ghost installation question

Started by tcbkc111, March 23, 2012, 04:16:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcbkc111

So I built my own parts strat, only using a hexpander.  No pickups, just the piezo saddles/hexpander/13-pin cable to vg-99.  Whenever I use this guitar with my vg-99, I get horrible hum.

Since I don't have mag pickups, the regular output jack isn't wired to anything, and I didn't add any of the pots/switches/buttons for the hexpander.  So if it's a ground loop, what am I supposed to wire to eliminate it?

Anyone have any thoughts?  I really like the idea of this, but if I have to install a pickup or pot or something to ground to, then ok.

Jim Williams

It sounds like you have to ground the system I can't remember witch wire is the ground but it should be in your booklet that came with the hex-board.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

tcbkc111

It doesn't really explain how to ground the hexpander.  Only thing it shows being grounded is the midi volume pot, which I don't have, and it is connected to the output jack, which I also don't have (well, it's not being used anyways).  Without the volume pot, I don't know what I should be grounding.  Or where to ground it to.

Elantric

The Ghost install docs are here:

http://www.graphtech.com/pmanuals.html

http://www.graphtech.com/support/ghost-overview

For for lowest noise tie/solder your strings ground connection  (On the rear Tremolo spring claw ) to a Ground connection on the MIDI Expander board below.

Jim Williams

I suggest installing the hex volume and the switch for the S! and S2 switches to get the most of your V-guitar experience and ground the system. I have thought about making a guitar with only a 13 pin hex out but like any other pickup it needs to be properly grounded. another thing you need to do is place foam padding in the trem cavity because the peizos will pick up overtones from the [tremolo springs] yielding some unpleasant noise.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

tcbkc111

Got it, thanks everybody!

I hooked the trem claw ground up to one of the pegs on the hexpander, hum gone!