Miku Stomp- Now THAT is truly weird

Started by Rhcole, December 01, 2014, 08:35:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

montyrivers

So, THAT's what happened to the Vocaloid.

GovernorSilver

Not on sale in the US yet?  I only see it listed in UK stores.

From the Korg website:

QuoteIn addition to the internal preset lyric patterns, MIKU STOMP provides a user area that lets you vocalize any desired lyrics. Operation is easy; use the dedicated iPhone app to enter text data, load it via your guitar pickup, and then just play your guitar. Hatsune Miku will immediately start singing your original lyrics. The user area accommodates up to 6,000 characters (*), so you'll be able to enter an entire song worth of lyrics. * Although this iPhone app can be used with an English system, MIKU STOMP's vocal functionality supports only Japanese. While it does not support input of English lyrics, it does support input of "romaji," the method of using the Latin alphabet to express Japanese. When entering Japanese directly, "hiragana" and "katakana" input are supported. - See more at: http://www.korg.com/us/products/effects/mikustomp/features.php#sthash.5e3PdbXl.dpuf

So if I wanted Miku to sing "War Ensemble" by Slayer, I would have to translate the English lyrics to the romaji syllables, by imagining how a Japanese person would pronounce them.

Original lyric: Propaganda death ensemble
Romaji lyric: Pu-ro-pa-ga-n-da de-su a-n-sam-bu-ru

Then I'd have to look up the character that represents each syllable ("Pu", "Ro", "Pa", etc.), then enter each character into the app.

I could see this pedal being discounted within the next two year on eBay and/or places like JRRShop.  I'd probably pick it up at that time.  I'm not as brilliant as Zappa, but I do love having a whimsical element in my music.

Elantric

QuoteNot on sale in the US yet?  I only see it listed in UK stores.

Try Ebay

A review by Peter Kirn

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2014/09/wtf-miku-stomp-box-sings-along-vocaloid-style/

WTF? KORG Miku Stomp Box Sings Along With You, Vocaloid Style
BY PETER KIRN
mikustomp
You're not hallucinating. This is a stomp box that adds a Japanese robot woman singing along as you play. If you've heard the now-popular Vocaloid effect, this is that, in a stompbox.
Just how Japanese is this product? Let us count the ways. First, let's just quote the product text:
Hatsune Miku sings when you play your guitar! A design that fuses the worlds of Hatsune Miku and guitar effects. Nearly unlimited possibilities; 11 lyric patterns are provided. Lyrics for "Senbonzakura" (a Japanese song) are preset. An iPhone app for entering lyrics is available, so you can make MIKU STOMP sing your original lyrics.
This all uses the latest Yamaha engine to make the sounds – "she" sings along to your actual playing.
There's a knob for different vocal modes. And yes, there's a Nyan mode. (Rejoice!)

Random 1, random 2
Scat
Looh
Lahh
Ahh
Pahh
Phrase 1, 2, 3
You can also use an iPhone app to add your own lyrics – though I'm all for adding Senbonzakura to your set list – enter them via your pickup, and cue your new robot lead vocalist with your foot.
Ah, yes – about those lyrics. This feature is slightly less accessible if you're an English speaker. I'll let KORG explain:
Although this iPhone app can be used with an English system, MIKU STOMP's vocal functionality supports only Japanese. While it does not support input of English lyrics, it does support input of "romaji," the method of using the Latin alphabet to express Japanese. When entering Japanese directly, "hiragana" and "katakana" input are supported.
Right. So, "Pahh" it is.
Then there's the artwork. I... um... I mean, the front panel design feels horribly wrong to me but I'm not living in the target region for this product. So I'll let them explain how it achieves a fusion of the world of Hatsune Miku with ... foot triggers or ... whatever:
The aluminum diecast body of this compact effect carries a specially commissioned original illustration. The design achieves a fusion of Hatsune Miku's world and the world of guitar effects. Whether you place it on a table or include it in your effect pedalboard, MIKU STOMP will certainly stand out and make your performance that much more enjoyable.
Yes... put it on a table. It's a decor option.
MIKU STOMP STOMP EFFECT
And so concludes the oddest news of this week.

GovernorSilver

That's not a review, it's a rant.

I respect Kirn in general, however.  8)

And I did mention eBay "within the next two years".  ;)

Rhcole

There's no question Zappa would have loved this!
Great for King Crimson too!

Monophonic, but if you buy SIX of them and then hook them up to a GP-10 and a computer...

BUT, before all of you guys line up to buy yours, watch a few of the videos...

The pedal has awful latency. Sounds like a quarter to a half a second to me. OK for slow ballads, but it won't do well for robot Anime renditions of Ella Fitzgerald's scat singing.

Darn!

Elantric

Quotebut it won't do well for robot Anime renditions of Ella Fitzgerald's scat singing.

If thats your thing - The GR-55 "Scat" works rather well with lower Latency

GovernorSilver

Quote from: Rhcole on December 02, 2014, 01:03:51 PM

The pedal has awful latency. Sounds like a quarter to a half a second to me.

You mean like in this video?

Yeah, he tries two-handed tapping, alternate picking, etc. to demonstrate the latency.  Even chord strums.  It's almost like he's trying various ways to get it to glitch on purpose.  I'm hardly a shreddin' geetarist, but I wouldn't use this pedal for moderately fast phrases ( eg. 8th notes at 180 bpm ) or faster. 

supernicd

Quote from: Elantric on December 02, 2014, 01:15:00 PM
If thats your thing - The GR-55 "Scat" works rather well with lower Latency

Never saw that video before, and it made me smile.  Thanks for sharing!
Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

Now_And_Then

Now if it were "GLaDOS STOMP" we'd have a deal.

Rhcole

sixeight

montyrivers

No joke, could probably use this pedal to pull off a nice sounding Erhu/Chinese Violin.  It's also rated highly on amazon lol

aliensporebomb

I want to connect a mic and SING into it! 

Seems like it could be great fun. 
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

sixeight

Quote from: aliensporebomb on June 12, 2015, 07:24:10 AM
I want to connect a mic and SING into it! 

Seems like it could be great fun.

It will take karaoke to new heights....