GR-55 - The Ultimate Piano

Started by Jim Williams, April 24, 2012, 11:20:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Williams

Here is a great sounding piano patch. If you have your GK settings set up right and you edit the Velocity settings in both PCM Pianos to match your playing you will not miss a note. If you don't play sloppy you not get any miss-triggers. If you don't set up the GK settings correctly you will not have that much luck with piano sounds at all.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

whippinpost91850

joe_44850

shopstartuk

Hi Jim

Great patch but could you explain what the GK settings should be, for me the only problem is that the highest strings, G,B & E are too quiet and more guitar sounding than piano.

thanks

Steve
Fender Strat Plus Delux
Fender Tele 60th
Roland GR 55

Jim Williams

shopstartuk, Setting up the GK-3 is tricky in the sense that for every guitar and every player it will be different. There are some 'outside the box" ideas that can apply but first you have to set up the string sensitivity as suggested in the manual and if you still have a problem with volumes there is a problem with the equipment. The first thing I would look for is the proper placement of your GK-3 divided pickup. The next thing to look for is clean 13 pin connections. clean the cables with DeoxIT sometimes the new cables are shipped with a coating to prevent oxidation. If this fails sometimes the cable shipped with the GR-55 just plain sucks and have your local music store order you a new one (I think the ones shipped with the GR-55 are of a lesser quality). Your GK-3 may be faulty (however not likely) but you might want to take it back to the place you bought it from and test it out. I had to replace the cable and I have not regretted it it made all the difference in the world. I did try the DeoxIT and it worked for a while but cable replacement was a more permanent solution. Best of luck to you and after you have your string volumes figured out Skype me at gtrjimmy413 and I will be glad to help you set your GR-55 set up to track well and have the dynamics that will give a good midi performance.
Cheers!

shopstartuk

Hi Jim

Thanks for all the advice, when I got the Gr55 I went through all the setup of the GK pickup, have the sensitivity as high as possible without maxing out, and distances set from the bridge to the pickup, volumes are fine.

Not sure what that cleaning fluid is you mentioned I will have to search for it (I am in Spain so it might have a different name).

Problem is I still have too many false notes when using PCM tones, some are fine but more noticable with keyboards and piano tones.

cheers

Steve
Fender Strat Plus Delux
Fender Tele 60th
Roland GR 55

Jim Williams

Steve I have posted in other treads on this forum on ways to improve this problem (this is where thinking outside the box comes into play). the piano is one of the hardest instruments to trigger with a guitar controller so Skype me (I hope your English is better than my Spanish LOL) and I can get you up and running (I have learned some stuff that is not in the manual). There are some more variables in getting good tracking with no miss-triggered notes.

shopstartuk

Hi Jim

I'll send you a Skype, dont worry I'm English but living in Spain so no problem

cheers and thanks in advance

Steve
Fender Strat Plus Delux
Fender Tele 60th
Roland GR 55

shawnb

Jim -

I had the same problem as shopstartuk.  Did you really want the Level Velocity Sens to be +30 on both PCM voices?   That's how it loaded for me, and the tones would only play if I beat VERY VERY hard on the strings.   Some strings wouldn't sound at all. 

To fix, I brought the Level Velocity Sens down for both PCM tones to the range of 0 to +4. 

Shawn
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Jim Williams

Your velocity settings will differ if your GK settings are different from mine. you will have to make adjustments for your guitar. I use a Ghost system on my guitar and the setup will be more sensitive than a GK-3 so if have to make changes in the Velocity that would be normal.

Klaus

I now this is an old post but it really deserve to pop up again!

I was kind of annoyed about how difficult it was to play with piano sounds until I downloaded your patch.  Fantastic it just working so much better so I have adapted the settings to all my Piano patches only with a few tweaks. Thanks so much Jim.

Cheers
Klaus 

Jim Williams

No problem, Klaus... I have tried to make a better sounding patch and I wasn't going after a more playable patch. You can tweak the dynamics and nuance settings in each instrument and get some good results. Remember the settings that work for me may not work as well for you, so tweak away.

Autana

Thanks lots Jim, I steadily go hunting new piano patches for GR-55, this is nice,  and cool tips too !   thumbs up!
GR-55, GP-10, GI-20, Godin xtSA, GodinNylon MultiAc, Giannini classical, 3 GK-3'd gtrs, Cube 80XL, Primova GKFX-21 (x2)

Fear just pulls you out of being true to music, which is coming from a place of love. Love is the opposite of fear. I stay away from anything fear-related.
- Tal Wilkenfeld -

jeremydunit

love it. still have some adjusting to do on my gk though....just cant seem to hear pull-offs and hammerons...not sure which setting I need to adust..agrevating.
schecter hellraiser with gk3 on the bridge, gr55 and more to come!

Elantric

Quotestill have some adjusting to do on my gk though....just cant seem to hear pull-offs and hammerons...not sure which setting I need to adjust..aggrevating.

Follow the procedures outlined here

Shawn's GR-55 Setups & Settings Hints
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=31

Jim Williams GR-55 Setup Tips
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=26

Klaus

Quote from: jeremydunit on November 16, 2015, 03:16:57 PM
love it. still have some adjusting to do on my gk though....just cant seem to hear pull-offs and hammerons...not sure which setting I need to adust..agrevating.

Hi, I had the same problem and its is because the Velocity - Level Velocity Sensitivity is set so high. But at the same time it's also why it is so much better to play because you don't hear all the funny Ghost notes.

The setting in Jim's patch the it is set to 30 so I have set mine down to 15 because I couldn't hear the hammerons and pull-offs either, so try that.
Remember to do it in both Synth 1 and Synth 2

Hope that helps.

Jim Williams

Yes as I have posted in the past... The dynamics will have to do with your GK settings and the way you play.

jeremydunit

thank u both so frikkin much!  it did  it and it made a huge difference, now I can play home sweet home or whatever and no  "doubling" of notes.
schecter hellraiser with gk3 on the bridge, gr55 and more to come!

Klaus