want one. This would be great for down and dirty backing tracks.
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

nervoteso

when will be it out? does it exist somethinng similar here around? any pc or ios software like this? it's a dream come true

mbenigni

Quote from: nervoteso on February 05, 2015, 02:48:12 AM
when will be it out? does it exist somethinng similar here around? any pc or ios software like this? it's a dream come true

I'm really hoping Digitech does something similar to what TC Helicon did with the VoiceLive 3, releasing a "Lite" version of the product in the form of an iOS app (in TC's case, Voice Jam Studio.)

Elantric

mbenigni

Argh - March 2015!  Kemper Profiler Remote, Digitech Trio, Playstation 4 (to coincide with the March release of Bloodborne LOL)...  Anyone got $1K they have no idea what to do with?  ;)

Elantric

QuoteArgh - March 2015!  Kemper Profiler Remote, Digitech Trio, Playstation 4 (to coincide with the March release of Bloodborne LOL)...  Anyone got $1K they have no idea what to do with?

Its the nature of mass production and "just in time" manufacturing

The typical cycle is:

1) Work 6-9 months to have a dozen prototypes working with beta firmware for CES / NAMM Trade show

2)  Obtain dealer orders

3) Place bulk order with Contract Asian Manufacturer

4) Wait 6 weeks for the production run in China and Freighter to cross the Pacific and arrive in USA, and arrive at Distribution center

mbenigni

QuoteIts the nature of mass production and "just in time" manufacturing

It isn't the wait that's killing me but all of the potential expenses (all luxuries, granted) piling up at the same time.  I'm dumping miscellaneous gear as fast as I can, but since I decided to keep my Kemper, I can't seem to scratch together music hobby "mad money" fast enough LOL.  2014 was an expensive year for us - luxuries notwithstanding - and 2015 isn't looking much better in that regard.

mordecai

I hear you mbenigni! Way to many cool things coming out. I think this Trio would be great for trying out song ideas and could see using a DAW to create some tracks that could be imported into Loopy HD or just directly placed into Loopy for some easy backing track use. I've been looking at the BeatBuddy and that is really a cool device as well.

Garageband/Logic X now have a drummer that is adaptive. You can record in a few bars or whatever you want. Then select "follow" and the program analysis the track you recorded and puts a beat to it. You can also mark different segments like verse or chorus and it will switch it up. Lots of fun in that.

But the Trio is different to me. What stands out is that when I am making a new song and feeling inspired it will listen and put a band to that idea and seemingly spur on that inspiration. That to me is the main difference, essentially real time song creation. From the videos it seems to capture the overall feel of a song. Now not sure I'd want an official recording with the use of this but for music ideas and quick basic backing track creation this seems like a winner.

Chumly

Here is an interesting thread comparing some of the pros and cons of TRIO versus BIAB (somewhat speculative I might assume because no one owns TRIO yet). Also it's my understanding that TRIO uses BIAB styles.  I have not owned BIAB for many years, but since I have been reading about TRIO it's piqued my interest in both products. http://www.pgmusic.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=281216
I think it's much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers which might be wrong. - Richard P. Feynman

Elantric

DreamTheory

I was just going to start a thread about the Trio. Digitech is coming up with some interesting ideas. The istomp "programmable pedal" for instance: The pedal that does nothing... until you download one of 47 virtual stompboxes. Seems perfect for the wishy washy type. They are gray though, so how do you tell them apart? Then they have this delay pedal that looks like an EHX knock off (art deco decal), and costs so much that you could buy two of their Element MFX pedals. What cool stuff could you do linking two together Elements?

Anyway the Trio is cool. Honestly I am not that good of a bass player or drummer, and this device is pretty much as good as I am, if not better. A lot of times I will write with acoustic guitar and then play a drum track that closely follows the strum accents. Even a really sensitive "band creator" would pull my writing away from where I am heading. So I would see this as a different approach of course.

The other question that is hard to assess on demo videos is how good/ how fake are the sounds.

But I am intrigued... it would save time on jamming and experimenting, and would probably school me quite a bit.
electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008

Explorer

In addition to the part shortage which delayed the first production run, the preorders on this have been huge. Tone King was using a loaner from one of the DigiTech staff who worked on it.

If you didn't get in on the initial preorders, it's not going to be easy to get a new one.

DreamTheory

This plus a GR-55 triggering 4 sounds and a TC Helicon vocal harmonizer pedal could get quite bizarre.
electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008

tracy

My preorder shipped from Sweetwater on Friday. I should see it mid-week!
@tracyevans    •     http://www.exhibitry.com

Elantric

QuoteMy preorder shipped from Sweetwater on Friday. I should see it mid-week!

Post your initial impressions?

tracy

This is currently my favorite guitar gadget! Instant fun. This will find a place in almost anyones process.

Composer - Teach the chord progressions to your Trio and skip through variety of styles for further inspiration. Practicing - scales and arpeggios are much more fun to drill with a tireless drummer and bass player. Solo busking - backing tracks have their uses, but not when it's time for a 15-minute freeform jazz jam.

Be sure to order the optional 3-button foot switch. You will want the more advanced control it provides. I like having the Trio pedal reachable up on a stand with the 3-button switch at my feet.

DreamTheory

How is it with more tonally complex chords?

tracy

Quote from: Dream_Theory on May 10, 2015, 03:02:38 AM
How is it with more tonally complex chords?

Trio is certainly your metallic "pal who's fun to be with!" (apologies to Douglas Adams) but these two robotic players much prefer you to keep it simple. They are far more Eliza than Hal. Here is advice from the Trio manual:

Stick to major/minor and 7th chords as much as possible when teaching the chord progression. You can always play more complex chords when you are jamming.

Elantric

mordecai

I had read that they were working together on this product. For some reason I had thought that stamp had always been there, who knows. After reading about Band-in-a-box involvement I decided to explore PG a bit more and it seems to have come a long way from when I first looked at their products. They also have a "listen" feature that isn't real time like the Trio but will listen to prerecorded audio track and put chord progression down. Just not sure if I can get with this hole idea of "canned music". I think for practice and just entertainment it's a viable option but for real music creation just not sure Band-in-a-box would be as satisfying as using a tripleplay or keyboard along with guitar etc. My main computer now is also an i7 MacBookPro and from what I have been reading PG treats Mac as an afterthought. As soon as I see a Mac 2015 version I may just bite and see what the fuss is about.

The Trio had me really excited but overall just not sure if I want to dumb down my playing, as I saw it as a creative song building tool over a practice tool. Now it just looks more like a practice device. But I myself have not been able to snag one yet.