GR-55 guitar out for VoiceLive 3 harmonies

Started by Barry Dalchow, September 24, 2015, 01:06:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Dalchow

Hi All, can anyone please advise if it is possible to get a dry guitar output from the GR-55 in addition to using the cosm, modelling and synth sounds? I need to get a dry guitar signal into my TC Helicon VoiceLive 3 (VL3) to generate harmonies from the chords I play and as the GK feeds direct into the GR-55 there isn't a way I know of to maybe duplicate a dry guitar signal for the VL3. I have not purchased the GR-55 yet based on this requirement. Any advise or tips are warmly welcomed.

Thanks - baz

gumtown

The "guitar out" sends dry guitar, which can be normal pickup, modelled guitar, or both.
The guitar out has no effects or amp modelling, just dry guitar.
The modelled and normal pickup can also be routed through the GR-55 for amp modelling and effects.

Guitar out settings can be set globally, or by each patch.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Elantric

Set the GR-55 Guitar Output "Source" to the "Modeling " setting if you want the VoiceLive to track Alt tuned guitars

See GR-55 Owners manual page 80 for all the signals and settings available for the GR-55 Guitar Out jack

GraemeJ

Wouldn't it be easier to run the guitar into the VL3 first, then use the VL3 guitar out to drive the GR55?

gumtown

Quote from: GraemeJ on September 24, 2015, 03:39:33 AM
Wouldn't it be easier to run the guitar into the VL3 first, then use the VL3 guitar out to drive the GR55?
With a 13 pin GK cable and GK hexaphonic pickup?
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

GraemeJ

Quote from: gumtown on September 24, 2015, 04:09:51 AM
With a 13 pin GK cable and GK hexaphonic pickup?

Definitely not!!

That will teach me to have a cup of coffee in the morning, before checking the forums ;) .

pedwards2932

On my VoiceLive touch I hook up midi out on GR55 to Midi In on VLT and it works great.....as I recall it worked more accurately than guitar out.

Willie941

Quote from: pedwards2932 on September 24, 2015, 10:14:28 AM
On my VoiceLive touch I hook up midi out on GR55 to Midi In on VLT and it works great.....as I recall it worked more accurately than guitar out.
Interesting, I have the Voicelive2, and guess they work the same way. Gonna try tomorrow. 😀
Parker Nitefly SA w/GK3
Godin ACS SA Nylon
Roland GR 55 and VG 88
Fishman SA220 Soloamp
TC Helicon Voicelive2

Litesnsirens

I have this exact configuration and I do exactly as elantric suggests.  Set guitar out to model, then run to the guitar in on the voice live 3.  I find it tracks better for harmonies than the midi.

Litesnsirens

In regard to this combination GR-55 and VL3 and the possibilities, also see my recent thread Midi Question, found here https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=16351.0
With a ton of help from Gumtown I was able to figure out how to control my VoiceLive 3 from the GR55 using the control pedal (or EXP pedal Switch) on some patches and disable it on others.  Since they talk on different CC numbers it requires the use of a midi solutions event processor http://www.midisolutions.com/prodevp.htm

It's a pretty cool piece of gear you can program up to 10 functions into it, I first bought this device so that if I went over preset 128 the voicelive 3 would follow into the second and third banks.  The problem being that GR55 sends bank change on MSB and VL3 receives on LSB, so the event processor was converting my MSB to LSB.  So as I scrolled through the presets using s1 and s2 the VL3 would follow preset per preset. 

When I switched to calling up presets using my ipad I no longer needed the event processor for that function.  I re-enlisted it for this purpose of activating the hit button on the VL3 from my GR-55 CTL pedal.  It's more useful in situations where you have to change something on the GR55 at the same time as the VL3.  ie; switching a guitar tone at the same time as you turn on a harmony.