VG-99 - Controller double assignments and conflicts prevent operation

Started by ktat, March 22, 2008, 07:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ktat

Hey guys,

I'm looking for a workaround.  In a couple of my sounds I assign an expression pedal to the ribbon control for filter sweeps or the DBeam pitch for whammy pedal effects.  In each instance, the DBeam or Ribbon switch must be turned on first.  Unlike other effect which can be saved in the on position, I can't get these to save "on."  It is a pain to not have them ready to go immediately when I switch to that patch.  The whammy could probably be worked around it the tuning section somehow, but I haven't found the filter anywhere else.  I need to be playing stuff with both hands while sweeping the filter with my foot rather than the ribbon controller.  Any ideas?

jon_bondy

My experience with the Ribbon and DBeam is different than yours: when I change their current state and save the patch, the current state is saved, too.  I've seen other people who have had similar problems because they had a parameter also assigned to some foot control, like an expression pedal.  When you switch to the patch, the two fight with each other: the patch starts out with the initial condition you specified, but then the pedal is applied, which over-rides.  Is there any chance that you have accidentally also assigned these parameters to a switch or pedal?

:)

Jon

ktat

I think I should have been more specific in my title of this post.  Yes, there is a conflict with the pedal because I am assigning the foot controller to do the job of the DBeam or Ribbon controller.  Those two devices will stay "on" with a save without a problem.  When I assign a pedal to control pitch or filter, it takes an extra click of a designated on switch to get the pedal to control the assigned parameter.  Maybe that is just the way it is.

XISTH information

Quote from: ktat on March 23, 2008, 07:20:50 AM
I think I should have been more specific in my title of this post.  Yes, there is a conflict with the pedal because I am assigning the foot controller to do the job of the DBeam or Ribbon controller.  Those two devices will stay "on" with a save without a problem.  When I assign a pedal to control pitch or filter, it takes an extra click of a designated on switch to get the pedal to control the assigned parameter.  Maybe that is just the way it is.

I've found a workaround that should work with a footpedal. Make an additional assignment to the footpedal to switch the D Beam (or Ribbon) on. Now, here's the clever bit. Set the minimum footpedal value to 'on' AND the maximum value to 'on'.

That should do the trick.

guitari

Is there a hold function with the ribbon?

That is when you put your hand on it and you sweep the filter to a great sound
some way to take your finger off of it and maintain the awesome sound you
landed on... that is until you put your finger back down to change it...

> ?

Guitari

pasha811

I was programming a patch using Control Assign 1 so that the ribbon filter could have controlled by Internal or Wave Pedal and in the first case (Internal) triggered by
GK S1. While in Edit mode all worked fine. No glitches.  As soon as I wrote the patch. No Wave Pedal or Internal Pedal worked anymore.
To restore behavior I had to play some voodoo style approach with the ribbon filter:

CTRL Assign 1, assign both wave pedal to Ribbon Filter Control and to Ribbon Filer Sw
Play and at the same time swipe your finger on the ribbon until Wave takes control.
From this moment on the unit operates as expected.
If you want to avoid Voodoo then simply do a Factory Reset of System/GK/Global.

Is this problem documented (Writing a patch with Internal or Write Pedal makes it not working when connected to Ribbon Filter Control)?

- Best
- Pasha ???
Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

sixeight

pasha811

Listen to my music at :  http://alonetone.com/pasha/

sixeight

warblingotter

I have an issue with one of my downloaded patches and it is to do with the guitar volume. All other patches (around 30) work OK and the guitar volume from 0 through to ten on my Roland Strat work as expected. ie 0 is off and 10 is max volume. In this particular patch it seems as though something internally is setting a volume which I cannot exceed using the guitar volume. Sympton is volume 0 on the guitar is off as expected. Volume 1-3 work as exspected but turning the guitar volume past 3, up to 10, make no difference. Please remember all other patches with my guitars volume control work OK. Where should I start?  :-[

Brent Flash

Welcome to the group warblingotter!  :)

Could you post that patch here so we can take a look at it?

warblingotter

I will post it tomorrowif that is OK as I am just going out now to band practice. Any specific format you require?

Brent Flash

Quote from:  warblingotter on November 28, 2012, 08:20:10 AM
I will post it tomorrowif that is OK as I am just going out now to band practice. Any specific format you require?
If you would use the EDITOR and go to FILE/EXPORT SMF/PATCH... will save a .mid file which is the format we use here on the forums for VG-99 patches.

Then post a reply, click on "+Attachments and other options" below the text window then "Choose File" in the ATTACH: area.

That should do it.

More than likely you have a limited controller range or conflicting controller assigns. There are too many to list and would be easier just to look for them in the patch.

warblingotter

OK. I will send to you today. I really hope you can help me here as we are playing live tomorrow, Friday, evening. As additional information I also noticed last night the following. I use patch #1 with the correct volume set on Guitar and within the VG99 and it works fine. I then select patch #2 (the one I have the problem with the 'max' volume issue). When I then select patch#1 again it is still set at the same volume as patch# 2 until I actually move the guitar volume control a little (say from 3 to 4 and then back to 3) which then gives me the correct volume for the patch. This is not a guitar volume control knob issue as I have the same problem on both my guitars. One is a Roland Strat with inbuilt roland controls and the other a Strat with external controls. It's drivng me nutts as you can imagine.  :-[It will be a nightmare tomorrow unless I can solve it

warblingotter

OK here is my patch. Something else I have noticed today. It all works as expected when I am connected using the USB interface. I don't know if that helps yu or not. The USB is not good when playing live though since when changes patches in mid song I alwats seem to get a 'blip' using the band in a box backing software and I would prefer to have seperate controls over the guitar and backing track sounds instead of just the one output

warblingotter

PLEASE IGNORE MY COMMENTS ABOUT IT WORKING FINE USING THE USB. It doesn't. It's still the same problem. Just me being stupid so sorry for the confusion. ???

papabuss

Quote from:  warblingotter on November 29, 2012, 02:10:38 AM
OK here is my patch. Something else I have noticed today. It all works as expected when I am connected using the USB interface. I don't know if that helps yu or not. The USB is not good when playing live though since when changes patches in mid song I alwats seem to get a 'blip' using the band in a box backing software and I would prefer to have seperate controls over the guitar and backing track sounds instead of just the one output
I'm not at my VG99 at the moment.
It's not the patch that I posted here, isn't it?
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6175.0
FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

warblingotter

No its not that one.  I have downloaded that too but it was another one I downoaded specifically to get a starting point to customise a lead for 'ALL RIGHT NOW' by free. I can't remeber the original name though. :(

Brent Flash

I am taking a look at the patch you posted here and the volume recalls low but once I turn the GK volume it works like expected. It gets louder throughout the travel from 0 to 100%. Also the file name is Breakfree but the patch name is Dukes of Cymru X. Is this the patch you are having trouble with?

Brent Flash

I took that patch and saved it with the volume up and put a little crunch in it like is used on the song alright now, I also set the pickup select so you can get some different tones by using the GK buttons. Did a few other things like put GTR B on volume.

Remember that if you have ASSIGN HOLD set to ON that your levels from patch to patch will follow to the new patch and if you have ASSIGN HOLD set to OFF the levels will recall as saved.

Let me know if you need anything more.

warblingotter

thans for that i will give it a try. here is my file again. hopefully the correct one this time

Brent Flash

Quote from:  warblingotter on November 29, 2012, 01:09:54 PM
thans for that i will give it a try. here is my file again. hopefully the correct one this time
No this one is an INIT PATCH, everything turned off. You have to have your VG on and connected to the computer via USB then open the editor.
Select the patch (the name will show in the editor) and then once it is selected go to FILE/EXPORT SMF/PATCH...

warblingotter

warblingotter

Brent Flash

ASSIGN HOLD is in the SYSTEM / CTL area.

The new patch you just posted is call Break Free% (file name Breakfree#3.mid and has no controllers assigned.