GK3 pickup install onto a strat with strap locks

Started by macman70, October 21, 2014, 03:55:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

macman70

Hi Guys

My stock Fender Blackmore strat has strap locks. Will the GK3 pickup install ok? I am just wondering as the strap lock at base of guitar is flush with guitar surface.

Here is pic:
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/StratRBOWT?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&utm_term=DSA_-_Product&adpos=1t1&device=c&network=g&gclid=CJOG-pfKvcECFWcF7AodsU0ADA

In addition, will my 9-42 gauge strings trigger and track ok thru GK3 Pickup?

thanks in advance and this is for a potential install for the Boss GP-10.

GraemeJ

Quote from: macman70 on October 21, 2014, 03:55:05 AM
My stock Fender Blackmore strat has strap locks. Will the GK3 pickup install ok? I am just wondering as the strap lock at base of guitar is flush with guitar surface.

Here is pic:................

In addition, will my 9-42 gauge strings trigger and track ok thru GK3 Pickup?

Picture of the straplock button itself would have been more useful!

My Fender Strat has standard Dunlop straplock buttons and the GK3 is fine with them.  However, from your description, it sounds as though you have the recessed type and I think these could be a problem, as I doubt there is enough 'meat' to anchor against the GK3 slotted plate (and you would have to widen the slot, just to accommodate the diameter of the strap pin).

I use 9-42's and have no tracking problems.

macman70

Yeah sorry for not sending a more detailed pic. I am a bit worried about the GK3 staying in place. I honestly think the Roland GC1 is way to go for me. It looks a well built instrument and I love the way the GK3 is incorporated into the guitar.

thanks for feedback man, appreciate it!

Elantric

Might look for a 1997 Ritchie Blackmoore Signature Strat with GK-2A (factory installed)

mbenigni

That guitar is pretty rare, and very expensive if I recall correctly.  In addition to the factory GK and scalloped fretboard it was either a set neck or neck-thru with carved heel.  Very cool guitar.

I bumped into one of the non-GK Blackmoore's at a GC last year and it didn't do much for me.

EDIT:  Looks like we just had this discussion last year. :)  https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7867.0