Off the wall - small enough piezo bridge saddles,

Started by kenact, November 29, 2013, 01:31:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenact

If someone made small enough piezo bridge saddles, how crazy would it be to make a dodec (12 string) piezo bridge with one set of strings going to a 13 pin output and the other set going to a second 13 pin output?
:o
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

gumbo

...you're my kind of crazy.. ;D

....although I suspect that cross-talk could be a problem...
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

Big Jim

Maybe you could put 6 saddles at the bridge and 6 at the nut?

kenact

Quote from: Big Jim on November 29, 2013, 03:10:25 PM
Maybe you could put 6 saddles at the bridge and 6 at the nut?

Two problems with that, once you fret a string the nut pickup would effectvely be dead.  Second, it doesn't address the problem of both strings sitting on the same pickup saddle.
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

gumbo

In theory, given the vast array of piezo 'elements' that are available..one would think that there would potentially be something small enough to be fitted under (or drilled into) an individual saddle...how you would (acoustically) insulate each saddle from its adjacent counterparts to prevent cross-talk would be the ultimate challenge of the exercise methinks..   By the time you had achieved that, I get the feeling you would have also 'insulated' the saddles from whatever guitar body you were using...    thus reducing resonance and sustain..

But then again, I could sell you a couple of my 13-pin jacks!!

...dunno...   yeah, maybe crazy but an interesting thing to ponder over a cold winter's night...

...let you know when I get one in about six months' time..   ;)

Cheers from Oz!
Peter

kenact

What started me thinking about it was the Rickenbacker 12 string bridge that can set intonation on all 12 strings individually. As for crosstalk, they've already figured that out for a six string, and a 12 string usually has a wider string spread, so I don't think that problem would be insurmountable.
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

gumbo

Quote from: kenact on November 30, 2013, 07:25:45 AM
What started me thinking about it was the Rickenbacker 12 string bridge that can set intonation on all 12 strings individually. As for crosstalk, they've already figured that out for a six string, and a 12 string usually has a wider string spread, so I don't think that problem would be insurmountable.

Yeah...don't know the Ricky bridge all that well, but I used to own a Strat XII years ago which had the similar capability with its bridge..I guess my 'cross-talk' concerns come from the fact that while a 12-string has slightly a wider spread, the individual saddles for string 'pairs' are certainly closer together than those of a normal 6-string layout ...   that's where I was coming from...

The next question would be, what would you want to send the individual sets of 6 string signals to????

..I like crazy ideas...let's try to co-ordinate Winters and make it happen sometime!!    :o

All the best
Peter

kenact

Quote from: gumbo on November 30, 2013, 07:40:52 AM
Yeah...don't know the Ricky bridge all that well, but I used to own a Strat XII years ago which had the similar capability with its bridge
Not familiar with the Strat XII bridge.  I'll have to look that one up.

..I guess my 'cross-talk' concerns come from the fact that while a 12-string has slightly a wider spread, the individual saddles for string 'pairs' are certainly closer together than those of a normal 6-string layout ...   that's where I was coming from...
All the hex piezo's have the string sitting in the center of the saddle. I was thinking that they could be built to sit on the edge rather than the middle.

The next question would be, what would you want to send the individual sets of 6 string signals to????

Any 2 of the GR/VG series or Axon units. I have 4 different GR synths to choose from. :)
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

Elantric

QuoteOff the wall
« on: Yesterday at 02:31:34 PM »
QuoteModifyRemoveSplit Topic
If someone made small enough piezo bridge saddles, how crazy would it be to make a dodec (12 string) piezo bridge with one set of strings going to a 13 pin output and the other set going to a second 13 pin output?

You will battle adjacent string to string mechanically coupled crosstalk which spoils alt tunings.

kenact

Quote from: Elantric on November 30, 2013, 09:03:21 AM
You will battle adjacent string to string mechanically coupled crosstalk which spoils alt tunings.

I use a Godin LGXT, which has a hex piezo trem bridge. I don't find much of a cross talk issue, and alternate tunings don't seem to be a problem either. I've used it with the GR-30, GR-33, GR-20 & GR-55.

I don't know if smaller saddles will introduce any problems.
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

Elantric

It's apples oranges.
What you describe is a Godin with a RMC designed piezo bridge which has already been designed for immunity to adjacent string crosstalk.

My point is that with a tightly spaced 12string piezo bridge, you should expect mechanical crosstalk.

kenact

Quote from: Elantric on November 30, 2013, 09:32:04 AM
My point is that with a tightly spaced 12string piezo bridge, you should expect mechanical crosstalk.

I didn't suggest it would be easy, only that it would be interesting.  :)
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

kenact

Quote from: Elantric on November 30, 2013, 09:32:04 AM
What you describe is a Godin with a RMC designed piezo bridge which has already been designed for immunity to adjacent string crosstalk.

Isn't Richard a member of the forum?  Maybe he could shed more light on the idea, which I assume could not be cost justified, but I'm still curious.  :)
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
Sentient 6
Cyr 7