Pat Martino: Here and Now

Started by Elantric, April 08, 2016, 03:49:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

This is a "must hear" 47 minutes of enlightenment!

Buy Pat's book Here and Now: http://www.jwpepper.com/Here-and-Now%...

Pat Martino is one of the greatest jazz guitarists ever to grace the stage. This interview is an in-depth look at some of his achievements, history, perseverance and philosophy.

www.patmartino.com

Created by J.W. Pepper
Filmed & Edited by Rocco Richardson
Asst. Filming by Frank Guardino & Mark Patterson
Interviewer: Al Moretti
Produced by Al Moretti, Denise Collins & Rocco Richardson

Autana

Thanks for posting this here. A sign of breadth of mind about arts and music that I admire and respect in this forum. Pat Martino is a hero for many  jazz guitar players at every level, but also an example of an intense life and infinite will and belief.
GR-55, GP-10, GI-20, Godin xtSA, GodinNylon MultiAc, Giannini classical, 3 GK-3'd gtrs, Cube 80XL, Primova GKFX-21 (x2)

Fear just pulls you out of being true to music, which is coming from a place of love. Love is the opposite of fear. I stay away from anything fear-related.
- Tal Wilkenfeld -

Elantric

Autana

Quote from: Autana on April 08, 2016, 04:27:34 PM

but also an example of an intense life and infinite will and belief.

Quoting myself I add this article excerpt from Guitarplayer.com

-------- //////

10 Things You Gotta Do to Play Like Pat Martino

BY  Jesse Gress
January 28, 2010
Guitarplayer.com

Pat Martino is a true guitar player and he can teach you how to think like one. Encouraged by his father, a professional singer and guitarist who loved taking his son to Philadelphia's jazz hot spots to hear the likes of Wes Montgomery and Les Paul, Pat Martino (born Pat Azzara in 1944) began playing guitar when he was 12 and left school in the tenth grade to devote himself to music. Also inspired by Johnny Smith, the preteen prodigy raised Les Paul's eyebrows, dropped out of school at 15 to hit the road with jazz organist Charles Earland, and then followed his 6- string muse to Harlem, where honed his craft as a sideman for tenor sax man Willis Jackson and Hammond B-3 giant Don Patterson, which led to stints with Richard "Groove" Holmes and Brother Jack McDuff. Martino soon signed on with Prestige and recorded El Hombre (1967), his debut as a leader and the first of a string of releases that included Strings! (1967), East! (1968), Baiyina (The Clear Evidence) (1968), and Desperado (1970). With each title more adventurous than the previous one, these recordings pushed the boundaries of post-modern bop and established Martino as a major jazz artist. He joined the Muse label for Live! (1972), Consciousness (1974), Exit, and We'll Be Together Again (both 1976) before jumping to Warner Bros. for two forays into fusion, Starbright (1976) and Joyous Lake (1978). As GP's Darrin Fox put it, "Martino's awe-inspiring technique, endlessly inventive lyricism, and driving feel—thanks to a wicked picking hand that can deliver endless streams of notes with a stunningly beautiful and powerful attack— have made him one of jazz guitar's most dynamic, singular exponents." During the late '70s, Martino was also a frequent visiting instructor at Hollywood's G.I.T., where he was revered as a guru, and his brilliant seminars enlightened students with improvisational ideas and concepts that had as much to do with geometry as music.

But in 1980, fate intervened as Martino was stricken with a brain aneurism, and the reparative surgery left him with virtually no memory of family, career, or how to play the guitar. Some might call his recovery a miracle, but it was Martino's inner drive and lust for life that eventually led to a complete recovery, and the deep-thinking guitarist seemingly picked up where he left off, recording more than ten albums, including his comeback, The Return (1987), Think Tank (2003), and his latest, Remember: A Tribute to Wes Montgomery (Blue Note). Pat currently maintains a healthy teaching and touring schedule (he's gigging and conducting seminars in Tokyo as I write this), as well as a splendid website (patmartino.com) where you can check out bio info, a complete discography, multimedia presentations, and stream non-stop Martino audio. So you want to play guitar like a real hero? First, you've gotta...
GR-55, GP-10, GI-20, Godin xtSA, GodinNylon MultiAc, Giannini classical, 3 GK-3'd gtrs, Cube 80XL, Primova GKFX-21 (x2)

Fear just pulls you out of being true to music, which is coming from a place of love. Love is the opposite of fear. I stay away from anything fear-related.
- Tal Wilkenfeld -

thebrushwithin

Went to one of his clinics...what a story he has to tell...what a great musician!!!

GovernorSilver

Damn, nice find!

He has a course on TrueFire that I may invest in eventually.

chrish

Many years ago i purchased the Pat Martino 'creative force' REH vhs video instructional tapes. The man's a powderhouse of creative inspiration.

Mack

Will be in the audience on July 23, at the Jazz Standard, NYC, early show..cannot wait!
Twilight Zone Box set
1998 Roland Mex strat., VG99 w/FC300
VG8 S-1, GR33,
Line 6 Vaiax JTV59 w P90's.
Sonar Platinum:
Band In A Box 2015
Acid, Firepod, Scarlett interfaces
Window 7 Tower, Windows 10 Lap
Alvarez ARDA
Takamine cedar
Cordoba Nylon
Epiphone 1972 Jap dread